"Real amps" vs Modelers

It should be able to drive two monitors side by side though, which will give you the same screen real estate as that one
Built in screen is 1920x1080.
Not sure how big a virtual desktop is could drive.
Guess when I get to drilling on this bit I'll just get another monitor and see what I can do.

Dig around Cliff's posts over the last 15 years, a lot of that randomness can be accounted for and is precisely why so many go to Fractal.

I've heard people gripe about modelers sounding too perfect and I never understood until recently. It's hard NOT to dial them into a 'perfect' state because the options are there. Some woofy low end on certain notes in an otherwise great sounding preset? Dial it out. A little fizz on the top that's just kinda gettin' to ya sometimes? Dial it out. Why not, the options are there and it's easy enough!

But these are the exact things about tube amps that could also fall under the 'randomness' umbrella. It's hard to unhear the idealized version of your tone in your head, but chances are, the idealized tone in your head is playing along with some other instruments that are going to have a big affect on how that tones ends up sounding, so if you START with the idealized version, by the time you had everything else in, you've now moved away from your idealized version and most certainly further away from the sound of a 'natural tube amp' on a recording.

There's definitely a lot of recordings as of late where I can tell they're using a modeler because the way it sounds. It's not that it's bad in any way, it's just the progression of guitar tones with the technology available at the time. Surely back in the 90's there were dudes saying "That's not a Marshall with an SD-1 in front, that either a Peavey or a Mesa"

I also suspect that's why you hear some people/bands having tracks re-amped through actual amps on albums, Periphery and Tosin Abasi are known for this, it's hard to dial presets back to being raw and 'unruly' like a tube amp after you've spent so much time making them perfect.
Imperfections like fizz, blocking distortion etc, aren't the same thing as randomness.

I have no idea how much randomness there actually is in quality tube circuits, and any digital imitation of that would be subject to questions about the qualities of its random behavior, pretty tricky to get a handle on.

Doesn't mean tube circuits don't have a random component, or that it's not important.
Still, it seems like a lot of other things Fractal got right are way more important to how things feel.

I don't have any experience playing tube amps, so I can't speak to the accuracy.

If you haven't played a tube amp, I'd highly recommend that you try it sometime. That way, you at least have some experience yourself, even if it's only a few minutes, and can draw your own conclusions. Playing in front of a cranked Marshall stack is an experience.

Having said that, I agree with what others have said here. Modelers are great, too, and when running enough power into similar speakers, can give the same experience. IRs may be an instant in time, but so is any recording.

For me, it's what tool is right for the job at hand... If I want ease and consistency, I'll use my AFX. If I want to get loud, I'll plug into one of my amps. Similarly, if I'm going to play some metal, I'll pick up my ESP. If I want to play some blues, maybe I'll pick up my Strat. Wanna rock? I'll go for my Les Paul. Everything depends on what I want to do at any given time and I think we're all lucky to have so many tools at our disposal.

I played an analog tube rig for about 10 years. It consisted of a Randall RM100 (4x EL34) with a single high-gain module (it was called the Ultra - it had two 12AX7's), a Rivera Knucklehead K412T cab with (British) Celestion Vintage30's, a pedalboard with various clean boosts along the way (modded Ibanez TS-5 that was AWESOME, and a Maxon - basically a TS9), Boss NS-2, Boss DM-2W Waza Craft delay, and a Strymon Ojai. It did literally one thing but it did it well. Before I sold everything to commit to the modelling lark, I did love the absolutely insane high-gain tone I was getting. There is something - a sort of je ne sais quoi, as contrite as that sounds - about tube amps that modelers still don't quite replicate, and it is that feeling under your fingers, whether you call it "randomness" or responsiveness. I would describe it as your fingers feeling what's actually happening - what you're doing with your hands going through real transformers and tubes.

Back
Top Bottom