Questions About FM3

L_N

Have never played through a modeller before and I’ve been recently considering buying an FM3 for practice/gigs. Was wondering if latency is something that may be noticeable/distracting when compared to analogue gear? And if it is, would the FM9 possibly be any better for this?

Any other possible pros/cons of the FM3 and FM9 would also be appreciated since I’m still undecided, but heavily leaning towards the FM3 since it costs less.

Thanks!

Have never played through a modeller before and I’ve been recently considering buying an FM3 for practice/gigs. Was wondering if latency is something that may be noticeable/distracting when compared to analogue gear? And if it is, would the FM9 possibly be any better for this?

Any other possible pros/cons of the FM3 and FM9 would also be appreciated since I’m still undecided, but heavily leaning towards the FM3 since it costs less.

Thanks!
Latency should be the same in both units, ~1.7 milliseconds, which is about the same as being 20 inches from your amp when you’re playing. In other words, it’s not noticeable at all. Unless you need to run two amps at once and use a ton of effects, I’d recommend going with the FM3.

Before I got my FM3, I played exclusively through amps (Matchless, Fender, and Marshall). I got my FM3 at the beginning of the year; since then I’ve spent maybe 30 minutes total playing through my amps, and I play more now than I ever did before.

Last edited:
Before I got my FM3, I played exclusively through amps (Matchless, Fender, and Marshall). I got my FM3 at the beginning of the year; since then I’ve spent maybe 30 minutes total playing through my amps, and I play more now than I ever did before.

Pretty much a replica of that going on here. :)

I do run the FM3 into the FX Return of some of my amps, though. Mostly in high volume,m
full band settings.

It’s nothing I’ve ever noticed, after 25 years of playing through amps.

As for which one might be better for you, it entirely depends on how much horsepower you need and how much switching you’ll be doing. The FM3 is still a powerful little beast as far as switching with just 3 footswitches and you could always add an FC6 if you needed more, but I figure at that point, just spend the extra bucks and go for an FM9.

I’d watch some vids on programming the footswitches so you can get an idea of what the FM3 is capable of. I know in most band situations I’ve been in in the past, I could get through a set with just a few presets and switching up and down the scenes.

I measured the latency at around 2-3ms. Whether it's 3ms or 1.7, you're most likely not going to notice it AT ALL. Now, if you add more gear in the chain, like an H9 (3ms), an HX Stomp (3ms), a wireless unit, (3ms), then you'll start to notice it feels a little less 'immediate.' YMMV, of course, but the short answer is that for 99.9999% of people, the native latency in the unit is not bad at all.

That said, the virtual capo (Fractal's poly pitch shifter) still has noticeable latency (30-45ms), but hopefully we'll get the Axe Fx III's improved pitch block which significantly reduces the latency of the Virtual Capo. We may not, though, as it's been on the Axe III slightly longer than the FM3 has been in existence and the FM3 has been in existence for 18 months, give or take. I'm more or less resigned to it NEVER getting the improved pitch block.

So, the unit itself is great in terms of latency, but if you use different tunings and were planning on using the Virtual Capo, you may need to add an additional pedal like the Drop if you want lower latency. All that said, I play in a cover band as the rhythm guitarist and as long as you're not doing anything too intricate, it's fine. It also sounds like trash on clean tones, so watch out for that.

Same story here.

No noticeable latency.

No noticeable lag on the FM3 besides the pitch block as pointed out. The choice between FM3 and 9 boils down to how many effects will you want to use in one preset. I use reverb, delay, drive, rotary, and the looper block. I can run those with no issues. I could still add more, like a compressor and filters, plus stuff I haven't even tried yet. If I wanted to use higher quality reverb, phase, pitch, chorus plus my regular stuff then the 9 would be a better choice. Plus I'm stuck with 1 amp at a time. The 9 will run 2 amps. There are ways around the lower power of the FM3. External reverb, lower quality reverb, multiple presets that can handle the extra effects for certain songs etc. I won't be buying the 9 for a few years. And who knows what will be out then. Just because Fractal put out a better unit doesn't mean the FM3 is a low quality choice by any means. Both FM3 and 9 will make great guitar tones. Also keep in mind a speaker solution. You need a quality speaker or monitors etc to get the most out of whichever you choose.

I don't notice any latence when I'm playing in my Fm3. But you know why my wah with the expression pedal arrives only at 88% in the control indicator?. Is posible to calibrate de expression pedal with the Fm3?. In my g-system is posible that calibration

Thanks!
As others have mentioned, there is not any noticeable latency when playing through a FM3. In terms of which is better the FM3 vs the FM9 it really boils down to your needs - which coming to modelers for the first time can be difficult to gauge.

I have two FM3s - one for gigging and one for at home/backup, and I love the device. As with many of the other members replies, my tube amps mostly sit now. The last record I did, I used my my amps in conjunction with the studio's kemper for my rhythm tracks, but all the solos/fills, etc. were the FM3. Its is a great unit - if you have not done so yet, I highly recommend watching Leon Todd's videos on YouTube - they are a wealth of information.

In one of the bands I am in, the FM3 without a foot controller would be fine, in the other, I need more buttons. The FM3 meets all my needs in the one band, in the other, it would be nice to have the ability to have another reverb block for my local monitor output - which is why I put my self on the waitlist for the FM9.

As others have mentioned it has more CPU power, can run two amps, etc. If you do not need any of that - or an external foot controller, maybe the FM3 is the way to go. If you do need an external FC or want to run two amp blocks, maybe look at the FM9.

Good luck on your search!

I don't notice any latence when I'm playing in my Fm3. But you know why my wah with the expression pedal arrives only at 88% in the control indicator?. Is posible to calibrate de expression pedal with the Fm3?. In my g-system is posible that calibration
Yes it's possible, on page 10 of the manual you can find the procedure to calibrate the pedal
FM3 owners manual

For the OT, I can just say that after a lot of modellers (Line 6, Boss, Zoom) and softwares (Amplitube, Overloud, Positive Grid) with the FM3 I immediately found my tone.. every day is a new discover, you can't go wrong

Yes it's possible, on page 10 of the manual you can find the procedure to calibrate the pedal
FM3 owners manual

For the OT, I can just say that after a lot of modellers (Line 6, Boss, Zoom) and softwares (Amplitube, Overloud, Positive Grid) with the FM3 I immediately found my tone.. every day is a new discover, you can't go wrong
Thanks, I'm going to do it this afternoon

Back
Top Bottom