RCF and wedges gone past

I definitely remember the ART SLA-2 days, QSC's, Atomics. Then yea it seemed matrix amps popped up and the RCF was like all you heard about for FRFR. I have a tough time keeping it all straight! At least we can all agree the Axe FX Standard, Ultra and II sound great! These forums seem to be the biggest selling portals for gear though that's for sure. I'd never even heard of the axe fx in 2010. I started finding out about it in the G system forum. $$$$$$$$$

It feels a bit crazy knowing with near certainty that next year there will be something new and everyone will be dumping these things cheap. All along, my guitar cabs have remained as awesome as ever!

Sorry gang, I have to chime in and agree with Robboman. If you're not content with a basic, decent quality (read: good quality) unit, it is very likely you will never be satisfied with a smarter/more expensive box either. There is no magic speaker pill, lol. Just sayin'...

I'm still rockin' my RCF 310a's I bought with my Ultra back in 2009 & I'm completely satisfied. My New Year's Resolution for 2013 was to get off the GAS bandwagon & start practicing more. Funny enough my tone has improved drastically just using all the gear I already own! :mrgreen

I don't think you're going to see a big RCF "dump off" they are really really good.
I wnet back and forth a lot during the first 6 months I had my II real cabs different power amps (tube/ solid state, both) different FRFR cabs passive and active, none of them did the Trick (I almost sold my Axe and said F*ck it) and went back to my MArk IV and then I got the RCF and it's been a totally differnt ball game since.
Now I wnat to Try a CLR but I know I'm going to be selling my RCF no matter how good the CLR turns out to be. The Narrowr dispersion is something that is a big plus for me playing in my house.

I've been rocking my NX12SMA for months and love it. Looked into getting a xitone, and the CLR but then said screw it. I know the RCF rules so I went ahead and ordered an NX10SMA today to replace my crappy TSAlto115a. Can't wait to have two of these badass wedges. I would've jumped on the CLR if it was a wedge, I was kind of turned off by the fact that it doesn't come in a wedge option.

When I got my Ultra in 08 the Verve and QSC K series were not even out yet. The QSC HPR12 was the one Scott was using and recommending then. So I bought one after I couldn't get happy using the EV SXa 100 or 250 I already owned. After some trying times with that QSC, I eventually gave up and bought an ART power amp for my guitar cabs and I instantly loved it.

I've kind of been watching FRFR from the sidelines ever since, though I admit when everyone seemed to be raving about the Verve I was tempted to order one. I was never tempted by the tube-powered Atomic Reactor FR despite pretty rave reviews then. I thought that whole philosophy was flawed, and now they've gone SS :). When the QSC K came out, I heard one in my local store.. Much lighter but I thought it sounded worse than the HPR. Later all the raves came for the RCF.. Again, tempting but I sat that one out.

Now I'm considering a CLR or a Matrix to have a go at this again. It feels a bit crazy knowing with near certainty that next year there will be something new and everyone will be dumping these things cheap.

All along, my guitar cabs have remained as awesome as ever! My 1980 Marshall 1960a with original g12-65s has probably even gone up in value.

Robo my Marshall cabs have been collecting dust since going to the Rcf's Way more dynamic tone allowing the Axe to give up the goods. If you play one type of music that requires one type of speaker's tone then yeas cabs are great!

I would've jumped on the CLR if it was a wedge, I was kind of turned off by the fact that it doesn't come in a wedge option.

???
CLR-wedge.png

Sorry gang, I have to chime in and agree with Robboman. If you're not content with a basic, decent quality (read: good quality) unit, it is very likely you will never be satisfied with a smarter/more expensive box either. There is no magic speaker pill, lol. Just sayin'...

The big difference between RCF NX series and what I had before (RCF 310a, Mackie 450, Atomic FRFR and others) is that I stop thinking about what I'm doing to compensate for my FRFR vs house feed. With the NX10s if it sounds good there, it sounds good to house. So I just tweak on one thing, nx10, and I'm good. That was not the case with any previous solution. The quality difference between the current favorites and those of years past is substantial. If the CLR causes RCF prices to drop, people are going to get some crazy good deals on great FRFR.

NX series isn't a magic pill, but they completely solved problems no previous speaker had solved for me. The issue that has me on the CLR list is the fact that they have big dispersion. NX series by design is very focused and that's problematic when I try to use them to carry a stage and/or room.

I guess that depends on what "basic, decent quality" means in your context. I tried a K10 and an NX55, both of which are considered good quality by some, and was very disappointed. The CLR and Matrix solutions have set a new entry point for solutions that are reasonably neutral and detailed. Prior to that it was the mid to higher end pro gear (i.e. mid-$1K range to $5000) that were causing people to go "Ahaaa. . . now the Axe really sounds like a guitar amp".

One of the things that's been really gratifying to see over the years is the bar for what's considered a good FRFR solution moving up.

Terry.

I've been rocking my NX12SMA for months and love it. Looked into getting a xitone, and the CLR but then said screw it. I know the RCF rules so I went ahead and ordered an NX10SMA today to replace my crappy TSAlto115a. Can't wait to have two of these badass wedges. I would've jumped on the CLR if it was a wedge, I was kind of turned off by the fact that it doesn't come in a wedge option.

It comes as a wedge... powered or passive...

Atomic Amplifiers - Products

One of the things that's been really gratifying to see over the years is the bar for what's considered a good FRFR solution moving up.

+1

To me the CLR stands alone in that you get pro performance in a pro-sumer price range. That really is unique to what's out there like QSC professional, EAW, Meyer or custom boxes like Clair Bro's.

I do think its possible to chase the holy grail in regards to gear though. IMO, you may not ever get there.

I just think it's interesting to hear "how much better" it sounds now, when Cliff designs the unit and models/runs it on something less than the "new" stuff. Hey I'm not opposed to finding great gear, I'm just saying as a fellow tone-freak, it doesn't end until we end it... (I guess I'm just tired of spending thousand$ on updates but only getting ten$, or hundred$ in actual improvements.) We work hard for this stuff! =)

I just think it's interesting to hear "how much better" it sounds now, when Cliff designs the unit and models/runs it on something less than the "new" stuff. Hey I'm not opposed to finding great gear, I'm just saying as a fellow tone-freak, it doesn't end until we end it... (I guess I'm just tired of spending thousand$ on updates but only getting ten$, or hundred$ in actual improvements.) We work hard for this stuff! =)

That is a good point about doing what you can afford to do and be happy.

But someone who has developed great listening skills, can crush a great mix out of so-so monitors and a so-so listening environment. So in regards to what FAS uses for monitors, it's relevant and interesting to me, but the folks doing the listening are the key there not the gear per se.

I would def agree that there is no magic pill. I promise I can make a patch that sounds bad on a CLR. Lol. It is all about what you put into it. The RCF and others are just so audibly pleasing. Scott used the term musical. The dispersion is nut a flaw, but rather by and is disirable by some. When I first started playing live with my ultra. This is what I played through ever week: Meyer Audio Meyer MJF-212A and More Stage Monitor Speakers On Sale | Techland Houston I get WAY better tone now than back then. Is it because the wedge sucked? Far from that but I know so much more now about tweaking and where the guitar should sit now than I did then. You. Can have that wedge and still get crappy tone

But someone who has developed great listening skills, can crush a great mix out of so-so monitors and a so-so listening environment. So in regards to what FAS uses for monitors, it's relevant and interesting to me, but the folks doing the listening are the key there not the gear per se.

Also a great point!

To further agree: if one is inspired and plays better with a different monitor mix/sound, THAT is what matters! That is what will come through to themselves, their band mates and their audiences. So tweak on and be happy, my fellow tone-seekers!

I think my own search has boiled down to consistency as much or more than tone. My quest as of late is to KNOW what I sound like, and confidently take that sound everywhere I go! Just my 2 cents. =)

To me there is a threshold beyond which an FRFR solution is linear enough and detailed enough to do a "proper" job. Anything below that will cause frustration and needless work trying to compensate for FRFR issues. When you move above that line and later trade out gear you ideally are making decisions about the things that matter to you that you didn't realize when you first purchased, or perhaps your situation is now different. This might include trading off dollars for a lighter package, spending more money to get better clean headroom, or maybe a more appropriate angle of dispersion, etc.

If you choose to spend more for better sound that to me that would be more of a "want" than a "need", since you've already paid the $$ to get above that threshold. This is where GAS and/or flavour of the day can enter. ;)

Terry.

Back
Top Bottom