Recent things I have done right...

Manny Fufish

Power User
Hey guys, I thought it would be helpful to have a thread where we talk about what we have found works well for us so we can all give these things a try. If you tried something recently and it worked well, post it here!

Scott's NF/FF approach on presets. Worked this on my presets and I hope to try his this weekend.

Added a Boss FV-500L expression pedal to my MFC-101 on Mark Day's recommendation. Built for bear, very smooth, and 100 bucks even. Good stuff.

Swapped out the pickups in my JTV-59 with Suhr Aldridge pickups. HUGE improvement in tone!!! Early beta versions of this guitar had Seymour Duncan's in them and people seem to like their analog sound... I wasn't crazy about the analog sound in mine, but after putting Aldridge pickups in, I LOVE it! Hot pickups, so they tickle the reds nicely. Need to roll the volume down a bit for cleans, and when you crank them into a HBE or 5153 or the like it's insane bliss!!! I can't emphasize enough how much better this sounds. If you bought one of these guitars, YOU HAVE TO DO THIS MOD!!! Lovin it! I like them so much, I'm looking to order the Nickel Covered set for my brand new SC-58 (which is my baby!), and be able to go between the 57/08s that came in it and the Suhrs.

5 minutes ago I pulled the trigger on the Matrix GT1000FX 2U!!! Stay tuned for feedback soon on this one my friends!

Hey guys, I thought it would be helpful to have a thread where we talk about what we have found works well for us so we can all give these things a try. If you tried something recently and it worked well, post it here!

Scott's NF/FF approach on presets. Worked this on my presets and I hope to try his this weekend.

Added a Boss FV-500L expression pedal to my MFC-101 on Mark Day's recommendation. Built for bear, very smooth, and 100 bucks even. Good stuff.

Swapped out the pickups in my JTV-59 with Suhr Aldridge pickups. HUGE improvement in tone!!! Early beta versions of this guitar had Seymour Duncan's in them and people seem to like their analog sound... I wasn't crazy about the analog sound in mine, but after putting Aldridge pickups in, I LOVE it! Hot pickups, so they tickle the reds nicely. Need to roll the volume down a bit for cleans, and when you crank them into a HBE or 5153 or the like it's insane bliss!!! I can't emphasize enough how much better this sounds. If you bought one of these guitars, YOU HAVE TO DO THIS MOD!!! Lovin it! I like them so much, I'm looking to order the Nickel Covered set for my brand new SC-58 (which is my baby!), and be able to go between the 57/08s that came in it and the Suhrs.

5 minutes ago I pulled the trigger on the Matrix GT1000FX 2U!!! Stay tuned for feedback soon on this one my friends!

Great idea for a thread. You will LOVE the matrix 2U!

Great idea for a thread. You will LOVE the matrix 2U!

Thanks funny_polymath, I think I will as well. At some point I want to talk to you about your fEarfull rig. It sounds like it's a very good guitar rig and it sounds like it would be the ULTIMATE Bass rig!

For some time now I have had the thought of having a small well protected rack case, with a power conditioner, Axe II, and Matrix GT1000FX (that last one has changed over the years :)). Then I would have multiple cab options for gigs. I would have the CoAxial FRFRs (again most recent contestant in an ever changing spot) for 'high variety' gigs (ie cover tunes) and also sets of 2x12 cabs with speaker combinations that would work for that gig. Maybe a DrZ 2x12 loaded for a country gig, a Heritage/V30 set for a Rock show, Tony Bruno with Alnico Blues for a more mellow gig, etc... Then I would have the fEarfull box for when I need to sit in on Bass... One small rack and LOTS of cab possabilities. 2x12 keeps the size down for storage, and let's you mix and match left and right, swapping speakers also opens up possabilies. Instead of collecting amps and pedals, I will collect guitars and cabs. :)

Current thoughts anyway...

Recent things; Dial down the drive!!! You do NOT need a lot of drive in order to get a really nice high gain chunky tone. Totally surprised by it. But yeah. My high gain patch sounds a lot better now, it's even better to play them now.

Back
Top Bottom