ReAmping with S/PDIF Connections

Since we are having to rebuild the forum's knowledge base, I thought I'd share this...

I have been able to successfully (well,... mostly) set up ReAmping of my guitar signal, staying completely in the digital domain, using the Axe-Fx's S/PDIF connections and my Digi 002R interface on my Mac (PPC) and Pro Tools LE 7.4.

I created a 24 bit 48K session and set the sync to internal.

I first tested the digital outputs while using the front analog input on the Axe-Fx and all was well. I was concurrently able to monitor sound through the analog outputs with no issues.

I then routed my direct guitar signal (by way of my Radial Engineering JD-7) into an Aux track in Pro Tools and out to the Axe-Fx via the digital connections (Pro Tools S/PDIF out to Axe-FX S/PDIF in), while keeping the digital connection from the Axe-Fx to Pro Tools (Axe-FX S/PDIF out to Pro Tools S/PDIF in). Here, I was able to monitor the audio, however there seemed to be some audible pulsing when not actively playing, but which was covered up when playing. When attempting to monitor the Axe-Fx's analog outs, however, there was only a very loud pulsing of white noise bursts (I'm assuming this is relating to the sync signal) and no guitar signal heard.

Next, I attempted an actual ReAmping session, with first recording the direct signal into Pro Tools on an Audio Track, then routing playback of this track out the the Axe-Fx via the digital connections and recording the sound. I noticed that the recorded sound did not suffer from any of the pulsing or white noise bursts. It seems that this only occurs while simultaneously using the digital inputs and outputs and monitoring this in real time. I'm not sure why this is or what causes it ( :?: maybe someone can explain?).

So, ReAmping was successful in terms of the end-result, but real-time monitoring (or concurrent use of the analog outputs) was less so.

Anyone else have experience here that they can share?

Cheers,

Yeah right now you can not use the analog outs if you have selected Digital input,

Probably the DACs run on internal crystal and it's possible that the hardware cannot redirect the recovered clock from S/PDIF input to the DACs, etc...

i think the 002 wants the spdif input to be the clock source, and the axe is also designed to clock off of digital in....so they both want the other to be the master, this is probably the culprit, right?

if you have extra inputs you could record the dry signal through an additional analog input - just create a split within the axe and send it to output 2.

Back
Top Bottom