Re-amping Tip

Axeman2011

Inspired
Not sure if this is covered anywhere already...,too lazy to check.
Thought I should share my re-amping setup discovery. I am using Cubase 5 and an M-Audio Delta 1010 rackmount.
Note: this will work with any audio interface that has 3 inputs and 3 outputs!

I connected my Ultra as follows: (can use any inputs or outputs you have, doesn't have to be same numbers...)

Guitar - front input
Ultra Output 1 stereo - input 7, 8 on Delta
Ultra Output 2 L mono - input 6 on Delta
Delta output 6 - Ultra input 1 R mono

In Cubase: create 2 input busses, 1 stereo (from Delta input 7, 8 ), 1 mono (from Delta input 6)
Create 2 output busses, 1 stereo (to Delta main out) , 1 mono (to Delta output 6)
Create 2 tracks, 1 stereo (input 7,8, Delta main outputs), 1 mono (Delta input 6, Delta output 6)
Always record with these 2 tracks for every guitar, this will allow to change the tone using the mono track later if needed....
Keep the mono track muted to turn off the live monitor, it will still record if armed in Cubase. This will prevent both signals from combining.
Just un-mute when needed to re-amp.

In Ultra make sure to put "effects loop" in first block, this sends the direct guitar signal to input 6 and to Cubase at the same time as the main stereo outs.
Its this mono direct send that will be used to "Re-Amp" if needed.

Whew, looks complicated but not really....lol
All you need to do to Re-Amp is change the "I/O" in the Ultra between "front" and "rear", no cable switching etc..

Last edited:
Thanks for the detailed post. I'll give this a go. I use similar gear and have never got my head round reamping. What routings do you use on the ultra?

"What routings do you use on the ultra"?
Funny you should ask....
Suddenly, I can't have the rear L input connected while using the front "instr" input!?!?!
It "was" working perfectly and I could choose which one I wanted in the "I/O" mode menu (Yes I know the manual says the rear will disengage the front)
Also, now no matter what input I choose in the "I/O" menu, the front always works, even if "rear" is chosen?!?! This was not the case before....
For that matter...if the rear input 1 L disconnects the front, why have the option to choose front or rear in the "I/O" menu?
Can any admin's offer any advice? Please and thanks
BTW you are very welcome dkijc, glad it "might" help!

Last edited:
The I/O menu item has never been a true input select--it only controls whether certain processing (intended for use with front input) happens to the left channel after AD conversion. Rear In 1L does (or should if working as designed) disable the front input.

UPDATE:
I removed the battery, thinking that would reset it to how it worked before....nope.
But... I have now moved the mono rear input to input 1 R , for this to work you must set "I/O - Audio - input 1 select: L+R SUM".
I can now not only re-amp but I can play over top and record it live to a stereo track in Cubase! ;)
Something definately happened, at least I can sleep now...lol

Guys, if you got an interface with a S/PDIF connection, why do you still go analog? Whenever you reamp, you have two unnecessary DA/AD conversions, which will definitly not improve your signal! And don't forget the latency of your soundcard too (let's assume the AXE hasn't got any...).

Guys, if you got an interface with a S/PDIF connection, why do you still go analog? Whenever you reamp, you have two unnecessary DA/AD conversions, which will definitly not improve your signal! And don't forget the latency of your soundcard too (let's assume the AXE hasn't got any...).
Spdif only works in 48khz. Plus, Cliff recommends going anaolog. There are problems with spdif (don't remember the details). The extra conversions are not significant with good converters. If I loop back audio 10x with Lynx and compare it with the original, I can't tell the difference.

Donttouchmyaxe
Did extensive A/B comparison with SPDIF vs Analog
ANALOG RULES!!!!! (it was even quieter wtf!?!? lol )
nuff said

Yeah the quality of the sound isn't on part with analog.
If you've got a good quality audio interface it's good as the output of the AxeFX is analog and is treated as any other analog signal. The big problem with the SPDIF output for many of us came down to clock sync and jitter. I'd rather take a chance with an extra A/D step than to have the entire take ruined because it's glitching everywhere. Plus not everyone likes having to use 48kHz for the entire project, depending on what else you've got in the track you could be looking at having to convert it which means everything else is degraded.

If you've got a good quality audio interface it's good as the output of the AxeFX is analog and is treated as any other analog signal. The big problem with the SPDIF output for many of us came down to clock sync and jitter. I'd rather take a chance with an extra A/D step than to have the entire take ruined because it's glitching everywhere. Plus not everyone likes having to use 48kHz for the entire project, depending on what else you've got in the track you could be looking at having to convert it which means everything else is degraded.

I have a very good audio interface, but to me the spdif sounds a bit Sterile or fake like it is missing something. The other issues you pointed out are legit, but those things don't matter to me since i can't get past the fact analog sounds more well organic to me. YMMV

This is pretty cool and obvious while using the normal outputs of the Axe.
But how about using spdf or USB with the AxeII???
In your scenario you transform from A/D (Guitar>Axe) then D/A (Axe output) the A/D (Axe out > Delta -or any other interface).
I want to use and stay on the D-level... except pluggig the guitar of course!

oooops... sorry... should have read the whole thread first since my issues are covered...
So when I summ up it seems to go ANALOG outs!

Last edited:
Also, not sure if SPDIF would mess with my recording settings in Cubase, 48K - 32bit float
For me the analogue outputs sound best.

First I tried the USB connection. I opened a project in Cubase5 and had everything set and was able to record BUT it was out of tune!!
I think it´s bc Cubase is set on 44.1k the Axe on 48k so next I´ll try is setting Cubase to 48k as well

Thanks for putting this up Axeman.
I've got a Delta 44 and have done some reamping the same way as you described but I noticed it was hard to drive the axe the same way I do when just playing.
What sort of Delta settings do you use for the output that returns the DI track back to the Axe?

Back
Top Bottom