QUICK HELP: connecting ART SLA-2 to a 4x12 cab

ML SOUND LAB

Cab Pack Wizard
Vendor
I'm making an order from Thomann and I'm buying an ART SLA-2, a 4x12 cab and all the cables I need to connect them into a setup. The problem (for me) is that SLA-2 has space ship shuttle connections on the back of it instead of what I thought it would have. This is the first time I ever heard of a banana plug.

How do I connect the SLA-2 into a stereo 4x12 cab without being an educated electrician or getting myself electrocuted? :lol:

Like I mentioned I'm making an order from Thomann so it would be best if I found the cables from their site. Now, they sell this: http://www.thomann.de/fi/hicon_banane_hibm04wht.htm That looks nice but that's not a cable. How do I make this into a cable?

Thanks guys!

While many choose to use the "Banana Plugs" which fit into those, they are also "binding posts" which means that bare wire ends can be attached - the red & black pieces on the amps are threaded. I prefer the bare wire method for a guitar rig, it's a more reliable connection, fewer parts and easier to repair. I just coil the speaker cables up inside the rack, one less connection at gig time.

Buy a good quality 10' speaker cable, cut it in half, strip the ends to 1/2" or so bare wire. Wire one to each set of binding posts. Double check polarity. Red is positive, usually the ground wire is marked or you can just unscrew a plug and check. Set cab to stereo, plug in cables, rock out.

If your cab is 16 ohm mono/8 ohm stereo, there is no benefit in bridging the amp as they will present the same load. I prefer to run the Axe in stereo on stage, even if sending mono to FOH.

Tubetonez thanks for explaining this to me.

I already own a speaker cable that is wayyy too long so I'll probably cut that one into half. I've fixed my own guitar cables from when I was young so this should be easy. When I cut it to half, what will I find? Does it look like the highest cable here?

P500-S-50MT.jpg

I'm assuming the red wire goes to the red pole in the ART SLA-2 and the same thing for the black one. Is that the grounding wire that comes out from the black wire? Where do I put that?

Thanks dude, I appreciate your help!

Clark Kent said:
Tubetonez thanks for explaining this to me.

I already own a speaker cable that is wayyy too long so I'll probably cut that one into half. I've fixed my own guitar cables from when I was young so this should be easy. When I cut it to half, what will I find? Does it look like the highest cable here?

P500-S-50MT.jpg

I'm assuming the red wire goes to the red pole in the ART SLA-2 and the same thing for the black one. Is that the grounding wire that comes out from the black wire? Where do I put that?

Thanks dude, I appreciate your help!

That would be a strain relief, usually nylon string or similar. You only need two connections on each cable, the black and red on that pictured cable makes it easy. Just make sure that you use speaker cables, these will have two conductors of equal size, you want at least 16ga. Instrument/patch cables will have a tiny inner strand with braided or foil wrapped ground, kind of like coax - don't use those.

Back
Top Bottom