Reamping With AxeFx2 Cubase

Kaihoro1388

Hey guys i recorded a DI track and want to send it out of my Cubase 8.5 artist into my axefx unit presets and back into cubase to record. I posted this question on the gear page and tried someones suggestion and its a bit confusing and isn't working correctly. maybe i am doing something wrong. it seems that is should be very simple to reamp my di signal. i have a usb chord so can someone please let me know the easiest or best way to do it? I'm just trying to do it in mono tracks and ill pan left and right later. ill post the persons suggestion from the gear page below.

"Alright go into your macs audio midi window and create an aggregate device.
Use the Sapphire as the first, AxeFx as 2nd device of the aggregate.
Now you have the first 20 in or how many of the Sapphire and the last 4 from the AF2.
Make sure you have drift/resampke ticked on AF2 in the audio midi window if your Mac.
Done with that....
Now Cubase...

Open your i/o window F4
Go to inputs....open the max number of mono ins
Go to outputs, add one mono in addition to your main outs.
Use the last out for it.

On your DI track send it to mono out.
The track you want to record from the Axe use input whatever is two less than the highest. So if you have 20 inputs between both sapphire and AF2 use 17 or 18.
Those carry the processed signal.
Side note if you want the dry unprocessed di signal while tracking use input 19 or 20.

Go to the AF2 front panel click on I/o page once right and change it to audio in from USB.
Don't forget to switch thus back once your done reamping and want to use the AF2 the regular way.

The whole set up sounds more convoluted than it is. Will take you less than 5 minutes first time."

there is the reamping guide of course and several related posts... http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threa...th-external-sound-card-audio-interface.97771/

But you don't have an external audio interface do you? if so, forget about the aggregate device thing.

1. First record from the AXE USB DRY OUT (the 3rd and 4th connection of your Axe) on an audio track.
2. Then: send this track with the dry recording in Cubase to the USB channel of the Axe FX. I
3. Go to the AF2 front panel click on I/o page once right and change it to audio in from USB.
4. Now record the wet signal on another track. The wet signal comes from Axe USB 1+2.

If you want to hear what you're recording, let cubase play back to built in audio. Not into the axe or you will reamp your entire song (drums, bass, vocals etc). In case you do have an external audio interface, use that one for monitoring.

Hope this makes sense. If not, connect your axe, open up cubase, press F4 and upload some pics of your inputs and outputs here, so i can see your setup.

thanks for the response! I'm using a saffire pro 40 from focus rite. when you say send the dry recorded track to usb channel of axe fx how do i do that exactly. like what vst connections do i have to set up? also, which do i use as my ASIO? Saffire or AxeFx?

this is how my project is set up with just one track which is the Dry recorded track. and i took pics with my phone of my project in cubase and sent them to my email in the smallest size and put them on my computer to send in this post and it says the file is too large which makes no sense

1. If you have a Saffire, make an aggregate audio device. You'll find howto's all over the internet.
2. Use this aggregate device as your ASIO in device setup in Cubase.
3. make a stereo (or mono connections) in your VST window (F4) for
3.a input: Axe L&R 1&2 for wet recording
3.b input: Axe L&R 3&4 for dry recording
3.c output: the monitor or main out of your saffire for listening
3d. output: AXE usb for sending back the dry signal.

in cubase set up:
4. a mono or stereo track for recording dry. set its input to the dry channel (ie Axe LR 3&4) Look at the pic in the link below, in the inspector window where it says audio-express-1.
5. then set the output of the dry track to Axe USB (in the pic, where it says audio-express-output-buss1) . This make the dry signal go back into the axe
6. Add another mono or stereo track with Axe L&R 1&2 (wet) as its input channel, the same as under 4.

Then you start recording, first the dry track, then the wet. Don't forget to set the axe input to USB in the I/O page. You can rerecord the wet track or play back and tweak the tone with Axe Edit. Another cool trick is to perfect the timing or your dry track with the audio warp function in cubase audio editor.

Good Luck!

https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=80302

I just recorded a video on how to do this! You should check it out, it sounds like we have a similar setup.

Back
Top Bottom