Reb Beach 80's Sound

I assume you have the EMG actives in your Suhr Reb Beach sig guitar?

I thought he always had a unique "hi-fidelity" kind of cranked Marshall tone that was very identifiable. I assume a lot of it is due to those pickups.

AWESOME ! You've got it almost too thick !

The KOA and EMG's definitely make it ! Because I dialed it up on my PRS CU-24 and it's not near the same ....

On my rig, it's "good" but it's not REB .... Time to buy a Suhr I guess !

Last edited:

I thought he always had a unique "hi-fidelity" kind of cranked Marshall tone that was very identifiable. I assume a lot of it is due to those pickups.

Will he always used a Marshall that was moded by J.Surh so the OD100 tone fits go even with the old stuff.

AWESOME ! You've got it almost too thick !

The KOA and EMG's definitely make it ! Because I dialed it up on my PRS CU-24 and it's not near the same ....

On my rig, it's "good" but it's not REB .... Time to buy a Suhr I guess !

Thanks. Suhr is great!!!!! Can you help me out with the "too Thick", How can I lower it a little?

Well ..., first of all don't make any changes if you're digging it ! Keep in mind I did say "almost" ... !

But ..., I'd start w/any of the Low-Cuts and maybe lower the Proximity in your Cab ....

But you have to be careful ..., Reb likes a lot of low-end in his tone and you might easily pull too much out !

But that's where I'd start ....

If that doesn't do it, then look to reduce the mids. I'm not sure how much of the push you're getting now is due to the combination of the EMG's and the KOA. I'm assuming A LOT. But if that's not the case, messing w/the mids will suck the tone out even quicker ....

It's a delicate balance and frankly I think you're 90% to 95% there !

I was just messing with another of your Reb Beach patches last night. I usually build up a bunch of patches and then go through and pick 5 to try at the next practice. That one made the cut. Now there is another contender!

Plus his pick articulation is impossibly clean, like Steve Morse. That combined with the EMG's *is* very distinctive!

Back
Top Bottom