RATT - Lay it Down tone matchy poo.

Not sure why it was missing the cab, it's loaded a cab each time I've imported the preset. It shows the name a LAY IT DOWN CAB in location S001 (scratchpad)

got it to work. it was missing a cab. sounds incredible
The preset was a tone match so really, it is not going to work on the AX8 unless someone converts the preset and also uploads an IR of the tone match to be used as the cab in the preset since the AX8 has no tone match block.

Not sure why it was missing the cab, it's loaded a cab each time I've imported the preset. It shows the name a LAY IT DOWN CAB in location S001 (scratchpad)
Mine says "empty" for cab, but when I load one in it works and sounds great. What cab are you using? I am playing around with a variety of them and it sounds really good with a lot of combinations

The preset was a tone match so really, it is not going to work on the AX8 unless someone converts the preset and also uploads an IR of the tone match to be used as the cab in the preset since the AX8 has no tone match block.
I am using a patch someone converted from a tone match on the Axe FXII. So far it sounds amazing on my AX8 -- but I have to load a cab into the patch to get it to work

@cnaufel posted a converted AX8 file in comment #44, it's what I've been using while trying to help them figure it out.

@cnaufel posted a converted AX8 file in comment #44, it's what I've been using while trying to help them figure it out.
I am using a patch someone converted from a tone match on the Axe FXII. So far it sounds amazing on my AX8 -- but I have to load a cab into the patch to get it to work
Noobz:
You are using the amp settings without the tone matching. A tone match captures the frequency response of the original tone which INCLUDES THE CAB sound of the original recording. So when converting a preset to the AX8 that includes tone matching you have to upload *2* files:

- The preset
- A cabinet IR.

You are playing with HALF the preset and some random cab because whoever posted the converted preset did not convert the cab and all you have are the amp settings and FX minus the cab.
Resources:
https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Tone_Match_block

Ah, got it! Thank you. That's helpful and good to know. It gets me close enough to tweak. So I would need to know the original IR and just plug that in, right? Sorry for all the newbie questions. Just got my AX8 two weeks ago. Still learning!
So is this the case with all converted tone matches to the AX8?

You lose all the tonematch data when it is converted. The AX8 does not have a tonematch block, so in order to use a tonematch, it's data has to be exported as a cab IR from an Axe II and then separately loaded into a cab block as a cab IR in the AX8. Converting the patch simply ignores any features the AX8 can't handle, like the tonematch block. Without loading the specific IR cab created from the tonematch, you are getting the normal, non-tonematched tone instead.

AX8 presets do not contain any cab or IR data, only a reference or pointer to which cab slot was selected in the cab block when it was saved. If that specific cab slot has a different cab IR saved on your particular AX8, the sound will be different. You have to import and select the correct cab IR manually. Even factory cabs can differ if the preset was created on a different firmware version.

That’s very helpful, thank you! Glad to know it’s not impossible to get close to the patch. I’ll find out what can was used and experiment. Thank you!
You lose all the tonematch data when it is converted. The AX8 does not have a tonematch block, so in order to use a tonematch, it's data has to be exported as a cab IR from an Axe II and then separately loaded into a cab block as a cab IR in the AX8. Converting the patch simply ignores any features the AX8 can't handle, like the tonematch block. Without loading the specific IR cab created from the tonematch, you are getting the normal, non-tonematched tone instead.

AX8 presets do not contain any cab or IR data, only a reference or pointer to which cab slot was selected in the cab block when it was saved. If that specific cab slot has a different cab IR saved on your particular AX8, the sound will be different. You have to import and select the correct cab IR manually. Even factory cabs can differ if the preset was created on a different firmware version.

Noobz:
You are using the amp settings without the tone matching. A tone match captures the frequency response of the original tone which INCLUDES THE CAB sound of the original recording. So when converting a preset to the AX8 that includes tone matching you have to upload *2* files:

- The preset
- A cabinet IR.

You are playing with HALF the preset and some random cab because whoever posted the converted preset did not convert the cab and all you have are the amp settings and FX minus the cab.
Resources:
https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Tone_Match_block

When I imported the preset, it came as a Preset-Cab Bundle as it should have been. I went a step further and made sure the tone I got with the preset was identical to the tone of the clip posted by the OP before making any comments.

RATT Preset.PNG

Thanks for posting. I’m finding this all helpful. I love the patch and have been playing it all day. I didn’t think to check the scratchpad. I will now. Thanks

I've got the preset and tone match somewhere. I'll try to find some time tomorrow to convert to a cab and post it here for the AX8 peeps. Is the OP still around? Calling @danhazer everyone loves your preset

Learning a ton here just by reading this thread... just got my ax8 a few weeks ago... so i'm trying to learn as much as i can. thanks for that great sounding patch...

i guess i'll have to find a cab that fits best. From an interview he used Marshall cabs with 25 watt greenback Celestions....

I found this little tidbit in an interview with Warren about his gear

What amps do you use in your live rig?

Most of the time I use one head and have the other as a backup. I used Diezels when we toured in 2007, last year it was Soldanos, this year who knows. I usually Marshall cabs live [with 25w greenback Celestions].

Back
Top Bottom