Reading in & out midi/sysex between AXEFX & a Foot Controller

bossredman

Inspired
I have made myself a midi foot controller for my AxeFX2.
Connected I guess in the standard way - ie
Midi IN on Controller connected to midi OUT on AFX
Midi OUT on Controller connected to midi IN on AFX

I'm curious to know what kind of hardware I would need to be able to caputure ALL midi & sysex msgs:
1- being sent FROM AFX to Controller
2- being recieved by AFX from Controller....

All whilst being able to use the AFX & controller in the normal way & not having to disconnect anything.

Any specific makes/models would also be welcomed.

Thanks

Also - any idea of any midi sniffing s/w that can filterstrip sysex msgs to just show say the nth byte?
eg
instead of : [0xF0, 0x00, 0x01, 0x74, 0x03, 0x14, 0x00, 0x00, 0x19, 0xF7];
just [0x14] say

Unfortunately the axe fx doesnt send any other midi data than tap tempo and tuner info; not even PC messages are sent (it appears axe fx 3 does). So you could reduce by one câble as these infos also can go over the second pair of a single midi cable. Together with a bit short loop time in stereo operation, it's the two only subjects I ever experienced as weaker points on axe fx II.

Midi Snoize

Midi OX

Midi Monitor

These pieces of software can record the midi traffic in and out

With the Axe II, if you disable the send sysex so that you don't receive tempo or tuner, you can capture any sysex that happens between Axe Edit and the Axe II. For instance, if you want to flip a switch that does not have a modifier attachment, you can turn it on, and then off, and see what sysex Axe Edit is using to control the Axe II. If your midi controller can send sysex, you can then flip switches and turn knobs that don't have modifiers attached, although turning knobs involves a lot of sysex messages. On and off of switches is easy.

Actually, not too bothered about midi messages.. More interested in the sysex stuff

So you could reduce by one câble as these infos also can go over the second pair of a single midi cable.
Does that require special configuration..?

I began the process of making my own MIDI controller, also. I was able to capture sysex messages with MIDI OX. This was 2 years ago and I gave up after a period of time since it was too far over my head, but MIDI OX worked great.

Thanks for all the responses so far.. appreciate folks taking the time to help.

Hope this doesn't come across wrong.. But they are not really answering my questions unfortunately.

With regards the sw. I'm looking for something to display/ read only the 6th byte of each sysex.
IE the Function ID.
And I want to clearly see what ' type' of msgs are being sent by and to the afx.

As for the hardware.
Do I need a USB 2 x 2 port midi interface with midi thru on each set of ports. So I can essentially spy on the sysex traffic to and fro without affecting the functionality of either the afx or foot controller.

Finally... I started off knowing absolutely nothing about midi, sysex, and micro controllers and just a little VBA coding experience.
With the help of folks on this and the Teensy forum... I've got there. Way beyond what I thought I could achieve.
So don't give up mate.
My final piece is trying to get my controller to update based on front panel changes.
Hence these questions.

Do I need a USB 2 x 2 port midi interface with midi thru on each set of ports.

A Midisport 2x2 would work.

http://m-audio.com/products/view/midisport-2x2-anniversary-edition

When monitoring data, MIDI thru needs to be accomplished with software. The rest of the time, switch 2x2 to "thru" mode.

Bome's SendSX is one option for this sort of monitoring. Two instances can be run at once, each monitoring and providing MIDI thru in one direction.

https://www.bome.com/products/sendsx

I don't know if you'll find anything with the 6th-byte-only display ability. With SendSX (and possibly others) each sysex command would start on a new line, so at least you'd have the 6th bytes all in one column.

Back
Top Bottom