rate the amps please

I just want to know how well you rate the amplifiers on the axe fx

especially the high gain heads like the MESA,ENGL,BONGER, and PEAVY

obviously 0 being not at all and 10 being your ears wouldnt be able to tell the difference if you had a blind fold on

im very interested

I don't compare the Axe to real amps, I just look for the most usable & satisfying tones I can find. And I find the best way to do that is to not get too tied into specific amps, and keep an open mind and experiment with all the amps. I (re) learned this recently when I found that my favorite amp wasn't sounding good in 9.02. Nothing I did could get it back to the 9.00 sound, but when I finally gave the other amps an honest chance, I found a few that sound even better.

thricegod1288 said:

It's really hard to find a BONGER to compare to. :D

I agree with not getting hung up trying to exactly replicate one amp. If the question is "I like the sound of the guitars on recording X. Can the Axe-Fx get close to that?" For just about any 'X' the answer will be yes. The Axe model may be the same that was used on the recording, it may be different, or it may be some combination of amps.

I've been able to replicate my Plexi 1987 reissue, Hiwatt 504 and 5150 so that they are basically indistinguishable. In fact, the Axe-fx through the Atomic FR sounds better to me. Do amp settings match up perfectly - close but not exactly. As many people say here, "use your ears not your eyes."

kruzty said:
thricegod1288 said:

I agree with not getting hung up trying to exactly replicate one amp. If the question is "I like the sound of the guitars on recording X. Can the Axe-Fx get close to that?" For just about any 'X' the answer will be yes. The Axe model may be the same that was used on the recording, it may be different, or it may be some combination of amps.

I knew a guy that had a "BONGER", but every time he turned it on there was this strange smoke that started coming out of it. :?

For high gain (and that's the only sounds I've tried to make), here's my faves. I'm comparing them against the real amps, because I've never played any of these amps.

Scale 1-10:
1) Mesa Mark IV copy: 10
2) Bogner XTC: 9.5
3) Diezel: 9.5
4) Engl: 9.0
5) Uberschall 8.5
6) VHT 8

wezx said:
kruzty said:
thricegod1288 said:

I knew a guy that had a "BONGER", but every time he turned it on there was this strange smoke that started coming out of it. :?

Ya know this isnt the first time i've ever seen this on a forum

"Ya know this isnt the first time i've ever seen this on a forum"

Do you mean a little good-natured humor? :lol:

It's not easy to rate. What is 10? Or 100%

If a Pod is 90% then the Axefx is 98%
If a Pod is 10% then the AxeFx is 50%

This all leads to nothing - the only way is to try one yourself.
All guitar players trying my Ultra were shocked how great it sounds when compared to other modellers. If you compare a recorded amp with the AxeFx then in some cases do I pefer the AxeFx over the recorded real amp - it's not easy to find the sweet spot, amp position and so on by using a real amp.
The AxeFx high gain amps are great IMHO - to get the "amp in the room sound" is another story.
Some say it's working for them (by using far field IR's) others say there is way to improvement.
This will always be the case since taste, hearing ... is different.
The great thing about the Axe - it has improved a lot during the firmware upgrades - and will surely improve in the future.

Mark series - 7.8 doesn't have dual gain controls like real one, nor the eq

Recto- 9.0 very very close. not quite as liquid, but it really is scary good.

JMP-1 - 9.5 To my ears this model is SPOT ON. Just nails a deftones sound.

uberschall - 9 Sounds alot like the real one to my ears, especially the leads.

xtacy - 9 in version 9.0, really captures the squishy vibe

Vht- 8.5 Once again doesn't have the dual gain controls of the real one, pretty hard model to dial in. Had the real one, this has similar faults and advantages, not as touch sensetive as real one tho.

~mx~

Back
Top Bottom