Quick easy acoustic sound with piezo (3 Sigma and Noodler IR)

macfly

Inspired
I see that acoustic sounds have been discussed, but thought I'd drop this here as it is a quick, easy solution.

In my amp rig I'm using a Fishman Aura Spectrum. Those images and my Graph Tech piezo saddles sound amazing. I've recently returned to the AX8 and wanted to recreate my amp rig. Bottom line, after some floundering around with free IRs, I found the 3 Sigma site tonight, downloaded a Martin D45 IR, and very quickly created a great chain: compressor, parametric eq, tube pre, 3 Sigma IR, chorus and reverb.

My piezo is on a push-push switch, so I only have to smack that on the guitar and step on a switch to select the scene with that chain. The other scenes are my usual JCM800 so switching back and forth is pretty easy.

The IR folder also came with files to use with magnetics, but I haven't much faith in that and didn't feel like messing with it today. I will try that in the coming days, 'cause there are gonna be a lot of coming days to fidget with this stuff...unfortunately.

Last edited:
These are better acoustic IRs Noodler - I didn't need to eq or anything...just tube pre > Noodler IR > chorus/reverb to taste. Actually sounds great without chorus or verb...I have them to get a 12-string sound but otherwise not necessary!

Never sure what some "accoustic IRs" are meant to do:
  • Translate an electric to accoustic sound?
  • Translate one type of accoustic guitar tone to another?
  • Model the tone of an accoustic amp guitar cab?
  • Enhance the plugged in tone of an given accoustic guitar?

Not sure about the purpose, but three good uses I've experienced:
  • to make a piezo sound like a mic on an acoustic
  • to get decent tone at higher volumes, especially in front of wedges, with the soundhole plugged
  • to make a piezo on an electric sound a lot more like a real acoustic

Back
Top Bottom