Question regarding how scenes work....

cannibal

I've been seeing a lot of picture of FX8s with labels that make it seem like the boards are setup like a stompbox pedalboard, which I do not want.
Here's my question, while I'm on the current waitlist for the next production run to come out....
Lets say I have a 13 song set list and I want 13 pedalboards (I'm assuming that's what a scene is...), where each one is one of the songs on my setlist. And, within that I can setup my lead channel, rythem, any FX I may need, etc.....
Then I just scroll through the scenes as I play the set.
I ask because not all the songs I play have the same lead sound, or rythem, etc.... Some songs have a vintage tone, some are more modern.....

So like.....Song 1 and it's settings, then go to song 2 with all of its settings, then scroll to song 3, etc.......

I'm assuming it can, hell my 90's midi rig did that, but Im not seeing anyone setup that way... I don't want a $1000 paperweight....haha

You are describing Presets. Presets can have different everythings.

Scenes basically turn on/off multiple (or single) things at once with one button press, and these things are what you chose for the current Preset.

Chorus and delay off but drive on all with one button press = Scene. Completely different set of drives delays, add a trem block remove the phaser = Preset.

ok, so you can have 8 presets at a time, right, because there are 8 buttons on the board?
Can I setup all 8 buttons to be all the presets for one song, then scroll to another "board" with 8 presets for that song, etc...?

Kinda like on a PC where you can create folders. So my folders would be the song titles, and inside each folder would be the preset for that song/folder. I would need 13 folders, for example....Where each folder represents the entire pedalboard.

I had an old digitech piece of garbage a while back and on it's screen was the name of a song, the switches were programmed for that song, now we're on song 2, the display would show the new song name and now the 8 switches were the presets for song 2, and so on, and so on.....

Can I setup all 8 buttons to be all the presets for one song, then scroll to another "board" with 8 presets for that song, etc...?
yes. there are "Banks" of Presets, each holding 8 Presets. many ways to use it, so definitely start with an idea to get going, but be ready to learn about Scenes and other methods to make things even easier. it will be much easier once you have the gear as well.

For what you are describing, You would use a 'Preset' for each song.

A 'Preset' is like a complete 'rig'. All of the blocks that you need for that song are loaded, in the order needed. With the switches assigned the way you need them for that song. Bottom row for 1, 2. 4, or 4 scenes?, top row for on/off switches?, or blank?. Only assign what you need....

Each 'Preset' (rig) automatically has 8 'Scenes' available. You can setup as many of them as needed. 2 scenes in one 'Preset', 4 scenes in another, etc.....

Each 'Scene' can turn 'on' and 'off' any number of blocks that exist in that 'Preset' (rig). Switch the 'X/Y' state of any block (that has this feature). And some other cool stuff using the 'Scene Controllers' to modify one or multiple parameters, in multiple blocks, each with their own start and stop values, at different rates, on a per-scene basis. (when you're ready)

OK, that sounds right, plus way more than I expected. I figured there's no way something made today would have less functionality that something made 25 yrs ago (my old setup).
But the fact there there are so many possibilities is awesome! Now I just need them in stock....haha

@Moke is spot on.

I initially found the terminology hard to grasp, hard to know what was really going on with scenes. I write manuals for a living.

Anyway, another way to think of it is that a preset represents an entire virtual pedalboard. You decide which effects are on the board for each preset. You get 8 blocks, but most blocks support an X setting and a Y setting. X and Y can be completely different models, but they have to be the same type. For example, a drive block could have one model for X and another model for Y. This is a really powerful feature because you can effectively almost double the number of effects in each preset if you need to.

Each scene is a snapshot of specific settings you have defined in the preset. X/Y settings for each block, as well as which blocks are on/off.

A lot of guys (me included) create a preset for each song, and arrange them so we can just step through them in sequence during the show.

I assign my bottom buttons to scenes 1-4. I use scenes for song sections: verse, chorus, bridge, solo, whatever. I've never needed more than four.

I assign the top row of buttons to blocks I might want to control (turn on, turn off, X, Y) in realtime.

Once you start working with it, it will become obvious.

One really cool thing about presets vs. discrete analog pedals is that each pedal's settings can be optimized for each preset, whereas a pedal on an analog board will tend to get set to a generally good setting. For example, fuzzes often have lots of good settings but it just isn't practical to stoop down and change settings all night. But you can do that in a preset.

I hope that made sense.

Reactions: Rex
Back
Top Bottom