Re-Amping w/ Axe FX III -> Motu 828mk3 Hybrid Interface -> Cubase 12 Pro

Guys,

I am trying to figure out how to re-amp using the Axe Fx 3 into my Motu 828mk3 Hybrid interface using my DAW which is Cubase 12 Pro.

I do not wish to use the AXE FX 3 as my interface as I have other instruments, etc. that will be using plugins within the DAW that are not stringed instruments.

I am currently running SPDIF from the Axe FX 3 to the interface. I have tried using patch cables from output 3/4 using copy input 1 in the settings to inputs on my interface using a mono track to record the DI with no success.

I have read you can change internal/external settings on the Axe and interface then SPDIF should work by itself which I have had no success.

Also, I do have a Re-Amp box from Radial Engineering. (picture attached)

My goal is to record a wet and a clean DI per lane.

I have tried doing this for a long long time with no success.

I have attached a pic of my interface as it is not the most popular.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Attachments

• Motu 828Mk3 Hybrid Interface.jpg
    Motu 828Mk3 Hybrid Interface.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Radial_Engineering_ReAmp Box.jpg
    Radial_Engineering_ReAmp Box.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 6
Glenn,

I am currently using config #5.

I noticed in your Re-Amp video you have the interface set to the Axe Fx 3 correct? I can only use one interface in my DAW at a time. I would prefer not use Axe FX 3 as the interface. Do you have any tutorials walking through the process of setup prior to when your re-amping video begins?

Are you using an interface with your Axe FX3 or just the Axe? If you are using an interface along with the Axe... are you switching sources between the axe and your interface to pull this off?

Sorry for my ignorance. I am trying to figure this out.

Thanks,
Layne

See the instructions for configuration #5 in the recording guide above. It contains the instructions for re-amping. It's just a slight variation of what is in the re-amping tutorial video. Also, see my note above about the option you must use in Cubase.

Also, FWIW, I would recommend using configuration #4 instead of #5 if you can. It's a lot simpler.

Ok I see. I missed all the text below. My bad...

I am going to give this a shot and I will report back.

Thank you so much for your prompt response and resourceful information/videos.

In case it's not clear from the instructions, the only things in the re-amping video that would change for configuration #5:

1) There's no need to change the Axe-FX source from analog to digital, since it's already set to digital.
2) The usb channels you send to from the Cubase External FX will be any unused usb channel pair on the 828 and, when it's time to re-amp, set the source of the 828 spdif output to that usb channel pair.

Is your guitar plugged into a hi-z input on the interface? That's the best way to get a dry take for reamping if you're not using the AxeFX itself as the interface. You can record that hi-z input in your DAW while simultaneously sending that dry signal from the interface to the AxeFX via SPDIF (probably in your interface control software's Outputs section). Then send the processed AxeFX Audio back to the interface via a second SPDIF cable, and simultaneously record that. This is a pretty slick setup with no AD/DA conversions. Just have to make sure you get the levels right (gain on the interface hi-z should be all the way down, and the SPDIF input level on the AxeFX should be around -18 to -20dB in my experience).

Once you get this basic setup working and sounding the same as when you plug the guitar directly into the AxeFX, you can then reamp by simply changing the SPDIF output on your interface from the hi-z input to a playback channel, and setting the output of the dry guitar track in your DAW to that playback channel.

Last edited:
I am plugged into instrument input 2 on the front of the interface. I want to say its a hi-impedance input.. it does not specify. LOL I feel like such a noob.

I do have 2 SPDIF cables plugged into the interface and AXEFX3.

Are you certain you have everything configured correctly in the MOTU CueMix or MatrixMix application that installed with the drivers and runs in your system tray? I use all analog connections with my MOTU 828es and plug my guitar into one of its instrument jacks, as opposed to using the instrument input on the front of the AxeFX3.

I am not sure if my 828 can do what you are outlining to do with USB in #2 or in your #5 tutorial. I am at a loss.

Configuration #5 should work fine with an 828. I've used an 828 myself in the past. Just follow the instructions in the recording guide carefully. It looks like your input busses are setup correctly in cubase. Assuming you've got cables plugged into those ports, you should be ready to start recording wet and DI tracks. Set the 828 to monitor spdif input and you're all set.

Last edited:
I am able to get audio out using output returns for SPDIF. However, it seems absolutely awful and distorted almost like it running another sample rate. I am running 48 but it sounds like 44 running into 48. Nasty.

When I plug into the Axe FX 3 and run SPDIF to the interface it sounds fantastic and full.

Any reason this would happen?

Make sure your clock sources are set correctly. It looks like you have the Axe-FX set to get clock from spdif, so make sure the 828 is set to internal clock.

Make sure your clock sources are set correctly. It looks like you have the Axe-FX set to get clock from spdif, so make sure the 828 is set to internal clock.
I think it is set properly. I have word clock in Axe Edit set to SPDIF/AES IN and within Motu Audio Console I have Master Clock Source set to Internal.

Same settings as the pics above.

I have verified those settings and I cannot get the levels correct. The SPDIF signal when connected direct to the interface and not the AXEFX3 is so horrible. I have turned off every setting I can find in CueFX. It sounds like I have a Metal Zone pedal in front of the amp with no Noise Gate. So bad.

Again, plugging direct into Axe with SPDIF to interface sounds clear and beautiful.

I cannot figure this out.

I think I have it figured out. CueMix FX had a weird EQ on Instrument #2 where the highs were blown out... not sure how it got there... disabled and everything sounds fine now.

Just working on levels and mix. This may seem completely elementary to you guys but when I am mixing after recording tracks. SPDIF levels in CueMix FX are overriding my levels in Cubase.

So if I turn down SPDIF in the mix in CueMix FX then I hear no guitar track at all in Cubase that was recorded with the Axe FX 3.

I am so close.

Thanks everyone for the help so far.

It sounds like you're sending the output of the wet guitar track to the wrong usb channels. That goes to the same output as all your other tracks, and from there through the 828 to your monitors. No spdif is used during playback.

Back
Top Bottom