Quilter ToneBlock 200?

Bump! Anyone?

For those that don't like clicking links.. this is a 200 watt SS mono guitar power amp for $399. Small and light @ 4 lbs. You could mount one on a pedalboard, or mount two (for stereo) in a 2U rackspace.

It's not a flat FR PA amp, it's designed to sound 'tube' and has gain \ MV controls. So not ideal for pure FRFR, but for anyone using the Axe-Fx into real guitar cabs it could be a good option. I wonder how it would hold up against.. say.. the Retro-Channel poweramp?

It seems to be getting great reviews in the non-Axe-Fx parts of the guitarsphere.. here's one:

Quilter Tone Block 200 | Tone Report

Not much interest here.. but since I have a non-Axe-Fx use in mind, I took a chance and ordered one of these guys. Fedex says it's delivered today.

I will be testing it with the Axe as well when I get a chance. From what I've read, the first half of the gain control is 'flat' (no guitar amp-ish breakup or distortion), and the center of the Contour control is also 'flat', as in EQ. So, I'm gonna see just how flat it is, and A\B it against a channel on my Matrix GT1000FX.

I like the idea of a small, light power amp that can be transparent\flat when you want it to be, but can also sound like a tube amp with a bit of crunch when you want. I'll know how well it accomplishes each goal... soon.

toneblock200web.png

Last edited:
I've been eyeing the Quilter Aviator 2x10 as my "grab and go" amp for small gigs. It gets great reviews and is both powerful and lightweight. As a result of switching to the Fractal rig, I'm planning to sell my Boogie Lonestar (and its custom flight case!) plus my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. The Quilter would give me a nice alternative to the "big rig", especially for those times when I'm playing in a trio setting.

OK, here's a quick review after messing around for an hour or so.

1). Ordered at quilterlabs.com, was shipped 1 hr later with tracking# provided. FAST!
2). Nicely packed with manuals, stickers, speaker and power cords.
3). It's small, light and seems sturdy as hell. You could easily mount it on a pedalboard and place a couple other pedals on top with no fear of stomping them hard.
4). Connectors: 1/4" in and speaker outs, the input is meant to plug the guitar straight in. No FX loop. So, for the Axe-Fx portion of my testing I ran 1/4" out2 into the front panel, and had to keep the Axe out2 knob very low to get closer to guitar level signal. I didn't try the XLR direct out.
5). GOBS of power. it must be very conservative 200 watts, it seems at least as powerful as one channel of the Matrix.
4). The sound:

* It's NOT flat, at all. Turns out this is a guitar amp, through and through. Even on the supposed flattest settings. Not that there's much to set, you get a gain knob and a 'contour' (single knob EQ). The gain knob is interesting in that turning up through the first half of the taper there is no added distortion at all, only more volume, but the second half adds 'gain'.

* A\B against the Matrix. It sounds NOTHING like the Matrix. Presets don't translate at all, at every 'contour' setting there is too much high-end and otherwise just sounds weird straight in. Like what you'd expect plugging the Axe straight into the instrument input of any guitar amp.. SS presets won't work without tweaking.

* I was able to get some pretty great sounds with some heavy editing in the amp block. But most amps sounded best when turning the Axe supply sag all the way off (defeating AXE poweramp modelling completely).

So as far as Axe-Fx use goes, I'd say most users should pass on this. If you used it, you would definitely need to design all your presets around it's coloration, it has a lot.

It's really designed to be a very small, simple guitar head and platform for a pedal-fronted rig.

Which fortunately is what I mainly bought it for. I still have an old-school pedalboard so on occasion I use that with one of my old Fender combos. I wanted something to power cabs so I could try different cabs in place of the combo amps (without buying a big tube head). For that purpose, this thing works and sounds great! Sounds very amp like, immediately! That 'contour' control is actually very cool, it seems to go from Fender to Plexi character. When you push the gain past the 'guitar' mark, it starts to break up and when maxed out it gets into medium crunch\cranked vintage Plexi sort of gain territory. No high gain or metal. I used to always set my (single-channel) Fenders to a good round clean with just a touch of breakup, and then let pedals do the rest. I find this works very much the same, I could gig with it for sure. Does it sound as good as the Axe\Matrix with Fender presets all dialed in? No, not nearly. The Axe has spoiled me. But still, this might be the best all-analog, non-modelling, SS guitar amp I've heard. It would be nice if it had more EQ controls, but an EQ pedal on the board would address that. For $400 it's hard to go too far wrong.

Last note.. ALL gear with standard detachable AC power cord should have this locking cord connection. Greatness.

6VzfecF.jpg

ZigqaD9.jpg

I jammed with drummer and bassist last night with this being the only object in between my pedals and my Port City 2x12. It sounded great! Definitely could gig with this setup, for scenarios where the Axe-Fx is overkill. I wouldn't say it sounded better than my best Fender (modded tweed Bassman RI), but possibly better than my 2nd best Fender (early SF Pro-Reverb). This Quilter definitely sounds better than most clean tube amps I've heard over the years.

I am very interested in this unit but a lil stand off-ish because I tried the ISP Stealth which is the same idea. My 4x12 cabs are 16 ohm so I couldn't get to the full power from it. At lower volume it sounded fantastic but at gig volume (some gigs we use stage volume for guitars) there was no headroom. My clean tones weren't clean and my gain tones weren't clear. I will say that when the amp started to distort it did it in a very musical way though.

So what I am curious about is how would the toneblock work running the A2 into a 16ohm 4x12 cab?

I am very interested in this unit but a lil stand off-ish because I tried the ISP Stealth which is the same idea. My 4x12 cabs are 16 ohm so I couldn't get to the full power from it. At lower volume it sounded fantastic but at gig volume (some gigs we use stage volume for guitars) there was no headroom. My clean tones weren't clean and my gain tones weren't clear. I will say that when the amp started to distort it did it in a very musical way though.

So what I am curious about is how would the toneblock work running the A2 into a 16ohm 4x12 cab?
You could always rewire your 16 ohm cab to 4 ohms, thus maintaining the high headroom of the amp.

Here is a demo I did for the Quilter Tone Block 200. I think it will shed some light on its capabilities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myFeoXKzIes

Great video!

BTW, I just re-read my 9-month old review and comments above and I'm happy to say I stand by them 100% today. It's a great little amp. I have it on a pedalboard with some drive stomps and a Zoom CD-R, so it's a whole rig in a pedalboard case. I just run a speaker cable to a cab and play. It's a great no-nonsense grab-and-go live rig.

I still don't like it with the Axe-Fx though. I wish someone (say, Matrix) would make a small but powerful flat SS power amp in a box designed to mount on a pedalboard. Then my future grab-n-go rig could be AX8 + this in a briefcase, speaker cable out to guitar cab.

IMO, the TB200 simply doesn't sound good behind an A2 amp model. Again - it's a "guitar amp", through and through. Not to be thought of as a power amp.

That ISP Stealth is just the form factor I'd want for future AX8 rig, but I don't dig it's laptop-style external power supply and I'd want FLAT FR SS power. Does that exist?

Back
Top Bottom