Rack Mounting Question

4406cuda

Inspired
Does the axe fx 3 take up 2 spaces?

What size rack would you get if mounting it in a rack with a Fryette power station? Should I be concerned about the heat generated from the units?

The Axe III is 3 spaces. I'm not familiar with the Fryette so I can't comment on that.

Edit: a couple of quotes from the manual:
Maintain unobstructed air space behind and above the unit to allow for proper ventilation and cooling.
This product should be located away from heat sources such as radiators, heat registers, or other products that produce heat.
RUNNING HOT
1. Make sure that the unit has adequate ventilation.

https://www.fryette.com/content/Power_Station2_Manual_5a_FINAL_3-2018.pdf

Last edited:
Axe III is 3RU. I don't have a Fryette. This is what it says in their manual:

This product should be located away from heat sources such as radiators, heat registers, or other products that produce heat.​

Since it probably is generating more heat than usual, I would probably make sure you don't wall it in. It looks to me like it has vents on all sides. I'd probably leave an RU for airflow.

Rack sizes should be listed in the specs on each manufacturer's site. As suggested, leaving 1U for airflow is probably wise.

So I looked at the Power Station specs, It has 3 tubes in it so it will generate some heat for sure and weights around 15lbs . Also it is not rack mount ready as is. You would need to mount it to a shelf or buy rack mount kit - I saw one for ~$90 (ouch).

So how long will the stuff be on at any one time ??? A couple of hours ? All night ? 24/7?

The smallest Rack would be a 4 space - that leaves very little space(1/8 in) between the units and 1/2 inch on the top and bottom. I would only use this IF the units would be used for no more than a couple of hours at a time. Since Heat rises I would put the Axe Fx under the Power station

Next option is a 6 space rack - I would put the AxeFx on the bottom 3 spaces - leave a space - then the power station and leave a space on top as well. This will give plenty of air flow and the units can be left on for long periods of time. You can also add a wireless unit or tuner on top of the Axe Fxe if you would like - since they are not too deep it would not change the heat dissipation that much.

One final thought.... why not put the Power Station on TOP of the rack ? No issues with heat and your rack will not weight a ton :) but you will have an additional thing to carry in/out. By the way this is how the product is used in the photos on Fryettes web site.

Hope this helps .....

I already have the power station racked in a 3 space rack. It takes up 2 spaces.

thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 24
Back
Top Bottom