Random Guitar Player List

Some of the most beautiful jazz playing, note bending & great raking examples by Roy Buchanan - Misty:

Danny Gatton - typical night at Gallaghers where I used to see him [see 2:06]:

No hybrid picking to see here. Move along.

Last edited:
Making headway, list at 391 players; Daijiro Nakagawa's two links there are not working for me in the U.S.

Odd, as I'm here in the USA as well. If you can find some good videos by the band Uchu Conbini that will play internationally (or at least here in the USA), that might give you another sense of the context where I found him. The band does have a Facebook page here:

http://www.facebook.com/uchuuconbini/

Enjoying a lot of the other videos on this thread too (as I'm having time to catch up with them).

Take care and have a great weekend,

Alan

Fusion (fusion-funk?) guitarist Wayne Krantz:

Jimmy Herring:
(playing some Page)

(I know, at 1:23 his guitar begins to sound a little like a blues harp):

Last edited:
Mateus Schaffer - broad 'style coverage':

(first tune is a great listen if you appreciate those simply amazing later Beatles music gems)

Some other styles:

Last edited:
I sincerely love this - its so musical. (I say 'musical' meaning it in the fullest sense). Bass player's improv is sensationally 'on' and 'original' as well.
bass player is Miroslav Vitous, the original bass player in Weather Report before Jaco. He is indeed an ORIGINAL, and a music software developer as well. (Miroslav PhilharmoniK).

bass player is Miroslav Vitous, the original bass player in Weather Report before Jaco. He is indeed an ORIGINAL, and a music software developer as well. (Miroslav PhilharmoniK).
No way, did not know that! I've done a little software work and respect musicians who manage to still play, huge time suck! Well, his being a founding Weather Report member helps explain why he's so damn good, dud!

Dave Meniketti (Y&T):

A bit like Gary Moore's style, also singing, warm, at times soaring, heartfelt, and never abrasive.

Sungha Jung:

original and more sound than I expect from a single pass through a guitar mike. Despite the fact that even his earliest videos low budge videos capture that Sungha Jung sound.

(White Lion - When The Children Cry):

The world would not be the same without a chicken bucket head:

Or a guitar jazz theory-master jazz economy guru (hey, kind of the anti-Meola?)

Nearly but not entirely funkstrated:

(how to tune a guitar to be able to play any mid voicing piano chords)

(Is Frank's tone a smooth jazz-influenced tone. Frankly I'm amazed players can produce music hearing that tone in response to their fingers, but they do. Maybe the analogy is the stigma of being born in barns versus born in elevators. Would they choose this tone with full benefit of an Axe FX; smooth jazz players still preferring, to my ears. If I had to admit personal tastes, to me in comparison to Hendrix, Page, Clapton, and Moore, these are lifeless tones that are squeezed and pressed with a dough roller, but I'm being too opinionated and too-little opiated... Or guitar tone that sounds like it was shrink wrapped? On the other side of the opposing paradigms, some metal teachers seem satisfied with shrapnel and cheese grater-shredded tone. To be honest, I am in love with the life-filled water and organic compost of the non-smooth-jazz world.

Last edited:
Steve Hillage:

(Glissando Guitar)
Master Builder (with Bill Bruford) (Did Hillage write all the master builder riff?

Todd Rundgren:

Last edited:
Steve Hunter - Dick Wagner:
Bit of Alman Bros feel in the air?

Todd Rundgren:

[06:40 vocal melody & guitar solo]

(pyramid climb solo):

(Born to Synthesize vocal):

(Momentary tangent hear; some of that Todd Rungren stuff is downright positive; what to do, what to do... (well, why not remain positive?, Oh yeah cuz they play the puppet show at me 24/7)
Some of the more effective creepy guitar composing of the early heavy rock era:
Glenn Buxton, Michael Bruce

Bloodrock - D.O.A.
Lee Pickens:
(The motivation for writing this song was explained in 2005 by guitarist Lee Pickens. “When I was 17, I wanted to be an airline pilot,” Pickens said. “I had just gotten out of this airplane with a friend of mine, at this little airport, and I watched him take off. He went about 200 feet in the air, rolled and crashed.” The band decided to write a song around the incident and include it on their second album.)

Dust, From A Dry Camel
(The accompanying art of this video is IMHO stellar, thank you arasob2)

Of course, every unforgettable riff Mr. Tony Iommi created:
But this one is a start:

Last edited:
John "Sean" Byrne:
The Count Five - Psychotic Reaction (Okay, tell me the Doors didn't owe one).

Armageddon
(Buzzard) (gotta like the riff)

(listen for (including the breakdown at the end - a lot of interesting influences)

Randy Rhoads:
(The guitar composition of Ode To Mother Nature - what would those wandering in the 16th & 17th centuries have said about this work, with the exception of maybe John Dee?)

Last edited:
One of my earliest influences is Akira Takasaki. He had unique tapping skills, some neoclassical stuff before Yngwie. His solo album Tusk of Jaguar was a huge inspiration and had some fusion elements. Also worth checking out is their album Disillusion, which was their first lbum to feature any English lyrics

This is the track Macula from Tusk. I felt it had a real Brian May vibe and really evoked a feeling of being in flight/space

This is more recent material performed live..

Silver Koulouris (Anargyros Koulouris)
(The Four Horsemen)
Aphrodites Child:

Ken Williams:

Jack Bruce (bassist/composer/singer - Eric Clapton - guitar lead & FX - Pete Brown - lyrics)
White Room:

Last edited:
AC/DC inspired but composing riffs/leads of protection and justice?.

Fernando von Arb:
(Krokus, Screaming In The Night)

Amazing that Page can take such a potentially melancholy sounding set of riffs and complete them to raise a listener's mood, with the Jones, Plant, Bonham Zeppelin chemistry no doubt, produce such an overwhelmingly uplifting groove [well, John Paul Jones did factor hugely in this, as in most of their work, did he not?).
John Paul Jones, Jimmy Page:
(No Quarter)

Last edited:
Billy White (I believe he played in Dokken for a bit after George left and before John Levin)

He's now playing Flamenco/World Music

Back
Top Bottom