Reamping mono or stereo and input levels

parlopower

Inspired
I am often recording a DI track together with the processed signal for reamping later. To not make the data volume and amount of waveforms I look at in my DAW bigger than necessary, usually I only record the left channel of the stereo DI signal that the Axe Fx III send sout.

Now it just occured to me - when I reamp and only send a mono signal to the Axe Fx III, should that not have a tremendous influence on the sound? As far as I understand, the amp block sums an incoming stereo signal into a mono signal, is that correct? So if I only send one channel instead of both, I only have half the level in the sum, which means the amp is driven a lot less by the input signal, right?

Is it therefore better to record the full stereo DI signal? Or can that easily be compensated e.g. by boosting the mono DI signal by 6dB? Or am I completely wrong with this assumption about levels?

Normally the only thing you might want to look for is a DAW pan law reducing level when the track is panned center.

The mono track still goes to both channels. A stereo track with the same data as L/R won't be any louder.

USB Inputs 5 and 6 have the same mono signal from Input 1 so there's nothing to gain by recording a stereo DI track. It will just take up more storage space on your DAW.

Back
Top Bottom