Rack mountable speakers

philclcc

Hi,
When playing my axe-fx at church I always go direct to the PA system, I have a headphone amp for playing with at home but don't like having earphones in all the time...
I was thinking about getting some rack mountable speakers (preferably 1U and cheap) which could sit in the rack and that I could use at home for when I'm practising etc, I'd still use earphones for tweaking patches but if I'm running through a song or practising scales, I don't really want to have my earphones in and am not too fussed about the quality of the sound... I don't have a dedicated practise space and I have two young children so have to put all my stuff away when I'm not practising which is why I'm not getting PA speakers or similar...

Has anybody got any experience with something like this or suggestions?

Thanks

Phil

Interesting idea. I checked and they're all pretty expensive. Found one 2U for $129, and a 1U for close to $400.

I'd think regardless of rackmount speakers, you'd need some sort of interface like a cheap mixer or something. Don't believe anything like that would be able to go directly from AXE to the speakers.

Alternatives maybe?:

-You could get the small mixer ($50 Behringer), and run some PC speakers out of it. Easily under $100.
-There are some pretty reasonable powered Monitors that you can on the cheap too.

Yeah, I've found a few but they're all very expensive. Now i'm thinking of some PC speakers that are narrow enough to fit in my 2U space on their sides. Would the axe be able to go straight into some powered PC speakers?

How about a pair of mini-marshall stack belt amps :) they would look :cool: and fit in your pockets (or small bag) or two fender mini-twins . Could use some mp3 external add-on speakers
they are cheap. But Marshall's would be :twisted:

So I went for a pair of Creative Gigaworks T20 Series II PC Speakers for £60.
Dimensions are almost perfect for a 2U rack space lay on their side, so hopefully they'll be perfect.

They also have 2 inputs (one of which is on the front) so I can have the axe permanently plugged in, then plug my laptop in the front for practise time, and a headphone socket so I can ditch my headphone amp and use these... sounds almost too good to be true!

Back
Top Bottom