Question regarding using the AxeFX into a guitar amp input

mtmartin71

Experienced
I've got a Marshall 2061x and it has no effects loop. It can be set up to run as a clean platform and for some stages where I need a bigger stage sound or I can't rely on the PA as it's unknown, then I'd want to carry some sound with my amp. I'm thinking my AxeFX drives are better than the RP1000 drives so I want to use the AxeFX to replace my RP1000...as a stompbox modeler vs. an amp/cab modeler. I don't want to do any complex routings at this point and split one sound to FOH and another to the amp. No need for that. What I do want to figure out though is the right way to go about dialing in the AxeFX to talk with my Marshall through it's input. I tried to set up some patches with no amp/cab and just the effects I'd need and didn't care for the sound. I "think" I used the unbalanced output 1 to do that. In reading some other threads, the inference is that I should be using Output 2 and then putting a "FX Loop" block in my layout at the end to better match the levels between the guitar, AxeFX, and the amp. Is that what I was missing? Could someone guide me through the best way to use my Axe in this application?

Re: Question regarding using the AxeFX into a guitar amp inp

I'll kill my own post...I decided after trying it last night that an AxeFX through the front of guitar preamp is kind of clunky. Clearly you have a TON of routing possibilities with dedicated preamps and power amps or amps with effects loops. No, I think the Line 6 M13 is probably the best, stage-worthy stomp box modeler if you just want to stick something in front of a NMV, non-effects loop amp. Plus I like more gear... :lol:

That's funny, I'm going the other way. I have an m13 for my tube amps and I just started getting the Axe setup to replace it. You can get as complex as you want, but you should only need to plug your guitar in the front input and send output 1 to the amp. You can start with a really simple patch just to test it out (put just a drive and a delay, for example). I tried to match the out level of the Axe bypassed to plugging the guitar directly into the amp. From the little I did, it seemed like about noon on the output dial was unity gain. Then, I matched the patch output level to the bypass level (so it should be unity, also, unless you're adding a boost).

I have been using the axe straight in to my amp and its great as an effects unit. I used the global eq to match the direct amp sound and boosted the over all level by a couple of db's to match the amp volume(when plugging in directly in to the amp)

Back
Top Bottom