Questions for my fellow Axe FX III Owners - Possible issues

Icarusuki

I am having an noise/popping issues, and I am not sure if they are normal/expected.

I'm using the Axe FX III into a Matrix GT1000FX into a Mesa Recto 4x12 in stereo.

Here is the way my Axe FX III is wired:

Guitar > Input 1 > Output 2 (XLR Outs) > Input of a Matrix GT1000FX

Cables: Standard guitar cable between the guitar and Axe FX III input. XLR cables between Output 2 and the Matrix.

The first thing I noticed is that there is an quiet, but audible hissing/noise starts when the Axe FX III completes startup. My Axe FX II XL+ was silent, in comparison.

The noise occurs no matter which preset is loaded (or if the preset is empty). It doesn't matter how the output knobs are set (even all the way down). It happens when the tuner/mute is active. It doesn't matter if anything is connected to the Axe FX III inputs. It doesn't matter which outputs are used, nor what kind of cables (XLR or 1/4"). It does not matter how the ground/lifts buttons are set.

This is not a big deal, in the grand scheme of things - it's noticeable, but not loud. I thought I'd see if anyone else has experienced this.

The bigger issue I'm having is this:

There is a LOUD pop when I power the Axe FX III on followed by a very loud hissing/static/white noise, which trails off and stops after 10-15 seconds. The longer the Axe FX III was off, the longer the noise lasts. If I power the Axe FX III on again after a very short amount of time (within 10-20 minutes), there is no hissing or pop on power up.

It seems that the hissing/white noise only comes from one Channel of the which ever output I am using. It does not seem to send the pop or noise to the PA, I only hear it through the Matrix.

When powering off, there is another, very loud POP. This does not occur when I use 1/4" Cables with Output 1. This occurs anytime I use XLRs (including Output 1) or any other output. It doesn't matter if I use XLR to XLR or XLR to 1/4" TS or TRS.

Everything works pretty much normally, compared to the Axe FX II, when wired like this:

Guitar > Input 1 > Output 1 (1/4" Outs) > Input of a Matrix GT1000FX

I would prefer to use Output 2 with the Matrix, because presets are all defaulted to send cab emulation to Output 1, but I cannot abide the pops and noise.

So my question is, obviously, is this happening for anyone else?

[Update]
So, my Axe FX III is off on its way back from whence it came. Hopefully, I'll have a replacement unit sooner rather than later, as I'd already sold off my Axe FX II and I have gigs coming up.

Here is the video of the issue.One thing to note, the clicks and pops near the end with Output 1 & 1/4" cables are all quieter than the noise of just physically flipping the power switch on.

Last edited:
I appreciate the response, but it's not really helpful for the issue at hand. I'm not looking for a work-around (I already have one of those). The issue I'm experiencing was not present with the Axe FX II and behaves differently depending on the output and type of cable I use. I'd like to know if this is inherent to the Axe FX III, or if it is something specific to my unit and/or setup.

I am having an noise/popping issues, and I am not sure if they are normal/expected.

I'm using the Axe FX III into a Matrix GT1000FX into a Mesa Recto 4x12 in stereo.

Here is the way my Axe FX III is wired:

Guitar > Input 1 > Output 2 (XLR Outs) > Input of a Matrix GT1000FX

Cables: Standard guitar cable between the guitar and Axe FX III input. XLR cables between Output 2 and the Matrix.

The first thing I noticed is that there is an quiet, but audible hissing/noise starts when the Axe FX III completes startup. My Axe FX II XL+ was silent, in comparison.

The noise occurs no matter which preset is loaded (or if the preset is empty). It doesn't matter how the output knobs are set (even all the way down). It happens when the tuner/mute is active. It doesn't matter if anything is connected to the Axe FX III inputs. It doesn't matter which outputs are used, nor what kind of cables (XLR or 1/4"). It does not matter how the ground/lifts buttons are set.

This is not a big deal, in the grand scheme of things - it's noticeable, but not loud. I thought I'd see if anyone else has experienced this.

There is a LOUD pop when I power the Axe FX III on followed by a very loud hissing/static/white noise, which trails off and stops after 10-15 seconds. The longer the Axe FX III was off, the longer the noise lasts. If I power the Axe FX III on again after a very short amount of time (within 10-20 minutes), there is no hissing or pop on power up.

It seems that the hissing/white noise only comes from one Channel of the which ever output I am using. It does not seem to send the pop or noise to the PA, I only hear it through the Matrix.

When powering off, there is another, very loud POP. This does not occur when I use 1/4" Cables with Output 1. This occurs anytime I use XLRs (including Output 1) or any other output. It doesn't matter if I use XLR to XLR or XLR to 1/4" TS or TRS.

Everything works pretty much normally, compared to the Axe FX II, when wired like this:

Guitar > Input 1 > Output 1 (1/4" Outs) > Input of a Matrix GT1000FX

I would prefer to use Output 2 with the Matrix, because presets are all defaulted to send cab emulation to Output 1, but I cannot abide the pops and noise.

There may be something wrong with your unit. First thing I would do is replace all cables and bypass your power amp and go into your computer direct. If all of the above is still happening, you may have an issue. Another thing that may cause that is your levels being too high. Another thing is trying to import Axe 2 presets into Axe 3. It can be done, but there is software for that. As a last resort, you may want to clear all your preset that you made and do a factory reboot. The leveling is different on this unit compared to the 2. The main thing is if you bypass your Matrix and check your levels, or you are not using any AXE2 preset and all works well, then it is probably your Matrix. It it is still happening, you may have an issue with your Axe 3. At that point I would set up a ticket. One other thing that I just thought of is if you are using a high gain setting, maybe your noise gate setting in your input block may be set too low. That will cause a lot of white noise also.

My experience with my IIXL+ (Ultra, II and XL) is that if I powered down before the power amp I always had a pop. So for that reason power amps are always last to power up and first to power down. My III however is quite in that regard. I thought I had read a comment from Cliff that the III senses power down or up and mutes the outputs temporarily.

I have not noticed the white noise you describe nor any of the other issues. Sounds like something may be wrong with your unit unfortunately.

I could be wrong on that. I have never did that, but someone posted that they did and used software from fractal to do it. I don't know why someone would post that if it were untrue.
It doesn't sound like his issue has anything to do with presets, so I'm not sure how importing Axe 2 presets into Axe 3 relates anyway...

There is a LOUD pop when I power the Axe FX III on...
When powering off, there is another, very loud POP. This does not occur when I use 1/4" Cables with Output 1.

I get the loud pop when I power the Axe-Fx III on, and when I power it off. Quite loud, loud enough to hurt my ears when I'm wearing headphones to monitor at a reasonable volume.

The pop happens for me even with 1/4" cables from output 1, going into my audio interface... :/

I don't think I have the hiss/white-noise thing though, is it really noticeable for you or is it one of those things you have to pay attention to hear?

My Axe FX III (and the Axe FX II before it) are setup in a 6U Rack with a Furman Power distributor and a 2U Matrix GT1000FX. I normally powered up and down with the Furman. This has never been an issue until I used the other outputs on the Axe FX III. The Matrix make a quiet pop when you power it down, no matter how, but it is delayed by a few hundred milliseconds from the switch.

I don't think I have the hiss/white-noise thing though, is it really noticeable for you or is it one of those things you have to pay attention to hear?

The quieter hiss is not too noticeable. It sounds like typical amp hiss, except it doesn't seem like it should exist with all of the levels turned down. In a band situation, it wouldn't be audible. I only noticed because my studio is usually dead quiet and my guitar rig is next to my workstation. It is not present when I disconnect the Matrix inputs, so I know it is not the Matrix. The Axe FX II didn't make the hiss (I A/B tested them before I sold the Axe FX II).

The loud pop is how you describe. LOUD. The louder hiss is extremely noticeable, like a TV with no signal, turned up fairly loud. I will try to capture a recording, either audio or video. I'm not sure how I will upload them, though.

I thought I had read a comment from Cliff that the III senses power down or up and mutes the outputs temporarily.

I thought I had read this somewhere as well. It took me a little while to notice the issue, because I initially set it up with the 1/4" output 1 ports. It only became apparent when I decided to "upgrade" to XLRs on Output 2.

There may be something wrong with your unit. First thing I would do is replace all cables and bypass your power amp and go into your computer direct. If all of the above is still happening, you may have an issue. Another thing that may cause that is your levels being too high. Another thing is trying to import Axe 2 presets into Axe 3. It can be done, but there is software for that. As a last resort, you may want to clear all your preset that you made and do a factory reboot. The leveling is different on this unit compared to the 2. The main thing is if you bypass your Matrix and check your levels, or you are not using any AXE2 preset and all works well, then it is probably your Matrix. It it is still happening, you may have an issue with your Axe 3. At that point I would set up a ticket. One other thing that I just thought of is if you are using a high gain setting, maybe your noise gate setting in your input block may be set too low. That will cause a lot of white noise also.

• First thing I would do is replace all cables and bypass your power amp and go into your computer direct.
I've replaced all of the cables several times. I've never heard the pop through my PA, but I will check the headphone output and check levels on my DAW when powering up, to see if sends the pop, and I just haven't seen/heard it before.

• Another thing that may cause that is your levels being too high. One other thing that I just thought of is if you are using a high gain setting, maybe your noise gate setting in your input block may be set too low. That will cause a lot of white noise also. As a last resort, you may want to clear all your preset that you made and do a factory reboot.
I've only created one preset so far (not a copy from the Axe FX II.) These issues occur no matter what preset I use, even when the preset is empty. They occur no matter where the output knobs are set, even all the way down. They happen when nothing is plugged in to the input and the input level is somewhere between 25% & the default 50% (I don't remember where I left that right now.) Besides, the pop and loud hiss occur prior to the presets loading.

• The main thing is if you bypass your Matrix and check your levels, or you are not using any AXE2 preset and all works well, then it is probably your Matrix
I did not have any of these issues with the Axe FX II going into the same Matrix, so I'm not thinking it is the Matrix.

"I thought I had read this somewhere as well. It took me a little while to notice the issue, because I initially set it up with the 1/4" output 1 ports. It only became apparent when I decided to "upgrade" to XLRs on Output 2."

Running XLR's out of Output 1 here. I'll have to try Output 2 and see if I get similar results.

Is your Axe FX III connected to your computer via the USB cable? Sometimes this can generate hiss even if it didn't with other modelers. I have no idea on you loud pop though.

Is your Axe FX III connected to your computer via the USB cable? Sometimes this can generate hiss even if it didn't with other modelers. I have no idea on you loud pop though.

It behaves the same with the USB cable or not.

I have also verified that it does send the pop and hiss to my DAW and PA via Output 2. I think I just never had the speakers on before the Axe FX III. In this test, the Matrix was completely disconnected.

I have created a video of the loud issues, but I don't think I have a good way to post it here. Is there an IMGUR for video?

This sounds exactly like an issue I just experienced. I immediately contacted support and they issued me an RMA# and UPS call tag (free shipping) to return the unit in for service. Ultimately in the end they sent me a replacement unit.

I would start with opening a support ticket and go from there. They responded very quickly. Maybe you will have a better outcome..? Although I'm not complaining, couldn't ask for better service..

One the positive, The service was unprecedented. I shipped the unit out immediately, and after it was tested and verified by Fractal they had a new unit in my hands within the week (I'm on the east coast, so your shipping ETA may vary).

Good luck!

This sounds exactly like an issue I just experienced. I immediately contacted support and they issued me an RMA# and UPS call tag (free shipping) to return the unit in for service. Ultimately in the end they sent me a replacement unit.

I would start with opening a support ticket and go from there. They responded very quickly. Maybe you will have a better outcome..? Although I'm not complaining, couldn't ask for better service..

One the positive, The service was unprecedented. I shipped the unit out immediately, and after it was tested and verified by Fractal they had a new unit in my hands within the week (I'm on the east coast, so your shipping ETA may vary).

Good luck!
You got it RMA for the loud pops while power on/off? Or RMA for the hissing noise issue?

Back
Top Bottom