Reaching out for help.

gibvictory

Inspired
Downloaded FW 19.00 along with latest Bot and Edit. Transferred all to Axe and it all worked except I didn't like how anything sounded. I know this has been covered before. I decided to roll back to 18.08 with the correct Edit and Bot after I noticed some parameters in the amp blocks were no longer in FW 19.00. I was gonna take some notes and redownload FW 19.00. I saved my 18.08 presets two different times having made some changes. Neither version of my saved presets load into the Axe. The firmware (18.08) is loaded into the unit. All the preset slots are blank. Every time I ask for help it is usually something simple and overlooked. Any ideas?

There have been many posts about everything sounding thin when FW19 was downloaded for the first time. This is what I experienced. The fix seems to be to redownload the firmware and then all things are well. When I started to look into some of the deeper parameters in the amp block and saw some of them were gone I decided to stop right there, roll back to 18.08 to take some notes and then I was going to redownload FW19. I also know some of my deeper parameter changes would not be saved with firmware updates. I didn't back up anything with FW19 so no saved presets there. If I can't retrieve my presets using FW 18.08 (which I saved twice) I'm screwed. I've got six weeks of gigs coming up.

Did you backup with Bot or save each preset separately? If you can't restore via Bot, then try: open AxeEdit, select Presets, then drag and drop the appropriate bank.syx to the correct preset bank OR the individual song.syx (if that's how you "backed up" your presets instead of using Bot) and drop it to the preset slot of your choice. More info might be helpful to know what you're dealing with. Also, you may want to power down your Axe then power back up before trying the restore again. Hope this helps.

If you backed up your FW 18 presets while still on FW 18 then they should work? If you backed up your presets after updating to FW 19 then they will be recognized by the Axe FX as FW 19 presets and won't be usable in FW 18?

^^^ This, your saved presets should be loading into 18. as long as you backed up before you updated to 19. It should be simple as selecting the right files and loading them back in.

savage1969, moke and sixstring. I backed up with Bot. I backed up Bank A,B and C as well as user cabs and system sys. while on 18.08. After getting the new Edit and Bot for FW19 I downloaded FW19 with the new Bot. All my presets were there. When I decided to go back to FW 18.08 I went back to the previous Edit and Bot and downloaded FW 18.08, then using Bot I downloaded my saved presets made in that firmware, all three banks, user cabs and system sys. Did the appropriate five second turn off and there's nothing loaded in my Axe. I've tried this several times. I will try using Edit to do it. I've never used Edit to transfer files to the Axe before.

Chris, what I mean by deeper parameters are the speaker, dynamics, power, etc, sections in the amp blocks. Some of the parameters in those tabs in FW 18 are no longer there in FW 19. I know BMTP does not change but anything saved on those other tabs default when going to a new firmware. At least that is what I understand.

Last edited:
So, using Axe Edit, I selected a preset location. Then clicked the "preset" tab at the top of the page. Clicked "import preset". Chose the saved preset file from FW18.08 and clicked Bank A. I can now see all my presets. When I clicked on the preset I wanted to import I saw at the bottom of Axe Edit that it was trying to communicate but nothing loaded into the slot chosen. Can't seem to drag and drop anything. Any other ideas? Could it be a setting on the Axe itself? I saw all my presets in Axe Edit trying what I described above.

So strange? Your banks seem to be saved in your computer, but not loading? Are you 100% sure that the bank file that you are trying to load from is from 18.08?? not 18.07 or 18.06?

Have you tried resetting the axe? System parameters? I would "backup" the existing sys parms before resetting also.

Did you:

Check to see which FW is loaded? I mean physically look in the utility menu of the axe.

Sounds to me like you have a mismatch of FW, backups,

BTW-MAc or PC - and what OS.

I went from FW 17.02 to 18.08. Never downloaded anything else until FW19. I checked the Utility menu right after I re-downloaded FW18.08. I'm using a PC. I'll try resetting the Axe. As for backing up the system parameters I have to question what I'm backing up at this point. I have not changed them in so long I'm not confident they're set correctly given the issues I'm having. I can tell you I saved the system sys when I saved all my FW 18.08 presets. If anyone has any further thoughts please share them. I thought I had a few days to screw around with FW19 before this weekends gig. Now I'll be relieved to just get back to what I had.

This might sound crazy but.........Try going back to 17.02, send everything back into the Axe FX, then update to 18.08?

Also, post one of your presets from your back-up banks here so others can try to load them?

I gotta crash for work tomorrow but let me try to help being more specific: You backed up with Bot, so you have each bank as a separate syx file. Open Bot, in the Send Tab select your appropriate Axe device, press "Browse" and select the Bank syx you want to recover (in Windows the default is likely Documents/Fractal Audio/Axe-Edit/Backups). It will be named xxxxxx-xxxxxx-bank-x.syx

Press "Begin" then the "Transmit Bank File" window will open. Use the drop down menu to select which bank to overwrite. Now press "Send".

If this does not work then either your backup is corrupt or you are on the wrong firmware that the backup was created. I say this from backing up and recovering many times over several firmwares. Give us feedback so we can further assist. We all have the best intentions so my apologies if these steps are a bit too detailed. I sincerely hope you recover.

Thanks for checking in. The answer is... sort of. I don't have a good explanation. In my OP I said I rolled back to FW 18.08 using the correct Bot and Axe Edit and nothing loaded. I had saved changes for FW 18.08 on four different occasions. Nothing loaded. For some reason I decided to try FW 18.10 which I downloaded when it came out but it was also funky and I had no time to screw with it. Had gigs coming up. Anyhow my presets loaded. What a relief. Even though that raised the question about which firmware I actually had my presets living in I was glad I got them back. The only downside was the only presets that loaded were the from four saves ago. I had made some tweaks that I really liked and lost them. Another thing is Bank C doesn't load. I have no saved presets there but weird anyhow. After my string of gigs I'm going to give FW 19 another whirl and load the factory presets into Bank C and will eventually be in a happy place. This is the first time I had anything like this happen.

Oh another strange thing. After I got my saved presets back I made some tweaks and decided to save. After that the presets in the Axe presets were all gone again. Axe completely empty. I re-downloaded what I just saved and I'm good. Just don't know what to make of that.

Back
Top Bottom