Real guitar amp + FOH send not possible?

Tahoebrian5

Fractal Fanatic
Im considering setup options and it occurred to me that using a real guitar amp either in 4cm or fx return precludes being able to send a signal out for FOH because of the power amp sim issue. If I disable it for one, it's disabled for both unles there is a way to route signal out after preamp sim to send to the amp. Am I missing something?

Im considering setup options and it occurred to me that using a real guitar amp either in 4cm or fx return precludes being able to send a signal out for FOH because of the power amp sim issue. If I disable it for one, it's disabled for both unles there is a way to route signal out after preamp sim to send to the amp. Am I missing something?

Yes, you are missing the microphone on the speaker cabinet... (Or D.I. output from the amp.)

This is the same behavior with "EVERY" multi effect.

EDIT: I'll add that the right way to do what you are after is to have a full chain of signal for the FOH... and have one of the outputs set to cabinet off and run that into your effects return and only use the amp for stage monitoring and not for tone shaping.

Ok, thinking more, it's not 4cm method that's a problem, but the fx return method because you need preamp sim in both chains but power amp sim in one chain

Yes, you are missing the microphone on the speaker cabinet... (Or D.I. output from the amp.)

This is the same behavior with "EVERY" multi effect.

EDIT: I'll add that the right way to do what you are after is to have a full chain of signal for the FOH... and have one of the outputs set to cabinet off and run that into your effects return and only use the amp for stage monitoring and not for tone shaping.
It's not the cab sim that's the problem but the power amp portion of the amp block.

It's not the cab sim that's the problem but the power amp portion of the amp block.

In 4CM or FX Return configuration the whole point is to make your amp the final source of output... of you want "that" sound into the Front of house then you have to tap the output of the amp itself either with a mic or DI device...

I suppose you could do 4CM and make a parallel path after the preamp return and send that to a separate output and not have any modeling on it and just route that to your amp's return and have your main audio path to XLR out include the amp model and cabinet. I know you can do this with Helix because of the fact that they do have preamp only models.. I'm not familiar enough with Fractal devices yet... my AX8 is enroute.Though I'm not sure why anyone would go to the complex trouble of now having two factors to deal with... but heck people do crazier stuff.

I believe your only option would be to have all your effects laid out on the grid in front of the amp/cab blocks, then spilt your chain with one leg going through the amp/cab blocks to the XLR outs to the FOH and another going to the FX Loop block bypassing the amp/cab block and using Out 2 to run to the input of your real Amp/Cab on stage.......

Did I misread what you're wanting to do?

What I was getting at is set ups I've seen where you split the signal after the amp block, one goes to your power amp and guitar cab, the other goes through a cab block and then to FOH.

What I was getting at is set ups I've seen where you split the signal after the amp block, one goes to your power amp and guitar cab, the other goes through a cab block and then to FOH.

But you're not wanting it to go through the Amp block prior to your Power Amp on stage are you?

With the AX8 only supporting a single amp block... you are not going to be able to have only modeled preamps on one path and modeled preamps + Power amps + Cabinets on another. Not gonna happen.

You'll have to include the power amp modeling I do think in order to accomplish what you are after with the AX8... (which shouldn't be a big deal if you have enough headroom in the amp.)

Back
Top Bottom