RCF NX 12-SMA vs ST 12-SMA

RossE

Inspired
I've been looking to buy a couple of FRFR wedges for my AX8. Just got the old 15% off Musician's Friend coupon. They carry RCF but only the ST 12-SMA. Specs show the ST is less power, a couple of pounds heavier and does not have NEODYMIUM drivers.

Has anybody tried the ST compared to the NX?

I know this doesn't answer your question, but have you looked at Atomic or Xitone? I have a pair of Atomic CLR's and I'm in the process of converting over to the Xitone Wedge. I'm definitely preferring the Xitone to the Atomic. The support you get from Xitone will be second to none.

Yes have looked at Xitone and exchanged a couple of emails with Mick. A couple of Xitone Active wedges are definitely on my short list, but 15% off talks loudly. Consequently, just heard from Musician's Friend that they can order RCF NX 12-SMAs, but no discount on special orders. So unless someone here extols the virtues of the RCF ST 12-SMA that is probably a dead path for me. Bummer...........

I wish I could find more info about players liking the new XiTone Dayton vs Matrix amp versions.

The one main difference between the ST and NX series aside from wattage and Neo mags is the ST series are NOT coaxial and are of a traditional 2 way design hence the less expensive price tag. I'm partial to a Coax design as they respond more like a guitar speaker with respect to the way the sound comes from the front of the cab but a much wider coverage area.

I wish I could find more info about players liking the new XiTone Dayton vs Matrix amp versions.
I have Xitone stuff with both , an early active Matrix wedge, and an MBritt from right when Mick switched over to Dayton. My circumstances have not required me to come close to diming either of them so I really can't compare them at loud gig volume, but both are very good with guitar tones and program material, with the Britt?Dayton certainly having the edge in diversity of tones and application due to the increased DSP options , B;uetooth and convertible back..Neither of them lack in oomph, but the Dayton also has a line/mic input option, which may or may may not be applicable for use with Axe, but may come in handy at some point.

I've no experience on the ST series, but have had the NX12SMA for many years now, and it is a durable, road-worthy, and great sounding monitor. I recommend it highly.

Buy Xitone passive wedges and use a matrix amp or the new seymour duncan powerstage 700. if in the future you want to you have the flexibility of using both of those amps with a real guitar cabinet. You can also use a coupon to get a better deal on the powerstage 700 through guitar center or musicians friend. Plus use financing if need be. I have both amps and both of them kick A$$.

Thanks for all the input gents.

bradlake....I do really want to give a Xitone a try. Mick is out of amps and won't have any wedges for 3 weeks or so.

Rick....I do not doubt your recommendation on the NX12SMA. Many folks around here sing the same praise for it as you.

Tom Morris....I hear ya, but went to the AX8 to simplify and get rid of a rack. I'm pretty dead set on powered wedges.

I already own a QSC K10 and my bud just bought a Yamaha DXR10. Doing some comparison and testing with both now. Was hoping I might really like the DXR10.

WHat did you decide? Interested to hear feedback on the DXR10. Just sold my Friedman ASC-12 for something lighter and pondering Xitone and Yamaha. Feedback on the DXR10 is stellar in all posts I've scoured.

I've been using 2 x NX12SMA for years. Never failed, never any issues. Even the most discerning ears I know mention how good they sound at low and high volume. The thing I like the best is that all instruments(Piano, Bass, keys, guitar, male and female vocals and voices) sound good through them. It's not just a guitar speaker.

Back
Top Bottom