Questions About The April Shipments...

A light-hearted treatment of this question follows.

It always surprises me how little curiosity people seem to have about the meanings of words. I am pleased to see some interest here, albeit off-topic in this subforum.

In fact, no one knows the real meaning of the word April. As an actual living form, its meaning is plebeian: April is the fourth month in our Gregorian calendar. Examining the word's history adds some points of interest but ultimately leads to unknown origins in the shadowed past. One possibility is that the month's name stems from the Latin ap(e)rilis, meaning "second," thus indicating its position within the pre-Julian calendar. I personally like this idea as it would put April in the list with four other number-name months. Others (like the "Farmer's Almanac", "Quora" and many more) propound a derivation from the Latin aperire (to open), because April is indeed the month during which many plants and flowers open. Wikipedia even lists this idea first among possibilities, but I'm with those who consider it to be a "folk etymology." (You can find comically bad false-cognate linkages of "April" to "Aperture" and "Opportunity," two types of "openings" with completely unrelated roots.) Another suggestion is that the month's name evokes love, as in Aphrodite. Only those interested solely in waitlist politics and policies would miss the implications of this tempting suggestion, as love certainly is in the air in the springtime, but alas there's no real proof for this theory either. The Online Etymology Dictionary shares my personal view that this month's name is "from a stem of uncertain origin and meaning". It definitely came to English from the Romans, and although a pre-12th C. Germanic name for the period probably persists as "Easter," the changeover has already filtered down to the middle classes by the time Chaucer enshrines "Aprille's" name in the opening couplet of his iconic Canterbury Tales. The Oxford English dictionary offers a detailed entry for April, with many more nicely descriptive examples.

On a personal level, I'm sure we would each answer the question, "What does April mean to me?" in a different way. In present circumstances this seems a rather insipid exercise, but you asked. For me, April means some family birthdays and a few anniversaries of the milestones of my life. This April, I'll probably open the windows and doors wide and use an electric leaf blower and fan to remove dust from my studio office. I don't attach very special significance to any of any of this.

In terms of the FM3, "April" is the month named in the text of the current Fractal Audio FM3 Waitlist Invitation to provide a sense to customers of when they might expect FM3 units with a headphones jack to begin to be available through waitlist invitations. This means that "some time during the month of April" we're expecting to change what's on offer through the invitation(s)*. If you purchase a first-run unit, we'll remove your name from the waitlist at that time (though you could conceivably add yourself again to the end of the list). Meanwhile, we cannot and will not: estimate when you'll get an invitation, tell you how many people are on the list (a lot), or tell you what your position in line is. Entries on the list are serviced in the order in which they are received.

As was pointed out in the comment above by @FractalAudio, this week we learned that factors beyond our control are also in play. Namely, the coronavirus has caused some chaos in a global electronics industry already rocked by shortages. Whatever the effects of this turn out to be, responses to the news should be accompanied by a little empathy among those of us lucky not to be affected by the true crisis. Meanwhile, do the best you can with a little uncertainty and try and keep things in perspective.

Here is the picture I made to explain how we'll send invitations in two different transition scenarios:

View attachment 63837

Great info and chart. THANKS!!

It always surprises me how little curiosity people seem to have about the meanings of words. I am pleased to see some interest here, albeit off-topic in this subforum.

In fact, no one knows the real meaning of the word April. As an actual living form, its meaning is plebeian: April is the fourth month in our Gregorian calendar. Examining the word's history adds some points of interest but ultimately leads to unknown origins in the shadowed past. One possibility is that the month's name stems from the Latin ap(e)rilis, meaning "second," thus indicating its position within the pre-Julian calendar. I personally like this idea as it would put April in the list with four other number-name months. Others (like the "Farmer's Almanac", "Quora" and many more) propound a derivation from the Latin aperire (to open), because April is indeed the month during which many plants and flowers open. Wikipedia even lists this idea first among possibilities, but I'm with those who consider it to be a "folk etymology." (You can find comically bad false-cognate linkages of "April" to "Aperture" and "Opportunity," two types of "openings" with completely unrelated roots.) Another suggestion is that the month's name evokes love, as in Aphrodite. Only those interested solely in waitlist politics and policies would miss the implications of this tempting suggestion, as love certainly is in the air in the springtime, but alas there's no real proof for this theory either. The Online Etymology Dictionary shares my personal view that this month's name is "from a stem of uncertain origin and meaning". It definitely came to English from the Romans, and although a pre-12th C. Germanic name for the period probably persists as "Easter," the changeover has already filtered down to the middle classes by the time Chaucer enshrines "Aprille's" name in the opening couplet of his iconic Canterbury Tales. The Oxford English dictionary offers a detailed entry for April, with many more nicely descriptive examples.

On a personal level, I'm sure we would each answer the question, "What does April mean to me?" in a different way. In present circumstances this seems a rather insipid exercise, but you asked. For me, April means some family birthdays and a few anniversaries of the milestones of my life. This April, I'll probably open the windows and doors wide and use an electric leaf blower and fan to remove dust from my studio office. I don't attach very special significance to any of any of this.

In terms of the FM3, "April" is the month named in the text of the current Fractal Audio FM3 Waitlist Invitation to provide a sense to customers of when they might expect FM3 units with a headphones jack to begin to be available through waitlist invitations. This means that "some time during the month of April" we're expecting to change what's on offer through the invitation(s)*. If you purchase a first-run unit, we'll remove your name from the waitlist at that time (though you could conceivably add yourself again to the end of the list). Meanwhile, we cannot and will not: estimate when you'll get an invitation, tell you how many people are on the list (a lot), or tell you what your position in line is. Entries on the list are serviced in the order in which they are received.

As was pointed out in the comment above by @FractalAudio, this week we learned that factors beyond our control are also in play. Namely, the coronavirus has caused some chaos in a global electronics industry already rocked by shortages. Whatever the effects of this turn out to be, responses to the news should be accompanied by a little empathy among those of us lucky not to be affected by the true crisis. Meanwhile, do the best you can with a little uncertainty and try and keep things in perspective.

Here is the picture I made to explain how we'll send invitations in two different transition scenarios:

View attachment 63837
1581879074873.png

• Haha
Reactions: jon

In fact, no one knows the real meaning of the word April. As an actual living form, its meaning is plebeian: April is the fourth month in our Gregorian calendar. Examining the word's history adds some points of interest but ultimately leads to unknown origins in the shadowed past. One possibility is that the month's name stems from the Latin ap(e)rilis, meaning "second," thus indicating its position within the pre-Julian calendar. I personally like this idea as it would put April in the list with four other number-name months. Others (like the "Farmer's Almanac", "Quora" and many more) propound a derivation from the Latin aperire (to open), because April is indeed the month during which many plants and flowers open. Wikipedia even lists this idea first among possibilities, but I'm with those who consider it to be a "folk etymology." (You can find comically bad false-cognate linkages of "April" to "Aperture" and "Opportunity," two "opening" words with completely unrelated roots.) Another suggestion is that the month's name evokes love, as in Aphrodite. Only those interested solely in waitlist politics and policies would miss the implications of this tempting suggestion, as love certainly is in the air in the springtime, but alas there's no real proof for this theory either. The Online Etymology Dictionary shares my personal view that this month's name is "from a stem of uncertain origin and meaning". It definitely came to English from the Romans, and although a pre-12th C. Germanic name for the period probably persists as "Easter," the changeover has already filtered down to the middle classes by the time Chaucer enshrined "Aprille's" name in the opening couplet of his iconic Canterbury Tales. The Oxford English dictionary offers a detailed entry for April, with many more nicely descriptive examples.

As was pointed out in the comment above by @FractalAudio, this week we learned that factors beyond our control are also in play. Namely, the coronavirus has caused some chaos in a global electronics industry already rocked by shortages. Whatever the effects of this turn out to be, responses to the news should be accompanied by a little empathy among those of us lucky not to be affected by this true crisis. Meanwhile, do the best you can with life's little uncertainties and try to keep things in perspective.

*Here is the picture I made to explain how we'll send invitations in two different transition scenarios:

View attachment 63837
I couldn't love you more, @Admin M@.

@Admin M@ So out of curiosity, what are you thoughts on August? :oops:

My birth month in Picone Prose would be sweet! * ducking *

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: jon
What is hard to understand?

They expect April. Both Cliff and Matt have conveyed this, and they also expressed; This isn't a guarantee, it's them answering everyone's question on when they EXPECT to have the next shipment w/ a headphone jack ready for customers.

I Really admire the patience being shown from FAS. so many people do not even deserve to be part of this community IMHO.

I really appreciate Cliff and M@ keeping us in the loop as regards the shipments from China. What a mess they've got over there!
I would respectfully request that maybe once you know the FM3s have successfully left the country, please just let us know that much. At least then we'll know that we're back on track. Of course you don't have to, but it would be awesome to know. Thanks!!!

I really appreciate Cliff and M@ keeping us in the loop as regards the shipments from China. What a mess they've got over there!
I would respectfully request that maybe once you know the FM3s have successfully left the country, please just let us know that much. At least then we'll know that we're back on track. Of course you don't have to, but it would be awesome to know. Thanks!!!
Everyone on the list should be prepared to get the invitation mail someday. That is the only thing that matters in my oppinion 🤷‍♂️🙂 the FM 3 will be the heart of my rig and I am really convinced of it so that I do not care anymore WHEN I get my invitation mail... That will be a great day and if you do not want to wait anymore you can go for any other company that produces digital amp modeling devices but don't be surprised if it does not feels or sounds as good as FAS 😉

It's not about waiting. For some of us it's about having the funds ready. We don't all have bottomless bank accounts. ;)
I have it ready, too 😉

I just wanted to mention that I am getting tired of people speculating on waitlist entries and estimations on when the units get shipped to all of us.
Therefore I like to write and discuss every aspect of the FM 3 here but when it comes to shipment I am only searching for postings of Cliff or Matt as they KNOW what is going on 🙂👍

Interesting exploration into how I justify things to myself.

A: I don't really care about headphones, so I hope I get a first-run invite. I'd save 50 bucks!

B: If I get a "choice" invite at only $50 more, I'd take the extra jack. Just in case, and for future resale. It's only 50 bucks!

This has forced me to contemplate when all I really wanted to do is give my money to Fractal asap.

Back
Top Bottom