Quick Question Regarding Hi & Low Cut Throughout The Chain

Davus PG

Inspired
Apologies if this has been answered before but if I'm applying my low & hi cuts (80Hz & 7500Hz) in the cab block, then is applying them anywhere else in the chain such as in filter & eq blocks a waste of time?

I'm guessing so, but wanted to check

It is always preferred to cut frequencies than to add them later, as the latter tends to sound artificial.

If the chain didn't have non-linear components (esp. amp, drive, compressor), it wouldn't matter (or not matter hugely) where you trim low/high. But where cuts happen can make a huge difference to distortion and tone. For example no low cut into an amp/drive can result in flubby/farty compressed distortion that can't be dialed out per se.

Last edited:
If the slope of an EQ is gentle enough, multiple successive cuts will have a cumulative effect and their order won't matter assuming you consider the advice of @yyz67 about distortion. I'd also include dynamic effects like compressors in that list.

If the chain didn't have non-linear components (esp. amp, drive, compressor), it wouldn't matter (or not matter hugely) where you trim low/high. But where cuts happen can make a huge difference to distortion and tone. For example no low cut into an amp/drive can result in flubby/farty compressed distortion that can't be dialed out per se.

Thanks for the replies

Ah ok, so by that reckoning it's advisable to make cuts in the drive and amp blocks too?

Nearly always use a drive and obviously always use an amp block.

Compressor is something I need to bone up on before using it... so many effects, so little time - and every time I do plug in it sounds so damn good I end up "wasting" so much time just playing!

Ah ok, so by that reckoning it's advisable to make cuts in the drive and amp blocks too?

Nearly always use a drive and obviously always use an amp block.

It totally depends. Some drives have significant cuts by default (e.g. tube screamer) which when fed into some amps fit well. Others might be more bass heavy or shrill and depending on the amp that could work or not. Some amps need bass turned way down and/or low cut to not flub out.

Like they say here, use your ears not your eyes. But starting with CAB and then AMP / DRV depending on how it sounds is usually good enough.

Apologies if this has been answered before but if I'm applying my low & hi cuts (80Hz & 7500Hz) in the cab block, then is applying them anywhere else in the chain such as in filter & eq blocks a waste of time?

I'm guessing so, but wanted to check
For live use I don't apply eq cuts in the amp block. I add an EQ block at the end of the chain right in front of out 1 and 2. I usually low cut 80hz and hi cut between 6k and 8k, depending on PA HF drivers.

Back
Top Bottom