Question regarding the Axe fx 2 - Marshall 9200 - Atomic Cab combo

Melchitt

Hi all

After a long absence from playing I have finally found a real passion to get back on the horse.

Many moons ago I was in the unfortunate position where I had to sell much of my gear to pay for rent etc etc, I am sure many of us have been there but that aside I managed to save a few bits and bobs.
I managed to keep my old Marshall 9200 which is approaching 20 years old and still in fine form so I am happy with that. I would really like some advice before going any farther though, having read many of the posts in these forums
the advice given here seems both pragmatic and excellent, so to my mind this is the best place to start.

I have spent the last year reviewing what is available and I have settled on finally treating myself to the Axe fx 2, and let me tell you I cannot wait!!!! Also, as sentimental as I am I can't bear to part with my 9200 and I want to combine it with the Axe Fx 2 for garage playing etc. As far as cabs go I am looking at the Atomic Passive cab.

I know there are amp sims built in and this will come into play when I start recording again, but for now I would really like some general feedback on this (very simple) combo and the quality, and am I on the right track? Is is a nice combo? Has anyone any experience with this combination?

Also if I post this in the wrong forum many apologies (I rarely post in any forum).

Last edited:
Hey, my recommendation would be to stay away from the atomic cab. Especially if you run the 9200. The Marshall sounds KILLER with the Axe and two real cabs... I have posted a very personal review on the several setups I have used the Axe with in this forum. The 9100 and 2 Bogner cubes are perfect for me....

The 9200 is a heavy, big sounding monster that is perfectly suited for regular guitar cabs. If you want to use that, I'd recommend getting a guitar cab (or two). With a 4x12" and an open back 1x12" you'd have a crazy monster setup, playing heavy tones through the 4x12" and combo'ish tones through the 1x12". With the Axe, this is easy to do. Perhaps a bit overkill, but possible and quite easy to do. The real guitar cabs will make your tone and amp-guitar interaction just like what you're used to with regular amps. On the other hand, you do lose the extreme versatility of being able to switch the IRs and therefore get radically different tones. The guitar cab will impart its flavor to everything you play through it. Also, since you already have the 9200, this is the most affordable way to start. I started with my open 2x12", it had great Voxy tones, but everything else sounded wrong, so now I use a PA speaker and IR's. If the Voxy tones was all I needed, I'd have continued with the guitar cab.

Thank you both so much, this is really appreciated advice!!!! I have a little bit of time to play with so that will allow me to research the various cabs, what to consider and equally as important, the ones to avoid, oh and and pricing too :)
Do you both mind if I ask which cabs you use(d)?

Once again christopherzberlin and aziz, thank you :)

I am using 2 bogner 1x12 cubes with V30's... stellar sounding cabs for high gain but also combo-ish clean sounds... bogner designed them to sound like 4x12's. lot's of volume and bass... the suhr 1x12 and custom audio 1x12 are both almost identical. the size is perfect for a transportable stereo setup (which I would go for with the 9200), have fun experimenting and let us know the result!

Back
Top Bottom