Read me if you like In Ears!

This is what really interests me. I'm using a wireless belt clip with my guitar now and would like to figure out how to most... ergonomically (?)... add wireless IE's without adding a ton of junk to my person. I was thinking about some kinda' shrink wrapped pair of cables (one 1/4" for guitar, the other with a female 1/8" terminal for IEs), but what you were talking about seemed like a more streamlined idea. Do you have pics of what actually ends up on you for gigs?

No wireless at all for me - hence the combined guitar & in-ear cable. It's much the same theory as the Jump Audio option that Rane posted, just far cheaper. I kitted out three guys for less than one Jump Audio
thumbsup.gif

Here's a shot from last night's soundcheck:

Combined-Guitar-In-Ear-Cable.jpg

Not the clearest shot, but on my belt, you can see the small Fischer Audio belt-clip box and how the cable splits to that box and the guitar. The in-ears plug into the Fischer box of course

No wireless at all for me - hence the combined guitar & in-ear cable. It's much the same theory as the Jump Audio option that Rane posted, just far cheaper. I kitted out three guys for less than one Jump Audio
thumbsup.gif

Here's a shot from last night's soundcheck:

Combined-Guitar-In-Ear-Cable.jpg

Not the clearest shot, but on my belt, you can see the small Fischer Audio belt-clip box and how the cable splits to that box and the guitar. The in-ears plug into the Fischer box of course

Nice! I was looking for an alternative to the IXM, but I couldn't find a decent belt-clip and housing combination aside from the Behringer P1 (which is a battery powered headphone amp). That Fischer Mini DI-Box looks like a great solution.

How did you do the cable? Is it just a two pair snake shrink-wrapped and terminated? I've got a few other band members who are looking to go in-ears and the IXM is, as you said, expensive.

I use in-ears with this thing: http://posseaudio.com/

Works wonders when you don't have a quality engineer (or any engineer - eeek!) running the sound. Gives you independent volume control (in your ears) of your guitar (or insert other instrument here), vocals, a desk send, and two ambient mics on the unit itself. Also allows you to run one lead from the unit to yourself carrying your guitar signal in one direction and stereo in-ear signal in the other direction.

Has lots of nice features, wouldn't gig without it.

Nice! I was looking for an alternative to the IXM, but I couldn't find a decent belt-clip and housing combination aside from the Behringer P1 (which is a battery powered headphone amp). That Fischer Mini DI-Box looks like a great solution.

How did you do the cable? Is it just a two pair snake shrink-wrapped and terminated? I've got a few other band members who are looking to go in-ears and the IXM is, as you said, expensive.

It's two individually screened stereo pairs in a fig 8 profile (Klotz, TP414) housed in some braided sleeve. On the guitar side, I simply wire both cores to the guitar jack tip. The end result is not the most soft, pliable guitar lead in the world, but considering that it's a dual purpose solution, it's very effective!

I initially tried some Canare Quad cable that has 2 twisted pairs and one screen, but that didn't work out too well with crosstalk and the in-ear feed causing the guitar input to squeal on higher gain sounds. Belden have recently released a product (2222 cable) that would be absolutely perfect, but it's not commonly available and probably big money for a 100m reel from a distributor and I think, only in the US at this time.

These custom leads have done something like 60 gigs and lots of rehearsals and I can only recall mine needing any attention once after being tugged and although I hadn't during the soundcheck pictured above, at gig time I tend to put a loop into my pocket now to offer a little protection
thumbsup.gif

Hey guys!
Sorry about that. Haven't been updating on this thread. PM me! Just to be clear though, I can't offer a flat out discount. I apologize because thats exactly how my initial post was worded, but I've already been able to fix a few guys' Ears for free and some other things. PM Me!

Hey guys!
Sorry about that. Haven't been updating on this thread. PM me! Just to be clear though, I can't offer a flat out discount. I apologize because thats exactly how my initial post was worded, but I've already been able to fix a few guys' Ears for free and some other things. PM Me!

PM sent

So for a nuubee to IE's what s the most basic way of using them with the Axe FX. I was intrigued by Coopers class last week when he mentioned that he sometimes just uses IE's for get his sound dialed in so I wonder would you just use the IE's with the headphone input or...???

Many thanks

So for a nuubee to IE's what s the most basic way of using them with the Axe FX. I was intrigued by Coopers class last week when he mentioned that he sometimes just uses IE's for get his sound dialed in so I wonder would you just use the IE's with the headphone input or...???

Many thanks

You could plug into the headphone out if all you want to hear is the Axe. If you want to have a full stage mix, however, you'll need some kind of mix send from your FOH mixer to a headphone amp.

Back
Top Bottom