Real amp into Axe FXII Cab Sim only

I have a few great amps and although I think the AXE FX II is an invaluable tool for the studio I am not ready to jettison real amps for live.

Any way last night I tried running into my 65 Deluxe into a Palmer PDI-03 ,line out, into the AXE FX II rear input, into a patch with just a cab block. Kind of a hybrid approach: real amp but using the AXE FXII for cab simulation only. So far the results are great.

Has anyone else tried this or perfected the best way to approach this idea?
Thanks for any input

This is a great idea and should work perfectly technically. All you need is a load box which you already have. The Two Notes Torpedo is basically the same thing the only difference is it has its own loadbox

Just got an Engl E530 the other day since I've always been really interested to try one out and it sounds awesome direct into the Axe-fx.

Here is a super quick clip I did before swapping out the pickups.

I'm trying this right now. Friedman Marsha > Palmer PGA 04 > GB Quad no fx.
Palmer PGA 04 > Axe II, delay and reverb, cab sim > Matrix GT800FX > Matrix CFR 12.
Simply awesome sound. I'm a little stuck using the pre preamp FX, Octaver, Chorus, Flanger, Wah.
I got the Axe to simplify things too , oh well.
5zya.jpg

I've tried a similar approach using an ADA-MP1, but with not so satisfactory results. I figure I need to tweak the thing a bit more, lacking the time currently.

Question: Would it be possible to connect your amp via 4CM so you could drive some pedals "in front" of it?

I apologize if the question seems silly, it could be that I'm not totally understanding what the OP is trying to do. Thanks for understanding.

I've tried a similar approach using an ADA-MP1, but with not so satisfactory results. I figure I need to tweak the thing a bit more, lacking the time currently.

Question: Would it be possible to connect your amp via 4CM so you could drive some pedals "in front" of it?

I apologize if the question seems silly, it could be that I'm not totally understanding what the OP is trying to do. Thanks for understanding.

I'm not having any luck with the 4CM. It kills the amp dynamics for me using 4CM, digitizes the tone, loses the openness and cuts bottom end thud.

From what I understand, you guys are using a speaker simulator, right? Do you really need one to achieve tonally good results? If yes, why? If no, why not?

I'm trying to understand the mechanics here. Would love to be able to play my MP1 through the Axe.

Thanks,

Psy

Last edited:
From what I understand, you guys are using a speaker simulator, right? Do you really need one to achieve tonally good results? If yes, why? If no, why not?

I'm trying to understand the mechanics here. Would love to be able to play my MP1 through the Axe.

Thanks,

Gonçalo

If you use a pre AND power amp, then you need something to take the signal (from the power amp) to line level. Otherwise you will fry your Axe.
The chain will be like this:
Guitar->pre amp->power amp->power attenuator/speaker simulator (like Palmer / THX hotplate etc) -> Axe FX -> Recording device.

Most hardware speaker simulators have a line level output without the speaker simulation. This can be fed safely to the Axe. Then you can use the speaker simulation of the Axe.

Because cabs play a big role in eq-ing the sound... it cut and boost some freq... generally speaking, preamp (and power amp) put out a lot of unpleasant high freq: they are born to interact with guitar speaker, they compensate each other.
I did try also with triaxes and X3M with wonderful result. Maybe you could try lowering gain in (real) preamp and add amp emulation block before cab, just a clean/crunch amp with almost clean setting.

If you use a pre AND power amp, then you need something to take the signal (from the power amp) to line level. Otherwise you will fry your Axe.
The chain will be like this:
Guitar->pre amp->power amp->power attenuator/speaker simulator (like Palmer / THX hotplate etc) -> Axe FX -> Recording device.

Most hardware speaker simulators have a line level output without the speaker simulation. This can be fed safely to the Axe. Then you can use the speaker simulation of the Axe.

Ok..
I have a THD Univalve. It has a Hot Plate sorta built into it. On the back on the amp, is a switch that can be put to 10kohm Line Out, or Instrument Level.
I can input the Univalve into the Axe, eh, and use the cab sims and FX? Through which input would be best?

Ok..
I have a THD Univalve. It has a Hot Plate sorta built into it. On the back on the amp, is a switch that can be put to 10kohm Line Out, or Instrument Level.
I can input the Univalve into the Axe, eh, and use the cab sims and FX? Through which input would be best?

I used the rear one and set the input level on the Axe FX.

Back
Top Bottom