Read me if you like In Ears!

tfodor

Inspired
Hey guys,

I help out with the guys at Ultimate Ears. Coming up the new few weeks I will start working with my Axe II and UE to show people on the forum how great the two systems work together live. I can help you guys out with questions, pricing, whatever. If you're interested, send me a PM! Or, feel free to post here!

Thanks!

Travis

EDIT: See the big post below! Had to tweak my original post a bit to prevent some repetition.

Last edited:
How "fat" a discount on a set of UE900 and can you ship to the UK?

They're currently £329 and I'm considering A/Bing them with my shure SE535.....

Travis ....

How bout an introductory "In Ears for Dummies" ....

I'd love to go that route, especially for home practicing .... But truthfully, I'm over 50 years old ( a bit of a technology dunce ), and I don't know where to begin ....

THANKS !

I have UE7's and Axe-FX and am quite a happy camper, although I do have one issue with my IEMs if you can help me out? I've been meaning to contact support about it. Feel free to DM if you want to talk.

How "fat" a discount on a set of UE900 and can you ship to the UK?

They're currently £329 and I'm considering A/Bing them with my shure SE535.....

Hey Damien!

I'm only 'really' able to help people out starting at the 11's. I work with the fitted Monitors, and not the earbud style ones. Sorry about that! That's a pretty solid price, though.

Travis ....

How bout an introductory "In Ears for Dummies" ....

I'd love to go that route, especially for home practicing .... But truthfully, I'm over 50 years old ( a bit of a technology dunce ), and I don't know where to begin ....

THANKS !

Woohoo!

Alright so, hmm..where to start about In Ear Monitors...

What we do at UE is take a mold of your ear, send that mold out to California, and 3D print a pair of in ears that are custom fit for your ears.

We offer a bunch of different models all designed for different things.

For example, the UE11's have 4 drivers, and a 3 way crossover. We tweak them to work best with bassists, DJ's, and drummers. These monitors...you guessed it..are bass heavy and actually include a subwoofer!

We have the UE7, which is focused on singers. We also have the UE-18, which are designed for Engineers and mixing. Before I get into the Axe stuff, here's a quick breakdown comparing the models:

UE4: 2 drivers, 2 way crossover, best for people who are just trying to get their feet wet with In Ears. Retail: $399
UE5: 2 drivers, 2 way crossover, best for budget live musicians. Retail $600
UE7: 3 drivers, 3 way crossover. Vocalists, for $850.
UE11: 4 Drivers, 3 way crossover. Subwoofer people! $1150.
UE18: 6 Drivers, 3 way crossover. Touring Musicians, mix engineers, all the good stuff. $1350
UERM 3 Drivers, 3 Crossovers. Designed for mix engineers. $999

We also make the UE1 and the UEPRM. The UE1 is a single in ear,, while the UEPRM conforms to the problems within your own hearing and adjusts accordingly for an ideal frequency response.

A lot of people ask me if they are "noise canceling." I hate this term. In Ears have a noise reduction of 17/18 dB passively. Ask anyone who's used them onstage and (with little engineering) it's the perfect blend of room and noise reduction.

I would prefer to not discuss pricing in detail over the forum, but rather a PM. I will say though, I can do the best for you guys with a bulk order of 7's and lower models, or a single pair starting at the 11's.

I'd be happy to discuss which pair would work best for you and your particular use for them. I'm not a "salesman" and don't work off commission so I won't be pushing you to get the best pair we have if you wanna listen to youtube-ripped mp3's all day. In general, it seems that a lot of people grab a pair of the 18's. I've worked with a few bassists who end up going from the 11's to the 18's and vice versa.

R.D, based off of your one post, the first question I would ask you would be your budget. As I mentioned, I'm starting to work with the Axe FX and UE to act as the middle man between the two. I personally LOVE working with the 18's because I can mix, track some guitar, and lock in tones depending on my setup. I'm starting to figure out how I want my FOH sounds to sound in the UE's, along with my cab sounds...crazy.

Thanks guys, feel free to ask more questions! As for the guys who PM'd me, I will be getting back to you too!

Thanks again,

Travis

Last edited:
IE noob here.
How well do these translate to the sound coming out of a pair of CLRs?

IE noob here.
How well do these translate to the sound coming out of a pair of CLRs?

I personally have never used a pair of CLR's, but the UE18's would sound really great. Some of the other models would color it slightly based on the spec of the IEM, but the UE5's would be the second best in terms of pure reproduction of sound. I recently met with Christ Barretto of Monuments to talk about his UE18's. Yes, he's a singer but loved the transparency from his band coming into his own mix.

I'm planning on eventually sitting with as many pairs as I can with my Axe, and really getting some good AB testing done for you guys.

Just finished a set with my UE-18s and my Axe. We are silent stage at this venue and I depend on the UE-18s with my Aviom A360 and Shure PCM 900 to deliver an inspiring mix and they do. I used a CLR up until we went completely silent and the transition was seamless. I still program my patches at home with a pair of CLRs and have never felt that anything was lost in translation to the UE-18s. I do need to get a backup pair at some point as I am gigging these every week and have had to send them in for repairs a couple of times over the last 5 years.

Note: I got these with the ambient port however I don't use it as it negatively impacted the bass response.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a n00b when it comes to IEM's. How do you get the sound from your Axe/FOH to your IEM's? Do you need a separate UHF reciever?

You can indeed do it wirelessly Fabio... or I've built a combined cable that sends a stereo in-ear mix to me via a small volume control on belt-clip box and also takes my guitar signal back to the rack
thumbsup.gif

All the routing is done in our digital mixer that handles FOH mix and four separate, stereo in-ear sends (one for each band member)

Yes, it's as slick as an extremely slippery thing
biggrin.gif

Coverd-Rack.jpg

You can indeed do it wirelessly Fabio... or I've built a combined cable that sends a stereo in-ear mix to me via a small volume control on belt-clip box and also takes my guitar signal back to the rack
thumbsup.gif

All the routing is done in our digital mixer that handles FOH mix and four separate, stereo in-ear sends (one for each band member)

Yes, it's as slick as an extremely slippery thing
biggrin.gif

Coverd-Rack.jpg

I would really like to hear more about this if you don't mind expanding a little?

I would really like to hear more about this if you don't mind expanding a little?

What would you like to know Rotti..?

The end result is simple yet massively effective and 100% consistent. However, as always, there's an absolute boat load of planning and work that goes into getting it to that stage :)

In essence, everything in the 4-piece band is run direct - no amps or monitors in the 'silent stage' approach. Guitars, Bass, Keys all plug straight into the mixer desk and even the Drums have acoustic shells for the visual aspect, yet are fitted with mesh heads and triggers (triggered cymbals too) to keep the volume 100% controllable and the sound completely replicable with zero need for stacks of mics, stands and sound checks!

All the instruments get mixed for FOH and in my case, I simply mirror that very same mix on my own stereo monitor send (the Allen & Heath Qu-16 board has 1 x L&R Main output, 3 x additional stereo outputs and 4 x mono outputs). The only adjustment I make to my personal mix over the main FOH balance is to lift my vocal level for my in-ear mix so that I can actually 'hear' the voice and effects in my ears over the natural head voice.

The other guys in the band have a slight lift also in their mix for their own instrument and vocal mic, but ultimately, we all get to hear the full band in glorious stereo
thumbsup.gif

From the mixer, the individual monitor mixes get sent to a Presonus HP60 (the silver unit with row of blue knobs) to drive everyone's individual set of in-ears. You can see 4 angled silver stereo jacks exiting the front that unit and those go to a custom rack panel on the back of the rack that everyone's 'split cables' get plugged into.

The 'special' cable is two individually screened stereo pairs combined within one outer cover - not heavy cable, but durable all the same. One of those pairs hooks up to a belt-clipped box that has an input, overall volume control and an 1/8 stereo mini jack to plug the in-ear buds into, whilst the other cable in the joint pair simply terminates in a regular (silent switching Neutrik) 1/4 jack for the guitar output.

With full recall of mix settings in the digital mixer, we can roll up at a gig, get set, check that we have signals and play with no real need for a soundcheck, 100% sure in the knowledge that it's going to sound great. Of course, you like to do a check just for fun and tweak the FOH response for the room, but it's minimal work once out in the field... remember though, that's purely because so much work has gone in beforehand!
yessmiley.gif

The 'special' cable is two individually screened stereo pairs combined within one outer cover - not heavy cable, but durable all the same. One of those pairs hooks up to a belt-clipped box that has an input, overall volume control and an 1/8 stereo mini jack to plug the in-ear buds into, whilst the other cable in the joint pair simply terminates in a regular (silent switching Neutrik) 1/4 jack for the guitar output.

This is what really interests me. I'm using a wireless belt clip with my guitar now and would like to figure out how to most... ergonomically (?)... add wireless IE's without adding a ton of junk to my person. I was thinking about some kinda' shrink wrapped pair of cables (one 1/4" for guitar, the other with a female 1/8" terminal for IEs), but what you were talking about seemed like a more streamlined idea. Do you have pics of what actually ends up on you for gigs?

This is what really interests me. I'm using a wireless belt clip with my guitar now and would like to figure out how to most... ergonomically (?)... add wireless IE's without adding a ton of junk to my person. I was thinking about some kinda' shrink wrapped pair of cables (one 1/4" for guitar, the other with a female 1/8" terminal for IEs), but what you were talking about seemed like a more streamlined idea. Do you have pics of what actually ends up on you for gigs?

I use this: Jump Audio IXM It's basically a mini snake that caries your guitar and headphone signal together. The body pack just clips on your belt.

ixmcable.jpg

I use this: Jump Audio IXM It's basically a mini snake that caries your guitar and headphone signal together. The body pack just clips on your belt.

with this setup, i'm assuming your in ear mix should not have your instrument due to phasing issues, and just doubling in general?

with this setup, i'm assuming your in ear mix should not have your instrument due to phasing issues, and just doubling in general?

No mixing goes on inside the belt pack. It's just a junction/breakout box with a passive attenuator for the headphone out. The idea is to consolidate your guitar and headphone cables so you only have to worry about one cable instead of two.

Back
Top Bottom