Reamping - Questions about mono / stereo

melt.astral

Hi guys !

So I've spent these last weeks working on building my tones and now I have something quite satisfying. Next step is to record my songs.

I'm now trying to figure out everything about DI / reamping. Following a video that has been made by someone here and what I've read in the manual, I was able to record a DI and reamp it to my presets, and it was ok as long as I didn't have informations in stereo.

For example I have a ping pong delay and an enhancer on my lead guitar preset, and when I directly record it, it works, but when I make a DI out of my signal and then reamp it to the preset, everything is in the center.

Until then I've been recording everything in stereo even if I knew nobody does that, because I don't understand how one could record in mono without losing the information concerning stereo. So just to make sure to keep everything, I recorded everything in stereo.
This tome though I recorded the DI in mono, since it seems like it's the normal way. I've tested in stereo too (or I think so), with the 5 and 6 inputs, but still had no ping pong and enhancer at the end.

So I guess there is something I don't get here about mono/stereo, since I see everyone recording DI's in mono but still being able to get those "stereo effects". So yep, might need help on that :blush:

it might help if you post your presets?

but, in general terms, your guitar is mono, and reamping is just the process of feeding a pre recorded guitar only signal into the preset where the guitar would have plugged in

Capture DI:

Record the dry guitar input signal from USB Input 5 OR 6 to a mono track for your DI track (USB Input 5 and 6 are identical, so no point in recording both). Record USB Inputs 1 AND 2 to a stereo track to capture the processed stereo output (effects and all) from the Output 1 block on the grid.

Reamp:

Option 1: Change Input 1 Source to USB in the Axe III's menu and send your DI track to USB Outputs 5&6 to send that dry signal back through the grid for processing again. Record USB Inputs 1 and 2 to a stereo track again to capture the new wet take.

Option 2: Instead of changing the Input 1 Source in the Axe III menu, you can add the USB IN block to the grid in parallel to the Input 1 block and send your DI track to USB Outputs 7&8 instead. Again, record USB Inputs 1 and 2 to capture the new wet take.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom