Reamping axe fx 3 with cubase

Hey guys my setup basically consists of Cubase 13 , axe fx3 and rme ucx audio interface I’m trying to reamp my Di guitars does anyone know how to do this on axe fx3 and if so can they post me a video of it or shpw step by step?

I would ideally like to record the DI (dry) & the wet signal at the same time.

Im on M1 macbook

perfect thanks I got it working, my next question (not sure if I should make another thread) is how do I go about splitting the signal when im recording my guitar? for example I want to press record and it recording both the dry DI signal AND the wet (amped) signal in 2 separate tracks that are armed.

cheers

perfect thanks I got it working, my next question (not sure if I should make another thread) is how do I go about splitting the signal when im recording my guitar? for example I want to press record and it recording both the dry DI signal AND the wet (amped) signal in 2 separate tracks that are armed.

cheers
Suggest posting under the DAWs and Recording space. You might get more responses there.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/forums/daws-and-recording.135/

Last edited:

cheers
Like a DI box? I know this will give you the ability to record both paths at the same time. It might be easier to do this connected via SPDIF, I know you can reamp this route but not 100 percent on capturing a clean DI without a DI box.

cheers
Screen Shot 2024-05-23 at 5.08.34 PM.png

I have tracks "linked" together so that whenever I record enable an amp track it also enables the DI track. I prefer to have my DI on a separate track from my amp tones. One track will be the Axe input, another track will be the DI input. I treat them as a linked pair. but only for recording.
Some folks prefer recording the DI together with with the amped tone an a single stereo track, with amp on one side and DI on the other of a single track. It helps consolidate track counts on bigger project. But it does require extra steps to setup and use.
Different strokes for different blokes.

Some folks prefer recording the DI together with with the amped tone an a single stereo track, with amp on one side and DI on the other of a single track. It helps consolidate track counts on bigger project. But it does require extra steps to setup and use.

That's generally how I work. I discussed that technique in the reamping tutorial thread and I might do another video demonstrating that technique. I then use a Mix6to2 plugin to hear only the wet on the track. The reason I do this is because I find that makes it a bit easier to keep the DI in sync with the wet when comping takes.

View attachment 140742

I have tracks "linked" together so that whenever I record enable an amp track it also enables the DI track. I prefer to have my DI on a separate track from my amp tones. One track will be the Axe input, another track will be the DI input. I treat them as a linked pair. but only for recording.
Different strokes for different blokes.
thanks for showing this but...inside cubase what input/output of the axe fx are you telling it to use? i.e. is output 1 of axe fx3 the wet signal and output 3 of the axe fx the dry (DI) signal?

thanks for showing this but...inside cubase what input/output of the axe fx are you telling it to use? i.e. is output 1 of axe fx3 the wet signal and output 3 of the axe fx the dry (DI) signal?

Use the usual channels. Wet is USB 1 and the DI is USB 5.

Here's a tutorial. See the note in the second paragraph about Cubase.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-re-amping-tutorial.190686/

Also see:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-for-the-recording-musician.177592/

That will work, sort of. But normally one would do that with digital i/o because it's simpler and avoids the level matching issues of analog i/o. See configuration #4 in the recording guide for instructions on how to do that while using your UCX as your audio interface.

Also, be sure to record your DI in stereo in Cubase if you want the re-amping to sound the same as when you play a guitar through your Axe-FX. As I mentioned above, if you want to do things like time warping, I'd recommend recording the wet and DI into a single track. Otherwise, they'll get out of sync.

For detailed instructions, see the links above.

P.S. From your questions, it occurs to me the issue here might be that you're unaware the Axe-FX has digital i/o. It does, and that's a valuable feature to use for what you're trying to do.

Last edited:
Thanks GlennO, how do you set that up so that you basically use Axe FX as a VST effects plugin?
My wiring setup is basically:
  • AxeFX Output 1 have 2 TRS cables running to RME UCX input 3/4
  • AxeFX Output 3 have 2 TRS cables running to RME UCX input 5/6

is this the right way to set it up in cubase? I dont get any audio when recording unfortunately.
In your video are you using the axe fx as your audio interface?

Screenshot 2024-06-10 at 5.38.18 PM.png

Last edited:
Just another question, are my levels correct based off this screenshot? I record Output 1 (Wet) & Output 3 (Dry). but im worried that my output 1 levels might be wrong if I want to reamp it later on.

Screenshot 2024-06-10 at 7.55.02 PM.png

My wiring setup is basically:
  • AxeFX Output 1 have 2 TRS cables running to RME UCX input 3/4
  • AxeFX Output 3 have 2 TRS cables running to RME UCX input 5/6

As everyone keeps trying to tell you in the various threads where you ask about this, no, that’s not the recommended way to do it :).

If you want to connect your monitors to your ucx, use configuration #2 or #4 from the recording guide. That way you can leave your monitors cabled the way they are, but record your AxeFX via USB. You would then use the AxeFX as your audio device (configuration #2) or use an aggregate that includes both your ucx and your AxeFX as your audio device (configuration #4). For reamping, that has many advantages over the analog I/O you’re using now. See the recording guide for details.

Regarding treating the AxeFX as a plugin, see the note in the second paragraph here about Cubase.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-re-amping-tutorial.190686/

Back
Top Bottom