Quick S/PDIF Connection Question

ToTheAtom

Sorry to bring this up here, but I'd love to get a straight answer from someone.

I'm downgrading from a XL+ to an AX8, which I ordered today. Since I was using the XL+ as my PC's audio interface, I also ordered a RME Babyface Pro. Thus, I intend for my signal chain to be the AX8 into the RME into the PC/DAW.

The Babyface Pro has an ADAT/SPDIF in, but it's a different connector than what's on the back of the AX8. I emailed Fractal about it this afternoon and received this reply, which only confused me more:

"SPDIF and ADAT are two different animals. The AX8 does not have an ADAT output. You will be more than fine using the XLR or 1/4 Out into the RME."

I'm assuming the answer is pretty simple and I'm simply being dense. Just want to verify that I can indeed send my signal from my AX8's S/PDIF output into the appropriate input on the RME? And, if so, EXACTLY which cable should I be purchasing to make this happen?

Many thanks!

According to the website the RME Babyface Pro has a TOSLink optical in and out connection. This is physical connection type not directly compatible with any Fractal product including the AX8. You will need a SPDIF coaxial to TOSLink convert to connect the SPDIF out from the AX8 to the TOSLink input on the RME Babyface Pro; something like this (note: I have no experience with that specific converter and cannot speak to its quality I provide it merely as an example).

Of course, as Fractal support intimated, you'll be just fine running the analog output of the AX8 into the analog input of the Babyface. This works remarkably well too and doesn't involve physical format converters.

Ouch. Guess I should have realized this before ordering the expensive equipment earlier today...

Thanks very much for your insight. It makes sense now. One more question for you, if I may:

Which route would you recommend? If I get the converter, it requires an additional electrical outlet and I'm concerned about potential interference or degradation of the signal (though perhaps this is completely unfounded). If I just stick with the analog connection, that would essentially mean that I would have to unplug and replug the cables everytime I want to plug a mic in, for example. Both options have downsides. Would be curious to hear your recommendation.

For what it may or may not be worth to you, in case you're considering options, the Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 directly connects with the AX8 via SPDIF.

I would seriously consider retruning the RME, and getting something else.

Why did you choose the RME in the first place?

If it's the form factor, then the closest things I could find with s/pdif inupt are
* Arturia AudioFuse: less expensive, more extensive I/O, doesn't look as sleek though...
* Steinberg UR28M: a lot less expensive, more extensive I/O, but a lot wider
These both also have two sets of headphone outputs, which I find very useful when working with e.g. a singer

For a more traditional form factor, there are plenty of options available. E.g. the Scarlett mentioned above.
If for some reason you are a big fan of RME, then e.g. the Fireface UC could work for you. But there are plenty of less expensive alternatives available too.

Back
Top Bottom