Reamping in the mix using AES with RME only

geepee

Inspired
It seems that this should be possible but I have yet to figure out how to reamp via RME's AES/EBU only (no USB/Analog) from a dry DAW/Reaper track to the AxeFxIIXL, either Solo or In-The-Mix.

Any suggestions welcome.

Last edited:
Have you successfully reamped a soloed track via AES?

If you have the RME selected as audio device typically you should only need to go to the dry track's I/O settings, disable "master/parent send" then add a new hardware output and choose AES out. Switch Axe-FX to AES in, record a new track from RME AES in.

Have you successfully reamped a soloed track via AES?

If you have the RME selected as audio device typically you should only need to go to the dry track's I/O settings, disable "master/parent send" then add a new hardware output and choose AES out. Switch Axe-FX to AES in, record a new track from RME AES in.

Not with AES

Using the RME ASIO driver, I have disabled "master/parent send" then added a new hardware output and chosen AES out. In the RME TotalMix Control Panel, I see the AES metered Input from the Reaper dry track. I see no Metering in the AxeFxIIXL.

As for the AxeFxIIXL, at the "I/O Audio" tab, I have selected

MAIN INPUT SOURCE: SPDIF/AES
WORD CLOCK: SPDIF/AES In (have tried both)
SPDIF/AES SELECT: AES
USB/DIGI OUT SOURCE: OUTPUT 1 (have tried all three)

In a new Reaper track set to Record, I have disabled the "master/parent send" and for the input, have selected AES.

I get no input showing on the AxeFxIIXL meter.

I have swapped the AES cables with the same result, so cables are fine.

The AxeFxIIXL AES-OUT and the RME AES-IN work fine.

So, for hardware, it appears that there could be a problem with either the RME AES-OUT or the AxeFxIIXL AES-IN

But I am hoping that this is an AxeFxIIXL software setting.

Last edited:
Which RME interface do you have?

In TotalMix while dry track is playing, is there activity on both AES output channels or just one?

Did you check the vertical meter page in the Axe-FX Utility menu when playing dry track? It's possible that a quiet DI could light no input LEDs, but there would probably still be activity at the onscreen meter.

This wouldn't be causing the current problem, but you probably don't want to disable master/parent send for the new processed track. That would mute it when you play the full mix again.

Which RME interface do you have?

In TotalMix while dry track is playing, is there activity on both AES output channels or just one?

Did you check the vertical meter page in the Axe-FX Utility menu when playing dry track? It's possible that a quiet DI could light no input LEDs, but there would probably still be activity at the onscreen meter.

This wouldn't be causing the current problem, but you probably don't want to disable master/parent send for the new processed track. That would mute it when you play the full mix again.

Bakerman, thanks for the reply.

RME UFX

Both output channels are active

There is no activity in the Utility vertical meters. The dry track in Reaper is very strong.

Yes, I know :)

I have done it over the AES only (in & out) with the RME FF802 (pretty similar to UFX) and also using Reaper so it is definitely possible.

I don't have the settings at hand but by heart this is what has to be done (assuming AES cables are connected both for in and out):
1. Set up the Axe FX as a slave for AES operation, i.e. the input has to be AES (AES had to be specified in another place in the menu too as an ouput, there were 2 different options available in the Axe FX)
2. in Reaper send DRY track to RME AES OUT
3. in Reaper, create a new WET track which receives RME AES IN
4. I think some routing in RME is needed, don't really recall right now (or was it just a matter of turning the volume for AES out/in up).

Good luck!

Thanks all for the replies... I now have it working.

In the end, it was user error ... as Bakerman guessed, I had the "Hardware AES output" hidden in TotalMix... :eek:ops

Back
Top Bottom