Reamping Question

I know this has been posted before but I was getting confused by how things were being explained with how reamping is configured with the AX8 Unit. I have a 4 channel Steniberg UR44 interface. I've never reamped before but am interested in trying it out. Logically in my head this is how I have it laid out. please forgive the crude diagram I just whipped it up in Photoshop. Can someone confirm if this is correct and will work?

I have the UR44 Main outs to the monitors L/R
I have a line out of the UR44 feeding to the Guitar Input of the AX8
On the XLR output of the AX8 feeding in to channels 1 and 2 of the UR44
and I have My guitar into Channel 3 of the UR44

Essentially use Channel 3 to get the dry signal of my guitar to recorded into my DAW.
Then use that dry recording and output it to the output on the UR44 to the Guitar IN of the AX8 and on separate tracks take the outputs of the AX8 in Chan 1&2 of the UR44 for the reamped sound.

Still sounds confusing, but in my head logically it works. Ins and Outs follow the path.

Anyone confirm if I am right here?

Attachments

• Reamping Model.jpg
    Reamping Model.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 18
I bet the guitar input on AX8 is better than the guitar input on the Audio Device. So when recording the track, I would plugin to AX8 and record the stereo output as normal, but then I would use the FX loop output to record the DI track. I would also use the FX loop to get the DI track back into AX8, when you are doing the actual re-amping.

Sounds interesting. A few questions...

1. Why record both the stereo outputs and the FX loop output if you really only want to be reamping through the AX8 to try different tones?
2. When recording the dry DI track, how would you configure the preset?
3. What's the benefit of using the FX loop to return the DI track back into the AX8?

Thanks!

If all you really want to do is to try out different tones, it is much easier to use the AX8 looper, like Ola does here

Re-amping is mostly used while mixing, if you find out at a later stage that the guitar tone was less than perfect for the song/mix, so I will answer in this context

1) Re-amping should be a last resort. Hopefully, you get the tones right in the first go.
2) You can either go to the AX8 I/O menu and simply copy the input signal to the output 2. Or inside a preset, I would simply run a shunt from the input block directly to the FX loop block.
3) The output from an audio interface is usually line level, which is too hot (and wrong impedance) for the AX8 input. The FX loop input can be set up to accept a line level signal.

Actually, just watched the video and it appears he's running a DI track into the AX8. I still see how using the looper would work as well.

Back
Top Bottom