RC-3 hookup

shep

Inspired
I picked up an RC-3 Looper and have a few questions about how to hook up and control it the way I hope to.

I have an Ultra and a FCB1010. I hope to be able to set it up in the fx loop and have it's output go to a second powered cab, keeping it's signal separate for volume control from output 2.

I would like to be able to send control changes within a patch to change which loop is playing, and of course a loop in/out.

I have never done anything like this before, so a noob descript( 1-2-3..) is much appreciated. This would include where to put the fx loop in the patches. Thanks much - Shep

Last edited:
No I mean the RC-3. There are 99 loops, I'd like to be able to change loop #s within a patch. I still don't know how to do the basic hookup - in, out, none of this with this looper makes any sense to me. And I'm reading, trying to understand.

Last edited:
The patch I'm working with uses all 4 rows ( row 2 is my amp path and I parallel row 1 for delay, 3 for verb, and 4 for a formant i.e. talkbox. Where do I put the fx loop here? Do I have to return the signal or just send the output of the rc-3 straight to my 2nd cab? Like I said - I know nothing of fx loop use. Thanks for chiming in!

I would load a pic, but the site says invalid file, or invalid url when I try to link to dropbox.

Last edited:
When you say change loop numbers in a patch, do you mean change from loop 1 to loop 2 on the rc-3? What are you using to make that change?

Where you put the fx loop block really depends on what you want your rc-3 to "hear" and record. If you want all of your parallel effects, your fx loop block would have to go after it all, assuming they all sum together before the final column (which from the picture I see they don't).

Can you describe more how you intend to use your rc3 pedal?

Usually a loop pedal is placed in line with other gear. I know you said you want a separate speaker for separate volume control, but isn't there a dedicated volume on the pedal for the sound coming in vs the loop playing once you create it?

I would just put the axe fx output into the rc3 input and then rc3 out to the mixer or speaker and control the levels from the pedal. Lemme go look at a rc3 picture. I have an rc2 and rc300 but haven't used the rc3.

Ok just looked and it seems that there is level control for the internal rhythm machine, and then a Loop volume. I assume that there is no control of the source volume so it just passes it through.

So set your axe fx level so it doesn't clip the rc3, record a loop, then adjust the loop volume knob so it's a bit softer than your axe volume.

I thank you for your patience. Iwant to be able to turn it on to record rythym parts, turn it off when done. Lead part comes, turn it on to playback under lead. Maybe have a 2nd part recorded so I can play a different part while it plays back. Cover band use - I'll likely have alot of loops to access.

I use a fcb 1010 to change patches on the axe fx, turn on/off fx, control delay amount, etc. I'd like to set up one of the switches to turn the loop on/off and send a change to get to different loops.

There is a jack for memory shift on the rc-3, I guess I could plug a footswitch in. But that is really slow compared to getting it to change within a patch. It would only have to increment/decrement.

Ahh there it is, didn't see that pedal jack at first.

With 2 Unlatched switches, one is start/stop/erase and the other is loop # up and down. Does the FCB have outputs that can be plugged into the rc3? I think you'll have to use the Boss pedals or something similar in addition to your FCB.

If you step up to the rc300, you can assign 8 midi commands to start and stop the 3 loops and all other controls. Since its midi, you can switch loop presets when switching axe presets if you want.

As for connecting, I'd still suggest not using the axe's fx loop block and just going out from the axe to the rc3 then into the mixer.

If you do use the axe fx loop block, you have to insert it in each preset. If you want the loop tone to change when you switch axe presets (clean sound vs dirty sound) then put the block before the amp. If you want to record a clean tone, then switch space presets to a dirty tone but keep the looper clean, place the block after the amp and cab.

Similarly, many people put the looper pedal immediately after the guitar, but when you record a loop this way, when the loop is playing and you change axe presets, the loop sound will change too (clean to dirty). That's why I like the looper pedal after the axe.

I tried going out of the axe into the rc-3. Agreed, that is the best way. I guess I may have to get the 300 instead. I play and sing alot. My pedal dance now is very hard, so I'll need the fcb's help for sure.

The one thing I need to correct is when my guitar signal is allowed in for recording, I don't want the looper to sound. When I want the looper to play, I don't want the guitar inputting to it. There's phase cancellation yukky crap happening. How might I control that?

I think I figured half of it out - If I have the 300, I should be able to midi control the output volume of the looper. I may also be able to program a switch on the fcb to do A/B on a pedal so when the looper kicks in, the input from the right out of the Axe can't get to the looper. I think, I hope...

Thanks again for your help cyphering this. I was quite lost.

Anyone with any tip to help me on this- call me grateful!!

Last edited:
do you have your axe going to the speaker AND into the rc-3 then into the speaker?

or just axe into rc-3 into speaker...?

I have the axe output 2 right going to 1 speaker, axe output 2 left into rc-3 then out to 2nd speaker. But the guitar signal passes through even when the looper isn't recording or playing back.

Back
Top Bottom