Reaction of Mastering Engineer

Cainer

Experienced
I'm in the studio having my album mastered today, and I waited until the engineer had been through the whole album to tell him all the guitars were through a digital modeller, and his reaction was "what?!? Are you serious?!" He said he never would've guessed. Pretty happy with the tones I've been able to get!IMG_3554.JPG

Sometimes if people see it before they hear it their preconceptions take over... its always somewhat satisfying when people go in blind and love it and then are shell shocked when they find out where the tones are coming from.

Awesome, Cainer. Good luck with the album. Looking forward to hearing it. I'm in the middle of recording an album ATM, so i'm curious, where/how did you record and mix the album?

Awesome, Cainer. Good luck with the album. Looking forward to hearing it. I'm in the middle of recording an album ATM, so i'm curious, where/how did you record and mix the album?
Thanks man! We laid down drum tracks and bass at a studio (Will Muir) in town where I live (Kitchener), then I recorded most of my guitar tracks at home with the Axe and uploaded them. A few 'scratch" guitar tracks ended up on the album though. I went into the studio to record vocals last. Will mixed it, then after a few back and forths and sitting in on a couple mix sessions, they were good to go for mastering. The key is to get the drum tracks nailed, because you can always punch in or overdub bass, guitar or vocals. We all played together to get the drum tracks nailed though, so the feel was pretty good I think. Used a click for all but one tune.

Good luck with your album!!

I wish I could convince Marshall Block (Reel 2 Reel) of this. His studio is a mile from our house.

Then again, apparently he's doing a lot of purely commercial music, much of which is electronic.

Slightly awesome space he has there!

When I look at that, it reminds me that me using 25 year old Sony V-6's is probably a lot of what my problems are, when it comes to mixing and mastering.

On a more serious note - Gary, you're one of the most talented and tasteful players on here. I identify with your playing. It is way beyond my ability, but I connect with it. Some of the shredders and sweep pickers, are so far out there, I can't connect to it.

I will keep checking back for album release information and purchase it when it is available, for sure.

Rod Z
Ohio

WOW, lets us know when it's available for purchase!

Congrats!

Will do - thanks!

When I look at that, it reminds me that me using 25 year old Sony V-6's is probably a lot of what my problems are, when it comes to mixing and mastering.

On a more serious note - Gary, you're one of the most talented and tasteful players on here. I identify with your playing. It is way beyond my ability, but I connect with it. Some of the shredders and sweep pickers, are so far out there, I can't connect to it.

I will keep checking back for album release information and purchase it when it is available, for sure.

Rod Z
Ohio

Thanks Rod - super nice of you to say and much appreciated! No hard release date on the album yet, but hoping it'll be this year. I'll sing it from the mountain-tops once it's out ;)

I'll echo the others - durned fine playing! The beautiful thing is that I could just listen to it and never get bored with your phrasing - my own, sadly needs some work there. I'll be looking for the update when your album is ready!

Some very nice work, Mr. Cain! For me, music generally falls into one of three categories - stuff I don't want to ever hear again, stuff I wouldn't mind hearing again, and stuff I want to hear again. Your stuff definitely falls in the last and most sparsely populated category. I'll be looking forward to your album release.

Slightly awesome space he has there!
Wow, seems the Enterprise bridge!!
Man, you are in good hands

Convert people is a pleasure: I was selling a guitar and yesterday a mature guy came to my house, he is all analog and uses his trusty Soldano SLO for straightforward rock in a weekly gigging band, I have some nice presets of Solo100 3 channels, so i said to him "let's play some Soldano tones" he was around the room looking for a head and a cab, but there was only a rack and a monitor...he had no notice of Fractal and was a bit skeptical while I was turning on the gear, but when the thing started to sound...you should have seen his astonished face, then I talked a bit about the portable AX8 concept and he came to a conclusion: "My back just need this".

My guitar have a new home and the word is spreading

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom