Rack Mounting Protection

Keg8605

Power User
Is there anything anyone uses in their racks to protect the Axe from scratches and rack rash? Almost like covering the top, bottom with a thin electrical tape or something? The mounting part, I figure large rubber/nylon washers are best. Just looking for ideas. Thanks

I only use dual nylon washers, one on the outside and one behind the rack ear. After that I make sure the item going above it is free of things that can scratch it. It helps if you put things in the rack from bottom to top so you sort of lower them into position instead of sliding them in.

Also consider this - anything sharp enough to scratch the finish will likely tear through any material thin enough to fit in between two rack units. Such material can also act as an insulator and diminish radiant cooling.

Something I've used in the past was rubber shelf liner. Protects the tops and bottoms, and provides a grip to keep the units locked tight on top of the rack screws. Available at any Target/Meijers/Walmart/etc store...

Something I've used in the past was rubber shelf liner. Protects the tops and bottoms, and provides a grip to keep the units locked tight on top of the rack screws. Available at any Target/Meijers/Walmart/etc store...
That's a good idea.

Reactions: svl
Such material can also act as an insulator and diminish radiant cooling.
My biggest concern with sticking things in the rack with it right here. Id rather not risk that for scratch protection on a unit I don't see myself getting rid of anytime soon yknow

Plastic washers which can be found from any good music store, electrical tape, peel and stick shelf paper or peel and stick vinyl, as well as thin peel and stick foam insulation like for door jams etc. I alsh have used the peel and stick fuzzy tabs for under furniture to keep it from scratching the floor. Joe

I use thin foam usually....the kind that comes inside a box you are unpacking for an electronic product.
Something like what a computer monitor is wrapped in when you open it.
I usually tape it to the rack above and below my Axe (if space allows).
I just took my rack apart after having the Axe racked for a number of years (whenever the Axe 2 came out)....and there were no scratches. It's been gigged almost every weekend since I bought it (so it's been bouncing around with that foam protection)....no overheating issues ever.

One random thing I will say though is - when I un-racked my Axe (after it being the same case for years) my rack ears were VERY loose.
Each rack ear is held on with 3 screws. On one side, 2 screws were missing (luckily I found them because they fell out of the case at some point, and not knowing what they were, I just saved them...I'm a pack rat). I never imagined they were my rack ear screws. I checked the other side (which had all 3 screws in place), and they were all very loose.
So the only report I have is that after years of gigging, the rack ear screws can vibrate loose.....so good maintenance tip is to check them every once in a while.

So the only report I have is that after years of gigging, the rack ear screws can vibrate loose.....so good maintenance tip is to check them every once in a while.
Eh, just put some blue Loctite on 'em and they'll never vibrate loose.

like all the suggestions. I picked up some thin black foam/rubber from home depot and for at least not elec. taped it down and also taped over the front edge and ears. Not the prettiest but for my temp racking its going to work. Its not that I won't be keeping an axe its just I upgraded and its nicer to sell them when they're in scratch free condition even if its a few years down the line.

Get the dual plastic washers that fit in each other, and use the little rubber feet pads on the top/bot of unit to give buffer room and not let it bounce and scratch whatever is under it.

Eh, just put some blue Loctite on 'em and they'll never vibrate loose.

Sure, that's a solution.
But do you do that to all of your rack products when you buy them? I guessing most people (likely zero) do that with a new piece of gear, because who would ever have expected them to vibrate loose after coming from the factory.
Just a warning to folks.....it's worth checking them after a period of use.

Back
Top Bottom