Reamping with No USB

slinky005

Power User
My recording setup is using a RME Fireface II which is a higher end sound card/box.
My method for recording the Axe is SPDIF.
I can not use usb for many reasons but mostly because I use a lot of virtual instruments in my tracks and soon as I switch to the usb driver, my system crawls to a snails pace.
I'm assuming not enough bandwidth for the amount and type of tracks I'm using.
So if I want to reamp I want to be able record the dry track and a stereo processed track from the Axe.
Since SPDIF can only carry two channels, is it not possible to do this and stay completely digital?
I am assuming not because the RME only has 1 SPDIF in/out.
I know I can do this if one of the signals is recorded analog but would prefer to stay digital if possible.

Ok after some thought and experimenting I've decided that in most cases I will record a mono guitar signal.
In a typical setup I would want to record the processed track and dry track at the same time.
Given my question above using a SPDIF connection, do I send dry signal to left and processed to right?
Getting very confused as to how to set it up in the grid or if I'm even in the ballpark as to how to set this up in general.

Create a second path of shunts across the entire grid. That will be the dry signal. At the layout menu mixer page, set the balance of the 2 rows in use L & R. It doesn't matter which signal is left, just pick one and set the other right.

If you use the input gate, your dry track will have that gating on it, so when reamping you'll probably want to disable the input gate. Or disable input gate when tracking, optionally placing a gate/exp block in the processed path.

You can skip the mixer blocks and just set the layout mixer row balances L/R. (Click "output" in AE or page right at layout menu w/ front panel.)

If the opposite balance was muting the dry signal it's probably one of two things--you either have another balance control in that row set to one side, or input 1 mode is "stereo". Set it to "left" unless you need to use In 1R for a second guitar or something else.

back up...

"when I switch to the usb driver"

I don't think that's right. You're audio driver should remain the fireface. Disable the Axe Fx as audio device in your control panel. you're simply using the midi connection to transmit data, you're not using the axe as your soundcard. When I use my Axe Fx, or Axe Edit, via USB it still uses my Focusrite interface as the primary asio driver.

Also, when playing back you can raise the sample rate in your ASIO settings. This will reduce stutter and breakup of your VST effects. But it will increase latency if you are tracking. I typically track at 256-512, and when mixing I set it at 1000+.

And last bit - if you're not actively editing them, you should freeze/bounce processor hungry VST tracks like synths and samplers. Most software now has a one step freeze button built right in.

I don't use the usb driver - that's the whole point of my post. Hence the title "Reamping without USB".
You're exactly right, performance goes way down if i'm not using the Fireface.
Also I have dedicated a laptop just for Axe Edit - looks cool too.

No no ... you can still use the USB without using it as your primary audio driver. The USB driver is for using it as your audio card. You have an audio card. Disable the usb as audio device, then connect as usual and reamp via USB. I don't reamp via USB, but I do everything else over USB with no issue seeing it as a USB device in my DAW with the driver unselected in control panel.

Not sure I get it.
"Disable the usb as audio device, then connect as usual and reamp via USB"
If I disable usb as audio device, what' "connect as usual"?
The only way to get sound in or out via usb is to have it selected as my I/O device in my DAW.

Not sure I get it.
"Disable the usb as audio device, then connect as usual and reamp via USB"
If I disable usb as audio device, what' "connect as usual"?
The only way to get sound in or out via usb is to have it selected as my I/O device in my DAW.

I feel I must step in here.

I think the ability to do this depends on the operating system you are using. For instance Windows 7 and I am assuming Windows 8, are far more lenient with ASIO, and default sound devices (and the ability to switch them on the fly while the program that is using them is still open and running) Than Windows Vista is. (I am not sure about XP)

I am still on Vista, and when I change default sound device, I have to close down anything using sound, then re-open it to actually get sound through that device.
On my GF's Windows 7 rig, she can change default sound device with a program still on, and it will recognize it without restarting the program. (I built both rigs)

So I do think that abilities like this, and what Arrowhead are trying to describe to you are actually more OS specific than most might initially think.

I use XP and can switch back and forth between devices the DAW or/and the system uses all day long, without re-starting them. The only caveat is Windows Media Player, which I have to re-start.

In fact, when I want to monitor through my usb mixer, but get the straight signal from the Axe, I set DAW output to the mixer, and recording input to the Axe. However, this was mainly for having a mic connected that I would record in-between guitar takes. I figured out it was easier to run the mixer aux/or main output to Axe FX loop input 2, and have a separate chain in the patch for the FX in. Then all I had to do was keep my guitar volume down, and turn up the mic's channel level, press record.

I'm betting USB dogs with virtual instruments included because it has to keep track of each one's midi timing (which includes any performance data), whereas your interface just lets them play. Then again, maybe the sample rates of all instruments, Axe included, aren't the same...but I'd think that would cause something just not to work....worth looking at, though.

I feel I must step in here.

I think the ability to do this depends on the operating system you are using. For instance Windows 7 and I am assuming Windows 8, are far more lenient with ASIO, and default sound devices (and the ability to switch them on the fly while the program that is using them is still open and running) Than Windows Vista is. (I am not sure about XP)

I use XP and can switch back and forth between devices the DAW or/and the system uses all day long, without re-starting them. The only caveat is Windows Media Player, which I have to re-start.

In fact, when I want to monitor through my usb mixer, but get the straight signal from the Axe, I set DAW output to the mixer, and recording input to the Axe. However, this was mainly for having a mic connected that I would record in-between guitar takes. I figured out it's easier to run the mixer aux out or main output to Axe FX loop input 2, and have a separate chain in the patch for the FX in. Then all I have to do was keep my guitar volume down, turn up the mic's channel level on the mixer, and press record.

Last edited:
I did figure out a way to reamp without using usb. Out of curiosity I still don't get "Disable the usb as audio device, then connect as usual and reamp via USB".
Not important, just curious.

Okay...

I'm saying DON'T switch on the fly, or at all, so some of the responses since seem to miss the mark of what I'm saying.

When you're using your computer and DAW, you have a default soundcard. This soundcard does all the audio processing for your DAW/computer. You have a soundcard like this, which you prefer to use... the Fireface. This is and should be your default audio device.

For people who do NOT have a soundcard, Cliff has given the Axe Fx 2 the ability to act as one. This is great if you don't already have a soundcard, as it opens up the world of digital recording for AFX users without the additional expense of a soundcard/interface.

But again, YOU ALREADY HAVE ONE.

So go into your control panel (with your DAW not running), and disable the AFX as your audio device, leaving the Fireface enabled.

Now, you have one and only one default audio device - your Fireface.

Now open your daw, with your Axe Fx connected to the usb of your computer. Do the same - go into audio settings and make sure that the FIREFACE is your default audio device.

Now that you've done the above, you should still be able to select the Axe Fx as an input/output within your DAW via USB, without needing to enable it as the audio device.

Follow me now?

Back
Top Bottom