R.I.P. Leon Russell

NY Guitarist

Power User
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/la-et-ms-leon-russell-obit-20161113-story.html
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/la-et-ms-leon-russell-obit-20161113-story.html
LA Times: "Leon Russell, instantly recognizable for his long white mane and a rich, hearty voice that drifted between country and soul, died Saturday in Nashville. He was 74.

Russell was lauded for swampy rockers such as "Delta Lady" and "Roll Away the Stone" as well as heart-rending ballads such as the oft-recorded "A Song for You" and "Superstar," which became a No. 2 hit for the Carpenters in 1971.

Though a cause of death was not revealed, Russell had heart bypass surgery in July. His passing was announced in a Facebook posting attributed to his wife, Jan Bridges.

“We thank everyone for their thoughts and prayers during this very, very difficult time,” read an emailed statement from Bridges. “My husband passed in his sleep in our Nashville home. He was recovering from heart surgery in July and looked forward to getting back on the road in January. We appreciate everyone’s love and support.”

Russell last performed July 10 in Nashville. "

Great performer and class act. One of the greatest session musicians of all time. He will be sorely missed.

RIP Leon.

Edit: I had pretty good seats to see Leon on 8/28/72 at the Long Beach Arena in Southern California. Was a fantastic show. He later released the concert as a 3 disk live LP. I remembered stapling the ticket stub to the album jacket so I had to pull it out. Check out those outrageous ticket prices for 37th row tickets. :eek:

yCcQugU.jpg

iVw6uU4.jpg

Last edited:
"...I love you in a place where there's no space or time...."

I saw these words yesterday scrawled on a wall at a bar in Austin ..It moved me greatly and I didn't know why....other than the fact that I've performed Leon's A Song For You for many years....now I do...

Great performer and class act. One of the greatest session musicians of all time. He will be sorely missed.

RIP Leon.

Edit: I had pretty good seats to see Leon on 8/28/72 at the Long Beach Arena in Southern California. Was a fantastic show. He later released the concert as a 3 disk live LP. I remembered stapling the ticket stub to the album jacket so I had to pull it out. Check out those outrageous ticket prices for 37th row tickets. :eek:

yCcQugU.jpg

iVw6uU4.jpg
I saw the same tour in Chicago, he had the big band that included Claudia Linnear on bckround vocals, who remains to this day the most striking and sexual presence I've seen on a rock stage. Leon always worked with Great folk.

I saw the same tour in Chicago, he had the big band that included Claudia Linnear on bckround vocals, who remains to this day the most striking and sexual presence I've seen on a rock stage. Leon always worked with Great folk.

My memory of those days is a little fuzzy :) but I do remember he had included the Rev. Patrick Henderson (who played a 2nd grand piano on the stage) along with his gospel singers. It really was an incredible show. I feel blessed to have been there.

Back
Top Bottom