Reamping through Reaper with Automation

stm113

Power User
Has anyone had luck with using automation in Reaper to control the FM 9 during reamping?

I have learned how to set up the MIDI send but I am lost on the rest

There’s nothing special to be done for reamping. It’s the same as sending midi to a device in any other situation. Just make sure the routing for your midi track has your FM9 selected as the midi output device.

Thank you for sharing these! The second one is going to be most helpful as I am looking to turn fx on and off during reamping. And I got it to work tonight!! Now I just gotta get to where I can replicate this time and again.

This brings up another question however. Do you have advice on how to draw realistic wah automation in Reaper? I wish there were a way to use an expression pedal to do this so it would be more “natural” but I haven’t found a way to do that yet. My next thought is to try the mid wheel on my Nektar Impact 49 midi key controller.

Sorry for the necro bump on my own thread but I am having troubles again. I have doen all that the video shows to no avail. I tried it in cakewalk and works beaitufully but I want to do it in Reaper if possible. I think there is just an issues with Reaper and my FM9. I may get it to work once but then it wont work again. I figure somehwere the is a box not checked or something. I have even updated the FM9 USB Driver.

Has anyone has something similar and overcome it? Screenshpts below on hpw I have it set up in Reaper. I feel like the FM9 should be correct since Cakewalk switches it. I would rather do this in Reaper because I feel that other than Midi Reaper is cleaner and easier, plus its a much more stable DAW.

Preferences

1703124024525.png

The routing
1703124121627.png
The Midi Item
I am using CC 16 to turn on/off a drive pedal

1703124211940.png

Last edited:
Your settings look correct. Make sure that track is not muted. Reaper also resets MIDI notes and CC's on playback start and stop by default, so if playback stops immediately after your message is sent, it will get reset. You can change that in the Preferences under Audio > Playback.

Thank you for looking. I did find a workaround that looks like it will be more consistent. I added REA Midi control to the midi track and automated instead of creating "midi events" in the track itself. This did the trick for me. Which backs up that I must have something selected wrong because clearly Reaper/My PC and my FM9 are communicating. I am fine with this work around if indeed it works for me.

Back
Top Bottom