Reamp an existing DI track with AX8

edo

Power User
Vendor
I'm recording a few DI tracks to reamp in both AF3, AF2 and AX8 to demo an upcoming preset pack I'm producing. With AF2 and AF3 there should be no problem as they both work as audio interface so I assume the USB level should be consistent between output and input. The problem is with the AX8, as I assume I have to use an external audio interface (rme babyface) and I'm afraid this will mess up the DI level and consequently the AX8 presets gain. Any tips anyone? Thanks!

Personally, didn't liked reamping directly from the interface to the AX8 without a Re-Amp box, always felt thin and not a true representation of the DI signal recorded, again just IME. Having said that, also not all Re-Amp boxes are made equal, so you may take that into account...

My best suggestion, in case you're going the Re-Amp box route is to make sure you're using the flatest setting possible and check the polarity of the recorded signal. I have the Radial JCR and it has a switch for Flat/HighPass/LowPass and I have to push the Phase button in order to have the same phase as my original reference track.

Once doing that, I think it's best to just make a loop directly into your DAW just to set the levels so the level of the DI signal sent through the line out is the same as the one recorded and then you'll be ready to reamp with the AX8, just be sure to go from your Re-Amp box straight into the input 1 of the AX8.

BTW you mention you have the Axe FX II & III, maybe there's a way to use one of the outputs to feed the AX8 and sending the signal back via S/PDIF... Dunno, I'm just guessing there's a routing option where you can reamp via USB using both units.

Use the USB reamping of the III and use in3/out3 to go in and out of the AX8. Should be fine. If you want to skip a stage of digital/analog conversion do what @AJ Vargas said with SPDIF out from the AX8 to SPDIF in of the III for the last stage.

View attachment 62284

I had to change "in USB" with "in 1-2" since input 1 source is usb 5-6, and I also changed in 3 with in 2 to connect the ax8 output via xlr. It worked great! Thanks

Back
Top Bottom