Really struggling to make bass and guitar cabs sit together...

Humidfume

Inspired
Hey guys, firstly here is the problem:

Use the link to listen as it won't stream.

The guitars just do t sit with the bass at all, I've been through hundreds of combinations today with cabs, dual cabs, Mics on each cab, no Mics etc.

Just cannot for the life of me find a guitar tone that sits in this mix. Perhaps it's the 6505 or something... Might try to move to a Friedman or Mesa...

Any tips?

Bass is dual cab SV and Friedman amp. SV cab and v30 german cab I think.

I'd like to make the guitars and bass work together as well as this:

Sounds to me more like EQ and mixing need "help". The tones are alright. Heck, start by just bringing the drums a little more forward and see what that does for you to start.

id agree that your drums are too low, and also that the tones sound pretty good to my ears.

I'll drop the bass and guitars in volume but there is definitely a strange clash in the high Mids / treble freqs of,the guitars and bass. I'll start from scratch with the guitars and bass and see what happens. It's not good enough at present.

Can you hear what I'm referring to with the freq clash? Makes it sound like there are phasing issues.

Tones seem pretty good to me too. They have good clarity. The stereo image could be wider. Maybe push the guitars out a bit wider and they will stand out more. It's also a lot harder when the bass and guitars are doubling the same part too. Maybe try varying the parts a tiny bit to make each stand out. If they are both playing exacly the same thing, it can sometimes sound like a pitch shifter rather than two separate instruments. Maybe throw in a couple of grace notes or string scrapes or something subtle.

Last edited:
Are you double tracking with the same amp model and cabs panned hard left and right? Maybe try a different model or cab on one side or push one side track back a handful of miliseconds to play with the stereo image. You might be getting some weird comb filtering or phase issue between the guitar tracks that's making it sound more narrow.

are they two different takes or did you just copy one take to another track and pan.

also, i'd advice against doing the bumping a track by a few milliseconds thing...can introduce the very sort of artifacts you don't want. just do two performances and pan them hard.

They are indeed separate performances and hard panned. Same amp and cab setup on each side. Never had this issue before...

Back
Top Bottom