Real Slo 100 tone vid -anyone get close to this?

cragginshred

Fractal Fanatic
Historically these models sound really thin and bright. Leon has a great vid, however, the pre set did not translate to in the room band volume FRFR tones well.
Looking for a punch you in the chest note articulation the real thing has!

Historically these models sound really thin and bright. Leon has a great vid, however, the pre set did not translate to in the room band volume FRFR tones well.
Looking for a punch you in the chest note articulation the real thing has!

Try the Solo 100 Lead model with gain around 2.5, all tone controls at 5, presence around 4-6, and depth at 4. The Master Volume plays a big role in that amp’s tone. Keep it at 5 if you like the mids, but sometimes I back it down to 4.5 for slightly less midrange and a little more air on the top end.

The tone controls do a lot with small moves. If I ever have to tweak them, I rarely take them below 4.5 or above 5.5, but if you’re feeling it, crank what you want.

With the gain at 2.5, it has a surprising amount of saturation. Like the tone controls, tweak it in small increments to get the balance of clarity and gain that feels right to you.

Try the Solo 100 Lead model with gain around 2.5, all tone controls at 5, presence around 4-6, and depth at 4. The Master Volume plays a big role in that amp’s tone. Keep it at 5 if you like the mids, but sometimes I back it down to 4.5 for slightly less midrange and a little more air on the top end.

The tone controls do a lot with small moves. If I ever have to tweak them, I rarely take them below 4.5 or above 5.5, but if you’re feeling it, crank what you want.

With the gain at 2.5, it has a surprising amount of saturation. Like the tone controls, tweak it in small increments to get the balance of clarity and gain that feels right to you.
Those tone controls are progressive, correct? In that, they affect each other, in stages? I love the tones of Mesa amps, especially IIC+, but I find it easier (maybe due to my headphones) to get a solid, stank-face, crunch tone out of the SLO100 amp model than all but the Triple Crest. I think it's a great amp model. Thanks for the tips!

Are these bedroom volumes or set to band practice levels?
Just curious, and thanks for sharing your tips! Samples???

Those tone controls are progressive, correct? In that, they affect each other, in stages? I love the tones of Mesa amps, especially IIC+, but I find it easier (maybe due to my headphones) to get a solid, stank-face, crunch tone out of the SLO100 amp model than all but the Triple Crest. I think it's a great amp model. Thanks for the tips!
I’m not sure how the tone stack operates. I have a Soldano Avenger (just the lead channel from the SLO), and keeping everything around noon sounds spectacular regardless of which cab I’m using with it. The Axe’s model is surprisingly close to amp, and I tend to stick with keeping the models as close to my real amps as possible. The SLO is easily my favorite high gain model.

Are these bedroom volumes or set to band practice levels?
Just curious, and thanks for sharing your tips! Samples???
I’d say both, since I run the real amp at “band practice volume and the model closely matches my head. When it comes to band practice, it depends on what you’re using as a monitoring source. A lot of FRFR monitors can still be hyped in the low end and/or top end. If you need to make tweaks at band volume, I’d recommend making them at your mixer rather than tweaking the Fractal. Play some music through your monitors at band volume and see if they sound right or if they sound harsh and make adjustments to “tune” your monitor. That will also give FOH a better source tone since their system is likely tuned flat.

As far as samples go, that’s the amp (and roughly the settings) I use for pretty much all of the high gain tones at www.yorkaudio.co if you want to listen. If you need more clarity, just bring down the gain a touch.

Back
Top Bottom