Reamp while mixing? Possible?

Izzyprad

Inspired
I am kind of new to this reamping stuff. I was wondering if we can do reamping in realtime while mixing.
I have an RME Fireface 800 as my main audio interface, so can I use RME (for monitor out) and Axe FX II (only for reamping) both as an audio interface simulataneously when recording?

Also is realtime reamping possible with the current 4x2 USB, or was that only for 4x4 usb?.

Thanks

Last edited:
At the moment it is not possible to reamp in the mix.
Or atleast for mac users. The aggregated device does not work due to a sync problem.
On pc I believe it is possible using the asio drivers/program.

At the moment it is not possible to reamp in the mix.
Or atleast for mac users. The aggregated device does not work due to a sync problem.
On pc I believe it is possible using the asio drivers/program.

That's not entirely true. I'm on a Mac and successfully using a Mackie Onyx 400f to monitor out along with the Axe II as an aggregate device. This allows me to reamp while listening to the entire mix in PT 9. I do have my monitors connected directly to a Mackie Big Knob and the outs of both the Onyx and Axe II hooked up to the BK.

I am kind of new to this reamping stuff. I was wondering if we can do reamping in realtime while mixing.
I have an RME Fireface 800 as my main audio interface, so can I use RME (for monitor out) and Axe FX II (only for reamping) both as an audio interface simulataneously when recording?

Also is realtime reamping possible with the current 4x2 USB, or was that only for 4x4 usb?.

Thanks

I doubt the aggregate device (or ASIO4ALL) will work continuously for you with the FF800 but you could try. What I do is spdif between the two devices and use the interface for input instead of the Axe. That will allow you to reamp through spdif but you'll have to monitor through the FF800. It works well for me (there is a bit more latency but it doesn't bother me).

I have never owned a Mac (got an iphone though), but the ability to use aggregate devices is one of the reasons I was thinking about buying an iMac for my next computer instead of a PC. ASIO4ALL works okay, but I have a 16 channel setup on my main recording board and it only sees a few channels. I was hoping that a Mac would allow me to use the Axe-Fx as an aggregate device.

I was hoping that a Mac would allow me to use the Axe-Fx as an aggregate device.

Definitely find someone on the forum (or elsewhere) who is successfully using an aggregate device with the same device as you with the AxeFX II on a Mac with the same OS (since it will be new, it will be 10.7.2). Don't use hope... I did and got burned. It does not work with AxeFX II, FF400, OSX 10.7.2. There are other interfaces that definitely do not work but I don't have the exact list. Also beware that people have claimed that it's working for them only to post a few hours/days later saying that it actually doesn't. One or more components appears to lose sync but when seems arbitrary. Sometimes it's around 2 minutes, sometimes it's a few seconds.

Don't buy until you're absolutely sure. Or at least buy within a grace period so that you can return the component if it doesn't meet your needs.

This really needs to be fixed. That's the whole point of reamping to me. I heard they were doing it with the new firmware version but obviously not...I'm having the same issue on my mac

I agree it's a major oversight.

But...is it so terrible to reamp through the rear input? I bet with decent converters the differences will be inaudible in which case it's not the much of an issue. With the ultra it was more of a hassle.

Cliff mentioned the answer was 3x3, but he had issues with it working on a PC.

Cliff, if it works fine on Mac, could you just release it for us Mac users until you work out the PC issues.

I bought Axe FX II just because I read somewhere that you can reamp in real-time while mixing. Sad to hear it can't do that! :(

Well...after reading some threads about this I figured I should post my settings for re-amping while monitoring the other tracks...
Pro Tools 10 with Motu 896 mk3
Aggregate device....
Motu...drift checked
Axe in...drift checked
Axe out drift not checked

Clock source is Axe out
Works with consistency
Works in Logic 9.1.6 and Cubase 6.05 even better since it will sample rate convert unlike in PT where u stuck with 48 K.

This is on OSX 10.7
I went and tried on Snow Leopard with ProTools 9 but I couldn't get it worked out yet since with the order of Motu first it wants to default to the Motu clock.

But yes this set-up works, as in been running stable for the last 3 hours on a 80+track session, the only time I lost sync was when I opened Axe-Edit after it crashed.

Also the difference between resample and drift is 10.6 to 10.7

guys, if you look in here
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...ow-2-re-amp-hear-backing-track-same-time.html
you'll find a detailed description as to how to reamp with an Aggregate interface..

The FF800 is a huge AI with lots or routing possibilities.. and if I read the manual right it looks like you can use it as a mixer too..
this means you can simply jack the AxeII into it [input as well as output], jack your guitar straight in to it too and do the whole reamping job without an aggregate interface..
just make the FF the centre of everything.. and.. I wouldn't worry about AD/DA conversion cos it's all good kit and I reckon you'd not be able to hear any degradation..
audio streams in and out of the mac would all be by firewire..
you monitor everything in the FF.. you'll encounter no latency, clicks or pops etc...
you'll have a single cabled config and simply need to create two mixer routing configs, one to record the dry and another to reamp..
one click, job done....
with a big AI like an FF400 or FF800 would not bother messing with the AxeII USB for audio or creating aggregates... you should have everything you need within the FF..

Are you looking for a reason why not to do it this way? Because you will have to slide your tracks to line them up. T

I always look for the method that is the simplest.. and has the easiest workflow - assuming the final results have no difference in quality..

I do everything via my AI <- firewire -> Mac connection.

to record the dry guitar I jack into the the AI [Hi-Z] input 1 which is routed firewire channel 1 to Logic
AI input 1 is simultaneously 'sent' to physical output 3 - cabled to the input of the fx-unit
the input 1 fader is 'down'
Logic's master out is firewire 1-2 to the AI / AI physical output 1-2 connects to the monitors
AI's physical input 3-4 is cabled to the fx-unit's physical outputs 3-4
I play guitar, record the dry, hear the mix and the fx-unit simultaneously

to reamp: in the AI I choose a different preset [for different routing]
Logic dry guitar comes into the AI over firewire 3 and routes straight to physical output 3 [and therefore to the physical input of the fx-unit]
the audio from the fx-unit enters the AI via physical inputs 3-4 and are routed out to logic via firewire 3-4
the logic channel strip recording the wet at this point has no output assigned
this means that the fx-unit is being monitored within the AI along with the mix but I can still record it..

no aggregates.. no latency.. really quick.. really easy work flow.. no perceivable audio degradation...

this method is no different to routing audio from any DAW, through any outboard [fx, compressor, reverb etc] and back into the DAW..
so if you have an AI that:
- is good quality
- has 4 physical inputs
- has 4 physical outputs
- has a 4x4 firewire
then this method makes the most sense..

EDIT: when recording into Logic I turn low latency mode on...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom