Really need help and it should be easy for you.

My experience is that the FAS amplifiers sound and behave like real tube amplifiers, and the effects are stellar.

Therefore, the biggest variable in what you hear is how you listen to your rig/monitoring.

I went through several sets of headphones and two sets of monitors (and changing rooms) to learn this to be true 100%.

Wow, thank you for so many good answers. Tomorrow I will post a sound clip. I'm listening to a movie with my girlfriends but just passed by to see.

I'm sure there is something wrong because I love the Axe-Fx when I listen to it on YouTube. Tomorrow I will post a recording. You will see it is not normal I'm pretty sure.

THank you so much.
How's that coming?

Not to beat a dead horse here (it's been asked in many threads). Are you comparing the mic'd version of these physical amps you have experience with to the AxeFX? Comparing an Amp in the Room to a Modelled (or captured for that matter) Amp is pointless if you aren't comparing the mic'd Amp to that of the model/IR combination.
An amp in a room doesn't benefit from the tone shaping of well placed mics creating the 'perfection' of a modeler, but it is where the programmer of modeler sound needs to do all that can be done to give the heft of a Plexi and 4x12 cab moving air. Having been in this situation multiple times, I've yet to stand in a room where there's a Plexi and 4x12 and a modeler in a room with the PA off and the modeler has all the ass, girth, bite, and force of a Plexi and 4x12, or a 5150, etc. At the end of the day, the comparison for the gigging musician is live use. There is no but the sounds standing their ground.

For what it's worth I played my old Ultra back in Sept and got a mess of compliments on great sound, coming off the stage and through foh. Do I think if a 2nd guy were there playing a Plexi and cab alongside me that mine tone would go toe to toe? No, I don't. But it can in get close in a PA. .02

An amp in a room doesn't benefit from the tone shaping of well placed mics creating the 'perfection' of a modeler, but it is where the programmer of modeler sound needs to do all that can be done to give the heft of a Plexi and 4x12 cab moving air. Having been in this situation multiple times, I've yet to stand in a room where there's a Plexi and 4x12 and a modeler in a room with the PA off and the modeler has all the ass, girth, bite, and force of a Plexi and 4x12, or a 5150, etc. At the end of the day, the comparison for the gigging musician is live use. There is no but the sounds standing their ground.

For what it's worth I played my old Ultra back in Sept and got a mess of compliments on great sound, coming off the stage and through foh. Do I think if a 2nd guy were there playing a Plexi and cab alongside me that mine tone would go toe to toe? No, I don't. But it can in get close in a PA. .02
That is what I was getting at. We’re in agreement that mic type/placement and mic preamp all affect the sound. I figured you understood that since you referenced the Ultra. The House PA is the ultimate equalizer. Since the audience hears that, which is still a mic’d cab sound.

However, I’m shocked you had better luck getting usable sound out of the AxeFX Ultra. Pre Cygnus just wasn’t close enough to the real thing to be desirable. All three of the current gen devices, however, have left me wanting for nothing.

That is what I was getting at. We’re in agreement that mic type/placement and mic preamp all affect the sound. I figured you understood that since you referenced the Ultra. The House PA is the ultimate equalizer. Since the audience hears that, which is still a mic’d cab sound.

However, I’m shocked you had better luck getting usable sound out of the AxeFX Ultra. Pre Cygnus just wasn’t close enough to the real thing to be desirable. All three of the current gen devices, however, have left me wanting for nothing.
It's been a lot of work. But I'm getting where I want to be. I did this today. I used Rip X to take the guitars outta this song. Straight out of iii stereo into UA Twin USB. Used Align on a 2nd cab to get a more 'stereo sound'. This is sounding more like a revved up Marshall than I've had to date. No post process other than a compressor to blend it with the other 3 tracks. Lemme know what y'all think of where I am if you would - thanks. https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=XZCPLX0ZO8yHocQOOC74xPzhGkQvDbt5XLAk

It's been a lot of work. But I'm getting where I want to be. I did this today. I used Rip X to take the guitars outta this song. Straight out of iii stereo into UA Twin USB. Used Align on a 2nd cab to get a more 'stereo sound'. This is sounding more like a revved up Marshall than I've had to date. No post process other than a compressor to blend it with the other 3 tracks. Lemme know what y'all think of where I am if you would - thanks. https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=XZCPLX0ZO8yHocQOOC74xPzhGkQvDbt5XLAk
I think you’ve got a good Vox tone going there. There is something about a Vox Class-A I just don’t gel with personally. I use it on occasion if it fits the sound I’m trying to reproduce but rarely my first choice. A short delay like slap back to 350ms makes them sound hollow like they are in an echo chamber. They have a shrill spike in the 2 kHz range that is so pronounced on the e string.

I personally gravitate more toward a Matchless or AC-20 if I’m going that route. I’m a sucker for Marshall or Friedman if I want that nice mid-forward crunch sound.

Hi Budda, I haven't really shared things or played anywhere with it. The clip I posted is the 1st time I felt like I had a good sound. Honestly, I dodn't need anyone to tell me when it's good or not.
So, all of the blind test for the last14 years with famous amps and the FRACTAL gear....most could not hear a difference but if they did it was so minor as to irrelevant. So all those amps must have sucked also. Hmmmm? That is sad.

So, all of the blind test for the last14 years with famous amps and the FRACTAL gear....most could not hear a difference but if they did it was so minor as to irrelevant. So all those amps must have sucked also. Hmmmm? That is sad.
I don't follow you. But my point was the '1st time I felt like "I" had good tone'. I The tests of recordings is not standing with the 2 amps a in room w/o PA benefit.

Last edited:
I think you’ve got a good Vox tone going there. There is something about a Vox Class-A I just don’t gel with personally. I use it on occasion if it fits the sound I’m trying to reproduce but rarely my first choice. A short delay like slap back to 350ms makes them sound hollow like they are in an echo chamber. They have a shrill spike in the 2 kHz range that is so pronounced on the e string.

I personally gravitate more toward a Matchless or AC-20 if I’m going that route. I’m a sucker for Marshall or Friedman if I want that nice mid-forward crunch sound.
That's the 1987 and a OH cab.

Interesting. It sounded similar to my AC-30 TB patch. I assumed with the sound and the title it was a Class-A. I did think the tone you had sat well in the mix either way.
Oh, that 'Vox' was just a designation that I used Pat's Vox track in that mix. I did one sans 'Vox', too. Thanks much. I appreciate you chiming in regarding it.

Back
Top Bottom