Raezers Edge???

geetarded

My first post to this awesome forum, thanks in advance for your help!

Has anyone tried, or have any thoughts about using a Raezer's Edge cab--the extended range 12" coaxial--or anything similar, as an FRFR cab? If you're not familiar with it, it's an Eminance coaxial 12" 150w speaker in a Thiele type cab with an x-over. Designed (and sounds great for) a FR jazz guitar tone, but also sounds great with FR stuff like vocals and acoustic guitar.

I guess the issue is would it would be beefy enough to keep up with, say, the stage level of a med to hard hitting drummer? (As I type this it's already not sounding good!)

I guess it boils down to cone tweeter vs. compression driver??!!

Last edited:
I just had a look at their web site. From what I could tell from the ad copy, I suspect they're using a whizzer cone on a 12" driver (they say it's "one 12-inch speaker with tweeter"). If that's the case, it would have a wider frequency response than a standard 12" guitar speaker, but it wouldn't be full range, and it would fall far short of flat response.

Jazz guitar tones can be wonderfully sweet, but they're perhaps the least demanding of all guitar tones in terms of bandwidth, and not necessarily a good indicator of how other tones would sound.

Will it keep up with a hard-hitting drummer? They don't publish sensitivity specs, so it's hard to know for sure, but if they're on the level about the 400-watt power handling, there's a pretty good chance it will.

Back
Top Bottom