Ray Gun sound on Rebel Yell?

rcm78

Experienced
So this sound was originally done on a Lexicon PCM41. It's a modulation set 100% wet and timed to the tempo of the song. I've been able to easily replicate this sound on both the TC Nova System and the Strymon Mobius using an 8 stage phaser set for 1/16th notes at 166BPM.

The problem I'm having with the FX8 is modulation effects max out at 10hz. I need 11.067hz to match the tempo of the song. Anyway to do this with the Phaser block?

Nothing huh...
I was able to get a passable sound using the ring modulator but the Mobius was perfect... Surprised the FX8 cant replicate this simple sound...

Do a search, there was discussion a few times on the subject, I think there might be a patch in the exchange.

I just found it better when playing live just to do a screaming pinch harmonic and vibrate the crap out it with the whammy bar.

It was a toy on the record and in the 80's he used the Lexicon live then recently I think he's gone back to the toy live

Do a search on old threads on here and you#ll find some really good patches with the raygun on I'm guessing you can convert to the FX8 using fractool

If not I've got one I can post

It was a toy on the record and in the 80's he used the Lexicon live then recently I think he's gone back to the toy live

Do a search on old threads on here and you#ll find some really good patches with the raygun on I'm guessing you can convert to the FX8 using fractool

If not I've got one I can post
You got it backwards. The toy was a reference but the Lexicon PCM41 was indeed used on the record.

If you use an iPhone buy the app called Bebot. It can do theramin style or synth sounds. Works great on whole lotta love. You might be able to get something close if used in combination with the fx8

I haven't been able to get the exact sound, but I have been able to approach it.

I'm using an AxeFX, but I'm pretty sure all this exists with the Ax8.
Analog Mono delay pedal. Set to 1/16 notes, ~90% feedback. 200% master feedback.
Mod 1 LFO rate set to a 'Square' LFO1 type, with a 100% depth.
By this point, you should have a maddening mess of noise.
Then to get the ray sound shape your noise using the EQ on the delay settings. I set the Low cut to ~680 and high maxed out at 20000. Tweak these values to get what you want.

Then the flutter I created by attaching an LFO to the Delay Mix parameter. Right click on Mix, then set the Edit Modifier to LFO1A. Click on Controllers, set the LFO1 rate to ~10.51 hertz and type to Square.

The problem is this makes the effect 'All or Nothing' and hard to pull out of after the solo. I stuck a fat Reverb after it, so when you disengage the delay, there is still some sound lingering after.

My guess they faded this track in and out in the studio, which is why they used the ray gun effect live.

I haven't been able to get the exact sound, but I have been able to approach it.

I'm using an AxeFX, but I'm pretty sure all this exists with the Ax8.
Analog Mono delay pedal. Set to 1/16 notes, ~90% feedback. 200% master feedback.
Mod 1 LFO rate set to a 'Square' LFO1 type, with a 100% depth.
By this point, you should have a maddening mess of noise.
Then to get the ray sound shape your noise using the EQ on the delay settings. I set the Low cut to ~680 and high maxed out at 20000. Tweak these values to get what you want.

Then the flutter I created by attaching an LFO to the Delay Mix parameter. Right click on Mix, then set the Edit Modifier to LFO1A. Click on Controllers, set the LFO1 rate to ~10.51 hertz and type to Square.

The problem is this makes the effect 'All or Nothing' and hard to pull out of after the solo. I stuck a fat Reverb after it, so when you disengage the delay, there is still some sound lingering after.

My guess they faded this track in and out in the studio, which is why they used the ray gun effect live.
Thanks, I'll give this a shot. I got very close with the ring modulator but maybe this is closer...

Back
Top Bottom