Reactor Wedge Expirament Failed... any cab suggestions?

jbcrazy

I tried the Atomic Reactor Wedge in a live setting and it really wasn't working for me. I got a better result using poweramp/real cab. I WAS REALLY IMPRESSED with the poweramp in this thing though so... I will be picking up a monoblock as well as a Fryette 2:90 as my two poweramps. But.. cabs.

I own a V30 Mesa Boogie 2x12 and a Bogner Uberkab. They sound great but I wonder if there are better alternatives. I've heard GK100 loaded cabs seem to do well w/ the the Axe-FX with their neutral nature. Any suggestions anyone? I am looking mostly for a great Rock/metal tone but want to have some free exploring with the other amp models in the FX.

jbcrazy said:
I tried the Atomic Reactor Wedge in a live setting and it really wasn't working for me. I got a better result using poweramp/real cab. I WAS REALLY IMPRESSED with the poweramp in this thing though so... I will be picking up a monoblock as well as a Fryette 2:90 as my two poweramps. But.. cabs.

I own a V30 Mesa Boogie 2x12 and a Bogner Uberkab. They sound great but I wonder if there are better alternatives. I've heard GK100 loaded cabs seem to do well w/ the the Axe-FX with their neutral nature. Any suggestions anyone? I am looking mostly for a great Rock/metal tone but want to have some free exploring with the other amp models in the FX.
Try the port city os cabs 1-12 or 2-12 with blackbird speakers, amazing bass responce!

I doesn't so much matter the cabs, as the speakers.
If you are going with a tubed power amp (I use the 2/90/2)
get some high powered, super clear speakers. The most
uncolored speakers I've found are EVM 12L (I use the new
Classics) and Weber Californias (either paper or alum cap).
Weber Michigans would probably work great too (their EVM
clone).

Do NOT use V30's. They will sound like crap and color the
hell out of the sound. Also, if you get a 2/90/2, the stock
preamp tubes are garbage. Get some decent 12AX7's and
12AU7's. The later you can still get NOS British/American
for cheap. Also, the stock power tubes are Electro-Harmonics
that sound polite and wimpy (they are better in home stereos).
Get a set of JJ KT88's and A/B them side to side with the
EH. You'll be amazed. The JJ rock with studly mids and massive
bass. I went with NOS GE6550's, but those are really expensive.
Go with JJ's.

Actually the enclosure makes a difference, the cool thing about the port city cab it gives you closed and open back kind of thing in one cab. It makes a big impact on the bass response.

rdomain said:
Do NOT use V30's. They will sound like crap and color the
hell out of the sound.
I use a Mesa Recto quad (V30s) with my Ultra and an SLA2. It sounds frickin' amazing!

Same here, I have a pair of V30 loaded 112's and they work great with certain amp models as well as the 412 cabs I use to have. To say that a V30 sounds like crap is not a true statement. Many guitarists use them and for good reasons. Now if your using them with a specific amp model say the AC30TB and don't like the tone that's different. If your looking for a speaker that doesn't color the sound as much as a guitar speaker does then you need to go FR.

jbcrazy,
+1,000 on the port city cabs. my 1x12 os wave cab sounds bigger than most 2x12 cabs. i would get a pair of these and run them in stereo. they are very lightweight if you put a jensen neo speaker in them. just call or email daniel and he will set you straight on the right speakers for your application. keep us posted!

Back
Top Bottom